Schrade # 735

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
DanTX1953

Schrade # 735

Post by DanTX1953 »

Did Schrade ever produce the #735 marlin spike knife with bone handles ?

I am finding some of these knives with synthetic handles , but none with bone so far.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Schrade # 735

Post by orvet »

The first description I have is in 1953 catalog which describes it as "unbreakable stagged handles." While the term stagged handles can refer to jigged bone, I have not seen the word unbreakable used in conjunction with the stagged bone handles, that word is usually reserved for synthetic handle material. In the 1950s that would generally be celluloid or a different type of early plastic. About 1962 Schrade begin using Delrin for handle materials. It was after that point that the word unbreakable was usually used to describe the Delrin handles.

Given that the early catalog descriptions of the handle materials on the 735 is "unbreakable stagged handles," it would be my considered opinion that those handles were the composite material, not bone.

Although I have not seen a Schrade Cut Co. Marlin Spike knife, I would imagine they did make them and probably in bone handles. The early Schrade Walden patterns were often just a continuation of existing Schrade Cut Co. patterns.

I did check Mike Silvey's book, "Pocket Knives of the United States Military," and he shows a Camillus Marlin Spike knife made for the US government in World War II. Interestingly enough it had jigged wood handles. I expect the reason for the wood is that a stiff backspring and a hard snapping spike could easily cause stress cracks in the bone handles and wood is be more be forgiving.

I know this is not a definitive answer, but sometimes with Schrade "maybe" is the best we can get! ::shrug::
I hope this helps.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
DanTX1953

Post by DanTX1953 »

orvet wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:11 am The first description I have is in 1953 catalog which describes it as "unbreakable stagged handles." While the term stagged handles can refer to jigged bone, I have not seen the word unbreakable used in conjunction with the stagged bone handles, that word is usually reserved for synthetic handle material. In the 1950s that would generally be celluloid or a different type of early plastic. About 1962 Schrade begin using Delrin for handle materials. It was after that point that the word unbreakable was usually used to describe the Delrin handles.

Given that the early catalog descriptions of the handle materials on the 735 is "unbreakable stagged handles," it would be my considered opinion that those handles were the composite material, not bone.

Although I have not seen a Schrade Cut Co. Marlin Spike knife, I would imagine they did make them and probably in bone handles. The early Schrade Walden patterns were often just a continuation of existing Schrade Cut Co. patterns.

I did check Mike Silvey's book, "Pocket Knives of the United States Military," and he shows a Camillus Marlin Spike knife made for the US government in World War II. Interestingly enough it had jigged wood handles. I expect the reason for the wood is that a stiff backspring and a hard snapping spike could easily cause stress cracks in the bone handles and wood is be more be forgiving.

I know this is not a definitive answer, but sometimes with Schrade "maybe" is the best we can get! ::shrug::
I hope this helps.
Thanks Dale
That’s good information, I have located what appears to be a vintage 735 with handles that look like bone from the pictures however I really believe they may actually be a composite material. The knife is in nice condition and the price is ok so I will probably pull the trigger.
Once it’s delivered I will post a picture.
Dan
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Sounds good Dan, I will be looking forward to the pics. ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Good info, Dale; big thanks! The pre-1946 versions would almost certainly be available in bone, and maybe Fosterene, fibestous, and/or celluloid!!! Maybe cocobolo or ebony. I don't pay attention to this pattern but it would certainly be a great collectible category.

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”