When was this made ?

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
JonTerry

When was this made ?

Post by JonTerry »

I’ve always wanted a stag LB7 and this has come up not far from my home.
I’m suspecting this maybe “last run”
But do any of you guys know more about it ??
Think the shield has the Ducks on it.

I can get it shipped for circa $80

Any help would be appreciated 👍
JT
Attachments
26720842-6B32-46FB-B675-F17CC2CECB17.jpeg
You do not have a soul, you are a soul, what you have is a body
ea42

Re: When was this made ?

Post by ea42 »

That's a great deal for a stag LB7, especially in what looks like unused condition. That's not the DU shield. Not sure what it is, just looks like a bunch of squiggly lines.

Eric
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

This may be one that Smoky Mountain Knife Works offered that was assembled in China from old stock parts that was offered 4-5 years ago.
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

I figured out what it is. It's a Federal Duck Stamp Commemorative. I couldn't find out what year it is though. I knew I'd seen that squiggly line border before and I did a web search till I found it. I couldn't find a knife like yours. There are many and most are smaller folding knives and a few fixed blades. I also had a hard time finding a decent picture of one showing the shield. But here you are. I assume that it originally came in a presentation box like the others. Too bad it doesn't have that. But your LB7 Stag is without a doubt the nicest one I found online! Maybe if you do a search you can find a date for it. But really, who cares! It's a LB7 Stag!!
Attachments
schrade-cutlery-federal-duck-stamp-98_1_787b3ed2fa84cbade8766df7b5d3ab5a.jpg
R.jpg
1588618405_851_10.jpg
1581534796_51_3.jpg
R (1).jpg
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

HA! My dumb ass. I finally thought to look on ebay. I can't say how accurate the info is on this listing. I know those certificates of authenticity are not so "authentic" themselves. But this listing is something to consider.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204216563334?h ... R9Cf79u5YQ

And another one,...from the same seller.........hmm
https://www.ebay.com/itm/204201534743?h ... R9Cf79u5YQ

Ohh, Then there are these without shields on them. Authenticity is looking grim. :( ::facepalm:: ::shrug::
https://www.ebay.com/itm/363669948310?_ ... %3A2047675

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125579757840?_ ... %3A2047675

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174479376624?_ ... %3A2047675

etc, etc, etc,.........
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

This is what a genuine Schrade LB7 with stag looks like. This is a factory made knife that I bought back in '06 or '07. It's a LB7ES, as printed on the end of the box. I haven't seen hardly any of these. Much like the 5OT-ES factory stag knives. If you are thinking of getting that knife you are considering as a knife to use and not just collect, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

My observation has been that any blades with a 'SCHRADE +' tang stamp means it's an authentic blade. Neither Taylor or anyone else that I know of got their hands on that trademark. Unless something has happened in the last few years. Only Schrade made blades carry that trademark. Schrade + is 440A stainless steel. The assembly of the knife is another matter.......
Attachments
LB7ES Factory Stag.JPG
LB7ES Factory Stag (2).JPG
LB7ES Factory Stag (3).JPG
LB7ES Factory Stag (4).JPG
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

That gigantic gap under the lock bar would give me pause ....
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
JonTerry

Post by JonTerry »

royal0014 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:33 am That gigantic gap under the lock bar would give me pause ....
That’s not a gap mate just the reflection of the mat on the inside of inside of the holster 👍
JonTerry

Post by JonTerry »

I also think since it’s a leather sheath and not those zip up cases the nos stuff that are on the bay, it gives me a little bit of confidence that this is most likely USA made 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
JonTerry

Post by JonTerry »

Photos for thought ?
Attachments
4ED733FC-03C2-4297-B926-C4607E9656FF.png
0C2BC953-275B-4DFF-89A6-2D7CA0D5A905.png
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

These were assembled after the factory closed, with parts bought during the sale. Some folks did the same thing with the 100th Anniversary Bowie knife that was due to go into production in 2004, however, they went bankrupt before the knives were finished.

There were only 6 Factory Assembled 100th Anniversary Bowie knives made, by Harold Buley. Then there were 25 etched blades that were purchased. The 25 knives were never assembled and the blades were sold in the sale. Someone bought the blades and assembled them with Stag Handles. The Original 6 Samples were produced with Oiled Rams Horn handles. These were put together for the Executives and a couple Major Customers.

I have the distinct pleasure to own one of the Original 100th Anniversary Bowies, verified by Harold Buley before his passing.

I hope I didn't hijack your thread, but just wanted to show a comparison so that you would further understand the knife you are purchasing.

Respectfully,

Tom
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Great info, Tom. It looks like the OP knife shield didn't get oriented correctly, maybe the assembler didn't know what it was? ::shrug::
Attachments
Screenshot_20230120-095705~2.png
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
JonTerry

Post by JonTerry »

Mustanger wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:26 am This is what a genuine Schrade LB7 with stag looks like. This is a factory made knife that I bought back in '06 or '07. It's a LB7ES, as printed on the end of the box. I haven't seen hardly any of these. Much like the 5OT-ES factory stag knives. If you are thinking of getting that knife you are considering as a knife to use and not just collect, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

My observation has been that any blades with a 'SCHRADE +' tang stamp means it's an authentic blade. Neither Taylor or anyone else that I know of got their hands on that trademark. Unless something has happened in the last few years. Only Schrade made blades carry that trademark. Schrade + is 440A stainless steel. The assembly of the knife is another matter.......
Have to say that’s probably the best looking lockback I’ve seen
JonTerry

Post by JonTerry »

Well guys I struck a Deal,

Should get it this week, will post photos when it arrives.

The Ducks Badge does make me wonder when it was made as the Chinesse Assembled ones don't seem to have this ???

SMKW has a few versions but none with Flying Ducks Series ??

Cheers

JT
JonTerry

Post by JonTerry »

OK guys,

It came today, gave it a bit of care and elbow grease as this is a keeper in my Schrade Collection.

See what you think .........

JT
Attachments
lb7 stag.jpg
lb7stag2.jpg
lb7stag3.jpg
lb7stag4.jpg
lb7stag5.jpg
lb7stag6.jpg
lb7stag7.jpg
lb7stag8.jpg
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

That should make a fine companion! ::tu::
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

JonTerry wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:11 pm OK guys,

It came today, gave it a bit of care and elbow grease as this is a keeper in my Schrade Collection.

JT
Nice! See, that’s what happens when you hang out with a bunch of enablers.

:mrgreen:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

The stag on yours is done better than any of the ones I saw on ebay. Better that you got a sheath too.
JonTerry

Post by JonTerry »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:54 pm
JonTerry wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:11 pm OK guys,

JT
Nice! See, that’s what happens when you hang out with a bunch of enablers.

:mrgreen:

Ken

Sure is Ken, To be honestI keep saying “right that’s my lockback collecting done now”
But I keep seeing and wanting more 😂
Now I need a stag Buck 112
Stag LB5
And there’s always my Explorer Solingen Brand lockback search 😳😳😳
JonTerry

Post by JonTerry »

Mustanger wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:03 pm The stag on yours is done better than any of the ones I saw on ebay. Better that you got a sheath too.
Agreed the stag is great and to be fair the fit and finish is as sharp as any lb7 I’ve seen

I’m I’m the process of Ren Waxing it now, so by the morning it should be super mint !!!

Oh yeah the sheath looks more like the older ones, I only have one Schrade sheath that colour and that was with a 4 pin LB7 from Just Bob, makes me wonder the age of this knife, as usual more questions than answers 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

That’s a beauty ::tu:: I had the Chinese made lb7 , it was ok I guess, I gifted it to a friend who loves it , a U.S LB7 is on my list ::tu::
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
JonTerry

Post by JonTerry »

zed6309 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:26 pm That’s a beauty ::tu:: I had the Chinese made lb7 , it was ok I guess, I gifted it to a friend who loves it , a U.S LB7 is on my list ::tu::
Cheers Mate,

They come up quite a lot on the AAPK store, and I am always on the look out for them also, if I get anymore I may be willing to let one of mine go to a fellow Brit ;)

They are pretty special weigh a tonne and would probably for even Chuck Norris

JT
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

JonTerry wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:09 pm
zed6309 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:26 pm That’s a beauty ::tu:: I had the Chinese made lb7 , it was ok I guess, I gifted it to a friend who loves it , a U.S LB7 is on my list ::tu::
Cheers Mate,

They come up quite a lot on the AAPK store, and I am always on the look out for them also, if I get anymore I may be willing to let one of mine go to a fellow Brit ;)

They are pretty special weigh a tonne and would probably for even Chuck Norris

JT
Cheers Jon 👍
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”