4 3/4 Stockman

Rotten

4 3/4 Stockman

Post by Rotten »

So my beautiful bride to be bombed me with this beauty after catching me drooling over it on the bay. Other than a small spot of blade slap on the main blade an a few lite pepper spots I would describe it as near mint. Definitely never cleaned. The main blade has a light pull and snap but the other blades are both vicious snapping gators. Been wanting a nice Schlieper for a while and this one ticks all the boxes.

Anyone want to try and give me a date range for it? Can I safely assume that the scales are delrin or did Schlieper use a different material?
4 3/4 yellow Carl Schlieper stockman
IMG_20190327_203957556.jpg
IMG_20190327_204120706.jpg
IMG_20190327_204140460.jpg
Attachments
Trace
kootenay joe

Re: 4 3/4 Stockman

Post by kootenay joe »

My guess for date range is 1980's to 1990's, most likely early 1980's.
I had an Eye Brand 4 1/4" Stockman with yellow handles off gas ! i had assumed that the yellow handles would be Delrin which came into use for knife handles about 20 years before the knife was made. So at least some of the Schlieper yellow handles are celluloid.
kj
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

kootenay joe wrote:My guess for date range is 1980's to 1990's, most likely early 1980's.
I had an Eye Brand 4 1/4" Stockman with yellow handles off gas ! i had assumed that the yellow handles would be Delrin which came into use for knife handles about 20 years before the knife was made. So at least some of the Schlieper yellow handles are celluloid.
kj
I would love to keep it all original and will watch it closely for a good while but I can already see a bit of shrinkage that has me concerned it may be celluloid as although I have seen abused delrin that has shrunk none of the delrin in my collection show shrinkage and some have had harder lives than this one.

Worse comes to worse I have a nice piece of kingwood that would look good on it.
Trace
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Delrin does not shrink. This was one of the prerequisites in it's development by Dupont at the request of Albert Baer.
kj
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I am several hundred miles from Amarillo, but from here it looks like celluloid. I have Schlieppers with that yellow handle that I know to be celluloid, and a more recently made one with yellow handles that is clearly Delrin. The celluloid has a slight translucence that the more opaque Delrin does not, and the color is a bit different. When yellow celluloid has a bit of decomposition there is often some slight darkening at the edges, and slight shrinkage These changes can be subtle and recognized through experience of handling a lot of knives. It does not mean that the knife will progress in decomposition any time soon, but it pays to watch them.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Calvin, i agree 100%. But the Schlieper i had that gassed off was NOT the shiny yellow. It looked dull like Delrin often does. Perhaps it once was shiny and the first bit of off gassing turned it dull ? Whatever, it did not appear to be celluloid until it off gassed rather suddenly.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Link to my off gassed stockman: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=51401&p=555367#p555367
kj
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I have two yellow-handled 3 eyes with the plain 'federal' type shields, from an earlier time frame. The yellow handles are not bright and shiny, a little discolored at edges. I keep the blades all open and stored with air circulation and no bright lights. They have seemed stable for a few years now. I never buy German folders with celluloid handles, and never will. Just these two, then, and I think they are nicer than all those bulldogs, Weidmansheils, etc. anyway. But there I go again with a subjective opinion. I have a great many American celluloid knives, and have seen a few with problems, Westerns and the infamous Schrade 835Y.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I asked Paladin about this not too terribly long ago as I have four yellow handled Eye Brands. He told me that to his knowledge Schleiper never used Delrin. I’d err on the side of celluloid.

I’ve not had one of the fellow handled ones out gass. But I did have a Christmas Tree handled one go off and had to have it redone.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

Here's how I'd handle the risk that it might out gas. I'd sort through my belt pouches for a good fit or make a pouch then carry the knife as my work dress code allowed. That'd kill two birds with one stone. It would not put your other knives at risk and it would show your fiancee appreciation so her next gift is not a neck tie.
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Modern Slip Joints wrote:Here's how I'd handle the risk that it might out gas. I'd sort through my belt pouches for a good fit or make a pouch then carry the knife as my work dress code allowed. That'd kill two birds with one stone. It would not put your other knives at risk and it would show your fiancee appreciation so her next gift is not a neck tie.
I'll second that. And by the way...your fiancee is a keeper!!! ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
EyeBJoe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by EyeBJoe »

From recent experience, I suggest we all keep our celluloid Eye Brands in Sack Up protector rolls, or in a wooden cigar box or knife display box located in a non-humid environment. The anguish of finding nice knives damaged by off-gassing is not worth keeping them in knife rolls or other similar places.

Joe D.
Attachments
EY Off-Gassing 1.jpg
EY Off-Gassing 1.jpg (15.07 KiB) Viewed 8341 times
EY Off-Gassing 2.jpg
EY Off-Gassing 2.jpg (14.53 KiB) Viewed 8341 times
IMG_0481.JPG
IMG_0489.JPG
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Joe,
What a heartbreaker. What a shame. ::facepalm:: Can you tell me, are these post-3 eye knives?

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
EyeBJoe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by EyeBJoe »

Ray, the first knife pictured was a 4 3/4 in. older 3 eye knife and the smaller stockman was a post 3 Eye.

Joe D.
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

EyeBJoe wrote:Ray, the first knife pictured was a 4 3/4 in. older 3 eye knife and the smaller stockman was a post 3 Eye.

Joe D.
That is sad, just sad.

Well that did it. I'm getting it rehandled ASAP luckily I have access to some old westinghouse yellow micarta which will make a very nice and stable replacement.
Trace
Hideaway Knives

Post by Hideaway Knives »

Love that pic :D

Return to “German Eye”