Veiws on the "LAST RUN"

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
JonTerry

Veiws on the "LAST RUN"

Post by JonTerry »

What do you guys think of Schrades so called last run of knives, I mean the ones made in China with USA parts ?

Worth buying ?

JT
You do not have a soul, you are a soul, what you have is a body
FRJ

Re: Veiws on the "LAST RUN"

Post by FRJ »

Personally, I think there are many USA Schrades and many other fine USA brands to be had than buying any chinese knife.
Joe
JonTerry

Post by JonTerry »

FRJ wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:18 pm Personally, I think there are many USA Schrades and many other fine USA brands to be had than buying any chinese knife.
Yes there is my friend, but I am beginning to wonder if this last batch will be the most sought after in a few years, as they have thier own historic value in the story of Schrade Knives.

My real quesion is about the quality of the build on these "Last Run" knives as we already know the quality of the parts, have they been put together well is what I would like to find out.

I own a Chinesse LB8 next gereration, it's a knife for sure, but nothing like the old stuff, I do like to have it in my collection as it helps tell the story of the rise and fall of a great company.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

My view is that those made in China are not real Schrades. The rights to the Schrade name were bought in the bankruptcy sale. The new owner of the name (not a cutlery manufacturer), had them made in China.

(BTW the quality of the Chinese-made “Schrades-in-name-only” I have seen is an embarrassment to the Schrade name). JMO

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

This is the header to lead folk to the Schrade forum:

"Schrade Legacy Forum
Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.
This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name."
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

I agree with all of the above.

"anything that comes from china has a taint about it"

::td::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Go with a Made in USA Schrade over a Chinese one. ::nod::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
JonTerry

Post by JonTerry »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:48 pm My view is that those made in China are not real Schrades. The rights to the Schrade name were bought in the bankruptcy sale. The new owner of the name (not a cutlery manufacturer), had them made in China.

(BTW the quality of the Chinese-made “Schrades-in-name-only” I have seen is an embarrassment to the Schrade name). JMO

Ken
Agreed Ken,

But I was asking about the USA made parts that were assembled in China before they made the knives from scratch, I feel it's these last run of USA parts that have a place in the History and sad ending for Schrade.

JT
JonTerry

Post by JonTerry »

Just want to say I am sorry for posting this here, I have just read the Sticky for this Forum and I should not have posted this question here, if the Mod's want to Delete or move this to a more appropriate thread thats fine with me.

JT
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

JonTerry wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:28 pm What do you guys think of Schrades so called last run of knives, I mean the ones made in China with USA parts ?

Worth buying ?

JT
How would one be able to identify these knives? If they are assembled in China from made in USA parts, what would be different about them?
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

AS I understand it..... (Guys.... please correct me if I am wrong)

Taylor Brands (Schrade) knives came into the picture after the US Schrade factory was closed in 2004. They were made in china knives.... These has the Schrade name on the tang but no USA on the stamp. Taylor Brands was only a USA distributor.
SO..... if a Schrade knife was made before 2004 then the tang stamp will have "USA" on it somewhere.

If you see ONLY Schrade, Old Timer, Uncle Henry or others..... WITHOUT USA then the parts were made in china and probably assembled in china.

NOW.... I have seen knives assembled from USA parts that were purchased by individuals at the Schrade auction.

I have a couple of knives that do have USA on the tang and they were assembled after the closure. BUT.... they were not assembled over in china.

If you have an example of USA parts assembled in china, I would like to see an example.

::shrug::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

JonTerry wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:48 pm
Mumbleypeg wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:48 pm My view is that those made in China are not real Schrades. The rights to the Schrade name were bought in the bankruptcy sale. The new owner of the name (not a cutlery manufacturer), had them made in China.

Ken
Agreed Ken,

But I was asking about the USA made parts that were assembled in China before they made the knives from scratch, I feel it's these last run of USA parts that have a place in the History and sad ending for Schrade.

JT
My reply was in response to exactly that - IMHO those are not real Schrades. Like the Cattaragus piece parts bought by the pound at their "going out of business" bankruptcy sale and later assembled and sold by other parties. Many serious collectors do not consider those to be real Cattaraugus knives.

JMO. Others may feel differently but you asked for views, and that's mine.
::handshake::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:01 pm AS I understand it..... (Guys.... please correct me if I am wrong)

Taylor Brands (Schrade) knives came into the picture after the US Schrade factory was closed in 2004. They were made in china knives.... These has the Schrade name on the tang but no USA on the stamp. Taylor Brands was only a USA distributor.
SO..... if a Schrade knife was made before 2004 then the tang stamp will have "USA" on it somewhere.

If you see ONLY Schrade, Old Timer, Uncle Henry or others..... WITHOUT USA then the parts were made in china and probably assembled in china.

NOW.... I have seen knives assembled from USA parts that were purchased by individuals at the Schrade auction.

I have a couple of knives that do have USA on the tang and they were assembled after the closure. BUT.... they were not assembled over in china.

If you have an example of USA parts assembled in china, I would like to see an example.

::shrug::
You can go to SMKW website and see them. https://www.smkw.com/schrade-usa-lockba ... y-otd-sch2
I got a kick out of one of the buyers of these knives who left a review. They said that they got a Schrade lockblade that had a blade etch that said "Federal Bureau of Investigation Agents Association". This whole thing sounds like some kind of a scam. If the Schrade plant closed in 2004, and the American owners who were shifting production to China had all these parts, why would they wait 18 years to start assembling and selling them? And they supposedly come with a Certificate of Authenticity, and we all know how valuable those are.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Slightly related, perhaps: After Stewart Taylor purchased the trademarks at the Schrade auction, over the course of some time, he had some 'Schrade' knives manufactured in the United States and which had Schrade and U.S.A. on the tang stamps. Makers were Camillus (for only about a year), Bear and Son (for longer), Utica (unknown) and Great Eastern. GEC made switchblades, 'bullet' jacks, and a big fixed blade. Some of these knives are still being sold. Smoky Mountain Whatever Junk Store bought a bunch of 165 and 160 fixed blades and had them handled in China. These are just a few of the convoluted histories that played out after the close of Imperial Schrade.

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”