Unusual One

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
keithw

Unusual One

Post by keithw »

I saw this one on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GERMAN-EYE-CARL ... 0072180248

It has the Straight-line Schlieper tang stamp with a Fan Brand etch on the main blade.
That isn't the strange part.
It has (what looks to me like) an Indian Head stamp on the back side of the spey blade.
It's Mike Latham's knife and I emailed him to verify the Indian Head stamp.
He said that it looks like it to him also.
I guess we can say for sure that Schlieper made at least some of the Buck Creek / Indian Head / Owl Head knives.

Aside from the Indian Head stamp on an Eye Brand knife,
the Solingen shield with a straight-line stamp is unusual.
I thought the straight-line stamps were phased out around 1965 while the plain shields were used until the early 70s.
Kind of a strange one all around.
Attachments
SolingenShield.jpg
SolingenShield.jpg (32.86 KiB) Viewed 1758 times
$(KGrHqNHJBEE9ps,tP3nBPekYNj!(g~~60_57.jpg
StraightlineAndFanEtch.jpg
StraightlineAndFanEtch.jpg (32.69 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
Keith
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
-- Mike Tyson
Aimus Moses

Re: Unusual One

Post by Aimus Moses »

With the German factory making these brand names of knives as well as many others, I don't think it's uncommon to find a knife like this. I have seen some brands from this German factory with blades from a different brand name made at the same factory put in a knife. I don't now if it was an accident or the factory was just using up left over parts to use them up. Case does this. They don't waste blades either and will use them up. The Case transition knives prove this, as well as back in the 1970's when in the 9 dot year that Case had too many 10 dot year blades made for a certain pattern the year before, that Case used all the 10 dot blades they had left over and didn't make a 9 dot knife in that certain pattern in that 9 dot year. I once seen a N.I.B. Fightin Rooster brand knife with Bull Dog brand marked secondary blades. It was a factory error or the factory was using up left over blades and not something like someone had put a Fightin Rooster main blade in the knife post-factory in an attempt to fake the knife. There's quite a few brand named knives that are made and come from this one German knife factory. There have been and will be mix ups when that many brand names come from that one factory. It's accidental most of the time except when a factory is using up left over materials, and even the best knife factories, German and USA, have one, two, or a few knives that slip by QC with a problem regardless of their brand name. Just my 2 cents on it.

Aimus
buck16
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Unusual One

Post by buck16 »

Ditto. I've seen the same thing and if you close yer eyes you can't tell from the sound of the snap an eye from an ole Indianhead.

Return to “European-made knives”