Lets See Your Schlieper Knives

joefm

Re: Lets See Your Schlieper Knives

Post by joefm »

but not as much as i do that mini-trapper!! thank you sir, i appreciate it. im goin to post a pic of a eye brand i have that has some good looking stag in a few mins. tell me what ya think of it here shortly?
Railroad Joe
joefm

Post by joefm »

A3B88E72-A891-46B4-9F4C-BC5961A59A76.jpeg
9A52292D-761C-40E0-A795-D3118B5EA117.jpeg
9A52292D-761C-40E0-A795-D3118B5EA117.jpeg
5B7155D5-60DA-46DF-B3BF-AAB1E1ECBA68.jpeg
16EB2830-9A29-426F-B40C-5711DB9FE54F.jpeg
Railroad Joe
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

That is amazing Stag. Very rare to see a modern knife with exterior stag surface bolster to bolster and then on both sides as well !
Is it ~ 5 1/2" closed ?
kj
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

kootenay joe wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:33 pm That is amazing Stag. Very rare to see a modern knife with exterior stag surface bolster to bolster and then on both sides as well !
Is it ~ 5 1/2" closed ?
kj
I'm betting on 3¾ inches myself. It's a copperhead and altho there was one larger copperhead pattern, it is seldom seen.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
EyeBJoe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by EyeBJoe »

Excellent example of this nice Schlieper knife. I acquired a similar one in June of 1978. It is 5 3/8 in. long and was actually a serial numbered limited edition. The above example has a set of the best stag handles I have seen on a Schlieper knife.

Joe D.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

That is truly stunning stag on your Copperhead, Joe...absolutely gorgeous. ::tu::
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I would call this knife a "Folding Hunter". A "Copperhead" is a smaller knife in all dimensions.
kj
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

kootenay joe wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:19 am I would call this knife a "Folding Hunter". A "Copperhead" is a smaller knife in all dimensions.
kj
KJ,
How would you know how long the knife might be? I have seen nothing that tells how long it might be and I have been asking for it right along.
Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Finnbar

Post by Finnbar »

kootenay joe wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:40 pm Very attractive knife. It is intended for dressing out hunted game. The blade with the thicker tip is used to open up the abdominal cavity and the hook is for pulling out the innards of birds. Perhaps you and your dad already know this ?
Is the closed length 4" ?
kj
KJ, the closed length is right at 3 3/4. We did intuitively know what gutting/caping blade was for, and that the hook had something to do with cleaning out the bird, but not specifically how it was to be employed. That is until I watched a video. So now itching to go quail hunting and put that tool to work. Thank you for your response! And I Ken, I thank you as well!

Gary
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

Finnbar wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:20 pm
kootenay joe wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:40 pm Very attractive knife. It is intended for dressing out hunted game. The blade with the thicker tip is used to open up the abdominal cavity and the hook is for pulling out the innards of birds. Perhaps you and your dad already know this ?
Is the closed length 4" ?
kj
KJ, the closed length is right at 3 3/4. We did intuitively know what gutting/caping blade was for, and that the hook had something to do with cleaning out the bird, but not specifically how it was to be employed. That is until I watched a video. So now itching to go quail hunting and put that tool to work. Thank you for your response! And I Ken, I thank you as well!

Gary
Solved that mystery! Thanks, Finnbar. ::tu:: :D

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Paladin wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:09 pm
kootenay joe wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:19 am I would call this knife a "Folding Hunter". A "Copperhead" is a smaller knife in all dimensions.
kj
KJ,
How would you know how long the knife might be? I have seen nothing that tells how long it might be and I have been asking for it right along.
Ray
Ray the post saying 3 3/4" is referring to a 3 blade Schlieper posted on the previous page.
Looking at the picture of the F.H. above, the blade width and depth of handle are too wide to be a copperhead. Even without anything for size comparison i can see that it is a more 'bulky' knife than a 3 3/4" copperhead.
And yes you have asked the poster to state closed length but so far he has not replied. Would be good to hear the measured size from the guy who owns the knife for confirmation.
kj
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

kootenay joe wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:44 pm
Paladin wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:09 pm
kj
KJ,
Ray
Ray the post saying 3 3/4" is referring to a 3 blade Schlieper posted on the previous page.
Looking at the picture of the F.H. above, the blade width and depth of handle are too wide to be a copperhead. Even without anything for size comparison i can see that it is a more 'bulky' knife than a 3 3/4" copperhead.
And yes you have asked the poster to state closed length but so far he has not replied. Would be good to hear the measured size from the guy who owns the knife for confirmation.
kj
KJ,
My discussion was always about the copperhead. I never had any doubt as to the length of the 'Big Chief' folding hunter. I guess I never made a transition somewhere along the thread.

Happy New Year,
Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Well this clears things up ! I had thought you were referring to the big knife at top of this page which does have 'copperhead' style front bolsters.
kj
prairiedog

Post by prairiedog »

Not one you’ll see often...
Attachments
518BFE78-B6A2-473A-8555-A05C1B676A9A.jpeg
11D36F96-9FB3-4821-830A-DA0F62414B63.jpeg
8D6240AF-1848-49B0-9396-B1320E4003F3.jpeg
B247784E-8243-43D1-9D9B-3B69CF969C2F.jpeg
E84BD120-DE3E-4317-964C-70CFFC008673.jpeg
Perry

When the knife your grandfather/father carried or put up is handed down to you...treasure it...open it up from time to time...and by all means, keep it!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

You are right. I have never seen that Eye Brand knife before. Do you know how old it is ?
I had an older yellow handle Eye Brand stockman knife that off gassed badly. Until then i did not think the Schlieper yellow handles were celluloid.
Thank you for showing us this rare Eye Brand knife.
kj
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

Scarcer than hens teeth or frog hair! Only the third one I have seen.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
prairiedog

Post by prairiedog »

::tu:: ::groove::
Paladin wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:20 am Scarcer than hens teeth or frog hair! Only the third one I have seen.

Ray
Perry

When the knife your grandfather/father carried or put up is handed down to you...treasure it...open it up from time to time...and by all means, keep it!
prairiedog

Post by prairiedog »

Kj..it’s old...difficult to be real precise on these old eyes...but if I were guessing I’d say late 50’s. Ray or Joe might could be more definitive.
Perry

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I think it would be best to store it separate from other knives just in case it is celluloid and off gasses. It happened to mine quickly, from fine to a real mess in days.
kj
EyeBJoe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by EyeBJoe »

I have never seen one of the butterfly type Schlieper knives but since Schlieper cutlery was marketed in Maylasia and surrounding areas it kind of makes sense they would produce a knife style common to the area. I see the stamping includes Remscheid which is the location where most of the Schlieper and Eye Brand common tools were manufactured. Interesting piece and a great addition to a Schlieper collection.

Joe D.
TPK

Post by TPK »

Hello Schlieper fans,

I know I may be rushing this because it's "In the Mail" and the sellers pictures are not that great but can anyone tell me approximately how old this "56" is & a possible value. It was listed as "new" & I'm curious if it was a fair price or not. ::shrug::
When I asked the seller how old it was the answer was "Oh it's old! It was stored for many years.". LOL! :lol: I'm also curious as to the handle material If anyone would like to take a guess. Bone or Synthetic? ::shrug::

Thanks for your time & thanks for looking! ::handshake::
Take care & stay safe,
Tom
Attachments
s-l1600-221.jpg
s-l1600-207.jpg
s-l1600-98.jpg
s-l1600-73.jpg
s-l1600-118.jpg
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
EyeBJoe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by EyeBJoe »

Just an opinion from an old Schlieper collector, but this Congress pattern is not an “old” knife. “Old” is a relative term and can be interpreted in various ways, but the type of nail pull and the jig pattern on the handles suggests a more current Schlieper pattern. Can’t tell from the photos whether the handle material is bone or synthetic. Most 56 patterns over the years were bone. My guess as to value would be maybe around $45 - $50. Need some other Schlieper folks to weigh-in.

Joe D.
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

I have no idea as to value but Joe nailed it about not being an 'old' knife. That type of pull is always a tip off to a more modern Eye.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
TPK

Post by TPK »

Ok, Thanks for the Info Joe & Ray. ::handshake:: I found a couple more of these & it appears as if the handles on these are synthetic. :roll: I got it for €37 or about $40 shipped so I did ok.

Other knives like this are going for between $65 & $71 shipped here so for US prices I did ok & for Germany prices I did real good. That's why I jumped on it without much thought the other day. It wouldn't have been around very long. Just wish that it had bone handles. ::doh:: Oh well, can't win em all. :D

Thanks again guys! ::handshake:: :D
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Tom you can't win them all (with out going bankrupt) but you certainly didn't lose with that one. ::tu::

Return to “German Eye”