Great-grandpa’s Eye Brand identification?

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
mopbucket

Great-grandpa’s Eye Brand identification?

Post by mopbucket »

My dad recently gave me a very special Eye Brand knife. It was my great grandpa’s, my grandpa’s, my dad’s, and now it is mine. I have many memories of seeing it carried and used as I grew up in Oregon.
I’m curious what information you nerds can give me on this one. I struggled getting a picture of the actual Eye Brand logo, but it is in fact there, along the blade. Stamped to the right of the Eye logo is text reading CARL SCHLIEPER, with SOLINGEN GERMANY directly underneath the name.
I’ve read up on the history and am fascinated. My main incentive for posting here is to share this knife with you guys and also to find out when it was made and the value of it. I will never sell this thing, it’s got too much utility and heirloom quality to it :D
Attachments
C284BD6A-49B2-418B-AFD6-B3D2904CF1B2.jpeg
ECEFECAA-308F-43F3-B999-D8DFE8A4AECE.jpeg
B038D8FD-301B-4491-85C1-0795A2B3D608.jpeg
BA3928BF-CBD5-4E24-A4CC-CBC224F2A18B.jpeg
396A9252-D715-440E-B812-EBA6BD2AF4E1.jpeg
EEC6002A-FFF5-4AA9-9BA9-CBCD25403AB4.jpeg
F5F37B77-B5D0-42F5-B07F-064F0F547083.jpeg
DC921185-B109-4453-B059-3865897C6A85.jpeg
A959B45F-B0C9-48EE-B162-DC124312E4A3.jpeg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Great-grandpa’s Eye Brand identification?

Post by doglegg »

I have seen one made by Puma like that as well. Cool knife. I think I read it described as a skinner. Great heritage and knife. ::tu:: ::tu::
tallguy606

Post by tallguy606 »

I may be wrong, but I think German Eye copied the White Hunter-type Puma design when they saw how popular the Pumas were.
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

tallguy606 wrote:I may be wrong, but I think German Eye copied the White Hunter-type Puma design when they saw how popular the Pumas were.
Or vice-versa maybe? :lol: :lol:

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Who knows Ray? I have seen a lot more Puma’s like this than Eye Brand. I haven’t seen one this old and Eye Brand. It’s gorgeous. It’s been kept really nice too. I hope that your great grandson will be enjoying it some day.
Mark
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Do you know about how old your great grandfather was when he got this knife ? If you do then about how old is this knife ?
kj
mopbucket

Post by mopbucket »

No one in the family seems to remember when he picked it up. I’m guessing it was the seventies but hard to say.
Doesn’t appear to have seen any super heavy use besides the patina it’s taken on.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have not seen this knife with Eye Brand/Schlieper on it before so i think it might be older than 1970's. Eye Brand folding knives from 1970's are still reasonably common.
kj
EyeBJoe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by EyeBJoe »

Sorry to be late weighing-in on this one. Seems my Kubota tractor needed some TLC this weekend. In checking back through the older catalogs from Knife Importers in Austin, TX., I find that the subject knife has been offered by Eye Brand dating back to the early 1960’s. The latest catalog I have prior to the Schlieper bankruptcy in 1993, was published by Knife Importers in the late 1980’s and this knife was listed in every catalog available from the 60’s through the 8o’s. I believe the late 80’s catalog was still in use when Knife Importers relinquished the import exclusive in the early 90’s. I have no information relating to the fixed blade knives available through Clarence Risener and Olbertz through the 90’s and beyond. And, based upon the pictures and the family lineage noted with a great grandfather involved, I would concur with Mopbucket’s guess that this one falls into the early 1970’s range. Regardless, it’s a great old piece and a fine collectible.

Joe D.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Well, so much for me not having seen another one of these !
Based on 30+ years of availability there must be more 'out there'.
kj
mopbucket

Post by mopbucket »

EyeBJoe wrote:Sorry to be late weighing-in on this one. Seems my Kubota tractor needed some TLC this weekend. In checking back through the older catalogs from Knife Importers in Austin, TX., I find that the subject knife has been offered by Eye Brand dating back to the early 1960’s. The latest catalog I have prior to the Schlieper bankruptcy in 1993, was published by Knife Importers in the late 1980’s and this knife was listed in every catalog available from the 60’s through the 8o’s. I believe the late 80’s catalog was still in use when Knife Importers relinquished the import exclusive in the early 90’s. I have no information relating to the fixed blade knives available through Clarence Risener and Olbertz through the 90’s and beyond. And, based upon the pictures and the family lineage noted with a great grandfather involved, I would concur with Mopbucket’s guess that this one falls into the early 1970’s range. Regardless, it’s a great old piece and a fine collectible.

Joe D.
Hey I’m grateful for the information Joe! You’re a ton a help ::handshake::
cdantiks

Post by cdantiks »

I purchased one just similar to that one. 1969 from the hunting club in Wiesbaden Germany along with a "skinner" . They both were near perfect copies of the "Puma white hunter and skinner"
But both had the "eye" on one side of the blade and
Carl Schlieper
Solingen Germany
On the other side tang stamps
Stag handles were same quality as Pumas.
I have lost them due to "life happens.
" but since replaced them both.
KitCarsonGreen

Return to “European-made knives”