My First German Eye... Please Advise

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Bill-in-Texas

My First German Eye... Please Advise

Post by Bill-in-Texas »

Hello All,
I have read some of the posts regarding Carl Schlieper "German Eye" knives. It appears that I have an old one. I'd be interested to learn what I can about this stockman; I'll tell you all I know about it. Mostly, you can see all there is to know from the pictures but, beyond that I'll say this:
it measures 4-1/32" closed;
there is no blade wobble, whatsoever;
there are no cracks in the celluloid handles; and,
there is a very faint single-line etching on the main blade that says "Premium Quality..." with an eye to the right of the words.

Anyone have tips on polishing blades?Image
I think this is an old-style shield.

All 3 blades have this tang stamp...
All blades strongly snap open & shut.
HiPower

Re: My First German Eye... Please Advise

Post by HiPower »

i think this is early 70s or later. definately a top serpentine stock & most importantly it has sunken joints. palatin has more info but i would'nt polish blades, clean & oil only. this knife will show you the meaning of great steel.--HiPower
HiPower
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

That is their oldest stamp. I call it the straight line stamp. It was used thru 1963, according to Joe Dobbs article in Knife World. The shield is old style. I'd bet there were 2 eyes in that faint etch. As HiPower says, that is some of the best carbon steel ever and it is a real edge holder.
As per HiPower, I wouldn't clean at all, at least with anything mechanical and very little of the MetalGlo or such.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
Bill-in-Texas

Post by Bill-in-Texas »

Thank you HiPower & Ray.

Yes, it was my understanding that the tang stamp style & "bomb" shield were of the earliest years -I'm just not sure how early. I appreciate the end-time frame, Ray.

I won't overly clean it although you should've seen it before I went over it with 0000 steel wool. The old celluloid scales have de-gassed a bit and the blades were oxidized as a result.

It is a definite EDC knife (I carried it today, in fact) and the carbon steel is excellent!
For a 4-inch knife, it is really unobtrusive in my jeans pocket. It is one of my favorites. :D
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Bill,
Their yellow handles shrink a bit but I have never seen them gas out.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
HiPower

Post by HiPower »

ditto to answer palatin says on that yellow celluloid.--HiPower
HiPower
Bill-in-Texas

Post by Bill-in-Texas »

Thanks gents.

By the way, this poster's knife bears the same shield (there were many styles but, it's the only other one I've seen, so far) & similar handle material; mine's more like a pale yellow, it resembles the color of a butternut squash...(!)
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... 65&t=16333
HiPower

Post by HiPower »

bill that celluloid in yellow varies from light yellow to a rich darker yellow that i describe as lemon meringue. eye had some bad gassers in the late 70s & early eighties. their x-mas, & a gray with darker grey stripes. i was owner of just about all the bad gassers but was fortunate to live near the eye brand jobber whom replaced handles very in expensively in the 80s . those days are past & most eyes do'nt command prices to justify handle replacement.--HiPower
HiPower

Return to “European-made knives”