Composite handle info

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
prairiedog

Composite handle info

Post by prairiedog »

I've acquired a few older eyes this past year...and I'm wandering about the stability of the composite handled ones? The cracked-ice and yellow-handled ones in particular. I'm thinking the older yellow-handled eyes are celluloid...not certain what the "cracked-ice" is composed of?? Do these knives need to be kept separate...or are they stable?
Thanks for any information shared!
Perry

When the knife your grandfather/father carried or put up is handed down to you...treasure it...open it up from time to time...and by all means, keep it!
Capt. Farrel

Re: Composite handle info

Post by Capt. Farrel »

Contacting the Olbertz factory I wasn´t able to find out when they stopped to use cello. They said they uyed both cello and acrylic the same time for quite a while. In my opinion especially the "cracked ice" is acrylic. I am not sure about the yellow composite by I am leaning towards acrylic too. ::hmm::

Of course I would be happy to be corrected in this.....
Frank

OMG, it´s knives again!
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

The yellow shrinks a little but doesn't gas out, at least I have never had it happen.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
prairiedog

Post by prairiedog »

Thanks Frank and Ray...appreciate your time and info. ::tu::
Perry

When the knife your grandfather/father carried or put up is handed down to you...treasure it...open it up from time to time...and by all means, keep it!
HiPower

Post by HiPower »

eye produced both yellow plastic & cellouid in the same time frame. 2 cells made in late 70s or early 80s that were bad were a whttler in christmas tree & a trapper in in swirl grey.HiPower
HiPower

Return to “European-made knives”