3-eyed extra-large sodbuster

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
prairiedog

3-eyed extra-large sodbuster

Post by prairiedog »

This old 3-eyed ebony handled sodbuster is almost 6" closed...5 5/8" to be exact...10 1/2" open. One heck of a knife...first one I'd seen this size.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Perry

When the knife your grandfather/father carried or put up is handed down to you...treasure it...open it up from time to time...and by all means, keep it!
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Re: 3-eyed extra-large sodbuster

Post by Paladin »

First one of these I saw I could hardly believe it.
Same great knives but really too big for most pockets. That one looks to be a fine example. I don't think there are too many of them out there but just a wild assumption on my part.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
prairiedog

Post by prairiedog »

Thanks Ray.. ::handshake:: I'm also thinking that this isn't a real common knife...or at least it isn't in my neck of the woods. I see a lot of sodbusters...but not any the size of this one.
Perry

When the knife your grandfather/father carried or put up is handed down to you...treasure it...open it up from time to time...and by all means, keep it!
HiPower

Post by HiPower »

last one like that i saw was in 1992 or so. eye made at least 4 patterns that ranged from small to giant. trappers,stocks,sods & muskrat. HiPower
HiPower
prairiedog

Post by prairiedog »

Good info HiPower. ::tu::
Perry

Capt. Farrel

Post by Capt. Farrel »

Your Soddy seems to be older than 1945 as it has a "D.R.G.M." stamp on the tang. This is short for "Deutsches Reichs Gebrauchsmuster" which was a kind of "little brother" of a patent. D.R.G.M. was used in the German Reich between 1891 and 1945. Nice one!
Frank

OMG, it´s knives again!
prairiedog

Post by prairiedog »

Thanks Frank ::handshake:: more great info...the more I read about this knife...the better it gets!
Perry

Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Not to throw a wrench into the works but I'd check the dates on that pattern carefully. I do not believe that the pattern was produced as early as stated.
There have been some earlier posts on the DRGM and BR Levine may have commented on the dates. I do recall that the 'patent' in this case deals with the pivot pin.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
Capt. Farrel

Post by Capt. Farrel »

Wikipedia srtates that the D.R.G.M. marking ended in 1945, but that´s just Wikipedia for you. ::hmm:: The D.R.G.M. is not quite a patent as you would file for a technical part of a knife but more on the design of things. In German we call it a "Geschmacksmusterschutz".
Frank

OMG, it´s knives again!
HiPower

Post by HiPower »

have to agree with paladin--i've seen eyes made in the 80s & maybe 90s with this mark. mark cruse told me it was a number relating to a export license. HiPower
HiPower

Return to “European-made knives”