Smelly LB7

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
00p225

Smelly LB7

Post by 00p225 »

Picked up this new in box, 1980's LB7. Factory edge, cleaned up OK, problem is the sheath, box, and factory loss paper's reek. Like severe mold? Can see it on the box. I polished the knife, and it still reeks to high heaven. Any ideas? Baking soda and put everything in a ziplock?
Attachments
20220915_163016.jpg
tongueriver

Re: Smelly LB7

Post by tongueriver »

Option one: Show it to your dog and take his advice.
Option two: Throw the box and stuff away and set it on a table somewhere for awhile, then:
Option three: show it to the dog again and you two should be able to make a decision.
Option four: Put it in your pocket after sharpening it and stay away from the wimmenfolk if you value their love.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Sorry. Just having fun. Baking soda, charcoal do have their merits. Also time and plenty of fresh air. Good luck and I hope you put that bad boy to work.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I'd give that knife a bath in warm water and dish washing liquid, dry it with a towel, then use a blow dryer to get rid of the moisture the towel couldn't reach. Most likely that will eliminate the odor in the knife. (Non-porous surfaces seldom retain much odor from mold or mildew once cleaned.) Fresh air and sunshine along with a gentle spraying of Lysol may help the sheath. I'd just pitch the box. It's not worth the effort in my opinion.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Good advice, Phil. ::tu::
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I purchased a Bear and Son's Keen Kutter Barlow in a metal box with foam inside.
It all including the knife smelled from cigarette smoke.
I sprayed everything with Frebreze. Then let it sit on my workbench for a few days.
It got rid of the smell. Not sure what it would do to the cardboard and paper.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
00p225

Post by 00p225 »

I'm going to try to get the stink out of the sheath if possible. I bought this for my son, I may just order a new cheap schrade sheath for him and six can garbage the box, loss papers and sheath. It's not like it's worth a ton.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I have had these items with the smell of death and have not found any cures. Will be interesting to learn from your trials. Febreeze does not work or paper or cardboard.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
00p225

Post by 00p225 »

OLDE CUTLER , It's funny you would say that, I grew up on the farm, we butchered cattle, 100 chickens per year, and of course had calves that we pulled that died in the cow. The stink was unreal, but we got used to it growing up. I'm 56 yrs old now, and this thing is nasty. Had it on the kitchen counter this morning, and when I brushed my teeth, I caught a whiff, and about gagged in the bathroom. I moved the box and sheath to the shop, and put the knife in a ziplock with newspaper to absorb the smell after cleaning and polishing. Sure hope it works!
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I had some model cars that, previously, the seller had failed to mention reeked of cigarette smoke (they smelled so badly of it, the seller HAD to be the smoker). I'd gotten them cheap,and almost all of them were hard to find in the US, so I placed their boxes (models themselves didn't stink) out of the way (outbuilding) in a lemon-scented trash bag with "odor eliminators".

A few months later, I can't tell they had smoke on them.
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Standard sodium bicarbonate (baking soda not baking powder) should absorb
odors from porous objects like cardboard and paper. Placing the objects
in sunlight will also help. It may require a few weeks or months.

Bob
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

00p225 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:29 pm OLDE CUTLER , It's funny you would say that, I grew up on the farm, we butchered cattle, 100 chickens per year, and of course had calves that we pulled that died in the cow. The stink was unreal, but we got used to it growing up. I'm 56 yrs old now, and this thing is nasty. Had it on the kitchen counter this morning, and when I brushed my teeth, I caught a whiff, and about gagged in the bathroom. I moved the box and sheath to the shop, and put the knife in a ziplock with newspaper to absorb the smell after cleaning and polishing. Sure hope it works!
I too grew up on the farm and encountered dead things regularly. One thing I still recall like it was yesterday was my dad calling for a truck to come and pick up a dead cow in July. The man came with the truck which had a winch to pull the dead animal into the truck. It took him 3 tries before he got it in the truck, kept pulling the legs off. When he was done he looked at his watch and saw it was noon. So he sat in the truck and ate his lunch. Sorry guys.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Froe

Post by Froe »

Before I pitched anything, I’d clean and oil the the knife, oil the sheath, spray the box with Lysol and find a sunny windowsill to let them all to rest in. In two or three weeks you’ll know what’s salvageable. The box isn’t a big deal, but I’d hate to lose the sheath.
Nice knife,
Froe
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

tongueriver wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:40 pm Option one: Show it to your dog and take his advice.
Option two: Throw the box and stuff away and set it on a table somewhere for awhile, then:
Option three: show it to the dog again and you two should be able to make a decision.
Option four: Put it in your pocket after sharpening it and stay away from the wimmenfolk if you value their love.
LOL....
I agree Roland.... Dogs always have the last word!

::super_happy::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Lightly spray the box with a little water and microwave it for about 20 seconds. I mic the kitchen sponge when its wet and it completely prevents odor.
Can't say how long a microwave would take to char paper but I've killed mold this way and never had a problem. After its dry a little Lysol is a good idea.
Good Luck. J.O'.
00p225

Post by 00p225 »

Update, I put the sheath in a large ziplock with some crumbled up newspaper for several days. It removed about 75 percent of the smell, so that is good. I sprayed the box and paperwork with Lysol, and set it in my windowsill's in the garage to dry in the sun for a few weeks. Hope it works.

On the upside, my son loves the LB7 "like his dad's". He's 18 and just started college, but he responded like he was a little guy, made me feel good!

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”