Are they coming home ??????????

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
JonTerry

Are they coming home ??????????

Post by JonTerry »

Watch a Video today with William Schrade ( The Grandson of the man )

It kinda ended with him saying Shrade is Going to set up in the USA again ??? is this true ???

JT
You do not have a soul, you are a soul, what you have is a body
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Are they coming home ??????????

Post by philco »

Hi Jon,

Would you happen to have a link to that video? I sure would like to see it.
My understanding is that when Schrade went belly up the trademarks and intellectual property (designs and such) were sold, and Stuart Taylor ended up owning them. He had a few Schrade branded knives made here in the USA (by Bear and Son and by GEC) but very shortly thereafter arranged for Schrade knives to be manufactured in China. If production is returning to the USA, it sure would be contrary to the steady stream of US brands that have gone out of business and later reincarnated as China made cutlery.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Phil, I believe he is talking about the George Schrade company. Different company, not related to Imperial Schrade.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

tongueriver wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:53 pm Phil, I believe he is talking about the George Schrade company. Different company, not related to Imperial Schrade.
Thanks Cal. That would certainly make more sense. 8)
Phil
AAPK Administrator

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
ea42

Post by ea42 »

It's Schrade that the video refers to, not the George Schrade Company (although Bill talks about his family history). Smith and Wesson now owns the Schrade intellectual property and is trying to bring Schrade production back to the U.S.. They've already got some models on the market. Those knives are marked "Old Timer" with no hint of the Schrade name, but the construction is the same as the older models. I have no idea if any actual "Schrade" badged knives are in the pipeline. Also have no idea who's making them now.

Bill's a one man George Schrade Company now and he's putting out some gorgeous knives. ::tu:: ::tu::

Eric
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

ea42 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:17 am It's Schrade that the video refers to, not the George Schrade Company (although Bill talks about his family history). Smith and Wesson now owns the Schrade intellectual property and is trying to bring Schrade production back to the U.S.. They've already got some models on the market. Those knives are marked "Old Timer" with no hint of the Schrade name, but the construction is the same as the older models. I have no idea if any actual "Schrade" badged knives are in the pipeline. Also have no idea who's making them now.

Bill's a one man George Schrade Company now and he's putting out some gorgeous knives. ::tu:: ::tu::

Eric
Thanks for lighting the lamp; I can see (more) clearly now!
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Any time Cal!! ::tu:: ::idea::

Eric
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

ea42 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:17 am It's Schrade that the video refers to, not the George Schrade Company (although Bill talks about his family history). Smith and Wesson now owns the Schrade intellectual property and is trying to bring Schrade production back to the U.S.. They've already got some models on the market. Those knives are marked "Old Timer" with no hint of the Schrade name, but the construction is the same as the older models. I have no idea if any actual "Schrade" badged knives are in the pipeline. Also have no idea who's making them now.

Eric
That is great news! Really hope they can pull it off. S&W knows how to successfully run a U.S. manufacturing operation producing a quality product. However those expecting to get a $10 knife will no doubt be disappointed.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Keeping my fingers crossed. I have a Smith & Wesson M&P auto and it's perfectly designed and a quality USA made knife. 🇺🇲
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
JonTerry

Post by JonTerry »

philco wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:51 pm Hi Jon,

Would you happen to have a link to that video? I sure would like to see it.
My understanding is that when Schrade went belly up the trademarks and intellectual property (designs and such) were sold, and Stuart Taylor ended up owning them. He had a few Schrade branded knives made here in the USA (by Bear and Son and by GEC) but very shortly thereafter arranged for Schrade knives to be manufactured in China. If production is returning to the USA, it sure would be contrary to the steady stream of US brands that have gone out of business and later reincarnated as China made cutlery.
Here we go Mate.

https://vimeo.com/742812133/a4f1c215ad? ... r=19981152
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Great video regarding the George Schrade legacy. Many folk interested in Schrade confuse the two companies. Bill is a descendant of George Schrade, who left the Walden company which became what we know as Schrade Walden. The George Schrade company (1926-1958) operated out of Bridgeport, Connecticut, not Walden, New York. George left all ties with Walden and the other Schrade brothers in 1910. That said, whatever Schrade knives are now and in the future made in the United States don't really have anything to do with either company. It will be very interesting to see what happens! I hope we get oodles of good information as to how this plays out.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

By the way knives with Schrade markings that were made in the United States include those by Kinfolks, Great Eastern, Bear and Son, Camillus, and Imperial.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I stumbled across the page in the link below. Looks like this may be one of the new USA made knives Eric told us about ?

https://www.knives.com/knives/knife-use ... /1739021?m
Phil
AAPK Administrator

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

philco wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:59 am I stumbled across the page in the link below. Looks like this may be one of the new USA made knives Eric told us about ?

From the looks of the jigging I would say it was made by Bear.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

The 94OTG seemed to be Peanut sized, but I found this Lockback with a 3" blade and 3 1/2" closed length, which is more appealing to me.
Attachments
Screenshot_20230113-084802.png
Screenshot_20230113-084809.png
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
JonTerry

Post by JonTerry »

edge213 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:46 am
philco wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:59 am I stumbled across the page in the link below. Looks like this may be one of the new USA made knives Eric told us about ?

From the looks of the jigging I would say it was made by Bear.

I cannot get access to the site, I am suspecting this is the use a Sledge Hammer to crack a walnut approach for UK buyers, as they probably sell prohibited items alongside the item we can import to the UK ???
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Yes, the site that Phil linked to has autos and balisongs on offer. Would the UK government really forbid the mere browsing of such a site?

I received a Knife Center e-mail some time ago that heralded the return of USA Schrades. At the time, I thought it may have been too good to be true. I'll be watching for further developments.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
JonTerry

Post by JonTerry »

Dan In MI wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:39 pm Yes, the site that Phil linked to has autos and balisongs on offer. Would the UK government really forbid the mere browsing of such a site?

I received a Knife Center e-mail some time ago that heralded the return of USA Schrades. At the time, I thought it may have been too good to be true. I'll be watching for further developments.
It would be the site, getting confused. It bugs me that USA sites do this or refuse to ship to the UK under the grounds that UK law prohibits knives, when actually it is only a few designs which are not allowed. This is also the case for certain states in the US, I cannot understand why the companies cannot just put the same caveats on the UK sales as they would for certain USA states ? They would do a lot of business here to be honest.

No company would want the break rules but it would only take a few minutes to read the UK border rules to realise they had a bigger market than they thought.

The likes of Ebay/Amazon have independently chosen not to sell on the UK platforms for fear of backlash from the UK public (this is not a law they can sell if they chose to)
Teenage Knife crime is mostly done with kitchen knives from home or purchased in the supermarket.

We can still buy knives online from many retailers in the UK, we just need proof of age. Some sites in the USA sell to me some won't, if it because they don't want the hassle of overseas shipping then I can except that, but if it because of miss information then it annoys me.

Even Buck will ship Custom made knives to the UK despite there being no UK shipping options on thier site, all you need to do is email them wait an age and they will reply with a full quotation of costs, including shipping/taxes/customs charges all the way to your front door, they take control of everything to make the transaction as smooth as possible. (probably not alot of UK guys know this but all you need to do is contact Buck directly)

Anyway enough of my soap box ..............carry on ::dang::
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Good info Jon! ::tu::

Eric
LRV

Post by LRV »

The new USA Schrades can be viewed here.

https://www.schrade.com/knives/

Schrade knives are made by AOB American Outdoor Brands
AOB is an offshoot of Smith and Wesson whom bought the Schrade name a few years ago.
Not the old Schrade designs for sure.
“A knife in a man’s hand is as precious as a diamond necklace on a woman’s neck” - Michael Mirando I.S.C.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

They are starting to show up on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125722754097?h ... R4Dpvs-3YQ

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”