What do you think

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
joefm

What do you think

Post by joefm »

Seeing what you guys think about this knife I got a while back, I’ve never seen one like it.
86D4B039-7C33-4863-BD38-716D409CC558.jpeg
C624B6E0-6D94-4271-A442-99045328DA75.jpeg
B31B7CC1-30E8-41AB-B8DE-53CAD0DEF25E.jpeg
14429F35-7F37-4F9C-9832-34605C3B4F22.jpeg
Railroad Joe
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Re: What do you think

Post by Paladin »

That is a Japanese Eye Brand. There were some of those made by Schlieper back when. It might be more accurate to say that Schlieper had some of those made in Japan. I have always suspected that he had a problem from IXL Wostenholm because of the name he used. Schlieper called them Eye XL. Just speculation on my part.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Ray, do you know for sure that Schlieper was involved with these ?
I have owned a variety of their patterns and quality goes from O.K. to terrible.
I always thought that someone used parts of old IXL, Eye Brand or Taylor's Eye Witness, logos and morphed them into the one you see on the tang. The variation in quality suggests more than 1 Japanese manufacturer was involved.
Do you know when these came out ? 1980's ?
kj
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

kootenay joe wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:18 am Ray, do you know for sure that Schlieper was involved with these ?
I have owned a variety of their patterns and quality goes from O.K. to terrible.
I always thought that someone used parts of old IXL, Eye Brand or Taylor's Eye Witness, logos and morphed them into the one you see on the tang. The variation in quality suggests more than 1 Japanese manufacturer was involved.
kj
Yep, I am sure. If I can find my catalog, I'll post it.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
joefm

Post by joefm »

hey guys,

i agree with ray. i know my 2 cents aint worth much, but the other knife i have made by this brand has Eye brand all over it! its a really good quality large sodbuster. this pattern is only the second one ive owned, so i cant speak for all of them, but i know that anything ive ever questioned about Schlieper ... Ray has known!

p.s. I still have 10 Cattaraugus knives im goin to sell plus others like a Case Bowie with oringinal sheath and box! i know this aint a good time but yall know how it goes...
Railroad Joe
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is an 'Eye Logo' XL box with six 4" single blade trappers with an EO notch.
The handles are a plastic that looks a bit like low quality pearl. The fit of blade spine to spring when open is poor. The finishing of liner edges is non existent. Liner edges are rough seen well in the EO notch. The blade is dull. One side has a tiny edge grind attempt and the other side no edge grind.
This is about as low quality as Japan made in 1970's & '80's.
I had a pen knife of this brand and it was worse.
Somewhere i have a Delrin Stockman of this brand and it is o.k.
I did have a 4" LB that was marked "Schlieper" on the front tang, and "Japan" on the back tang. It is a well made knife, nothing to do with this odd EYE XL brand.
kj
Attachments
IMGP8694.JPG
IMGP8695.JPG
IMGP8696.JPG
IMGP8697.JPG
IMGP8698.JPG
IMGP8699.JPG
IMGP8700.JPG
IMGP8701.JPG
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Paladin wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:33 am
kootenay joe wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:18 am Ray, do you know for sure that Schlieper was involved with these ?
kj

Ray
Ray, any luck finding this catalog ? I would really like to see what knives are 'out there' with this branding.
kj
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

kootenay joe wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:21 pm
Paladin wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:33 am
kj

Ray
Ray, any luck finding this catalog ? I would really like to see what knives are 'out there' with this branding.
kj
KJ,
I finally took the time to dig out catalogs from both Schlieper and Forest Cruse. I am going to post 4 photos of Knife Importers (Cruse) catalogs (one from 1963) showing this line. Know I know this is not irrefutable evidence that they were connected to Schlieper. You may want to contact Mark Cruse at his wholesale knife business in Austin.
Anyway, that's my story and I am sticking to it, for now.

Ray
Attachments
1-IMG_2324.JPG
1-IMG_2325.JPG
1-IMG_2326.JPG
1-IMG_2327.JPG
Paladin

God Bless the USA
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Well, Joe. It appears that yours is a #34.
Attachments
1-IMG_2326-crop.JPG
1-IMG_2326-crop2.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Ray, the 'eye-X-L' catalog is from 1963 ?
I did not realize they were that 'old' but it does fit with the quality of these knives. Japan was still coming out of the effects of WW II and the quality of manufactured goods was still quite poor. It was in 1970's & 1980's when 'Made in Japan' knives became high quality.
So, Mr. Cruse was the importer for both Schlieper and 'eye-X-L' knives, correct ?
kj
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

kootenay joe wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:09 am Ray, the 'eye-X-L' catalog is from 1963 ?
I did not realize they were that 'old' but it does fit with the quality of these knives. Japan was still coming out of the effects of WW II and the quality of manufactured goods was still quite poor. It was in 1970's & 1980's when 'Made in Japan' knives became high quality.
So, Mr. Cruse was the importer for both Schlieper and 'eye-X-L' knives, correct ?
kj
Yes, actually he was the sole distributor of Schlieper products and since this is a Schlieper product,,, well, you know. :wink:

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Hideaway Knives

Post by Hideaway Knives »

Love it! great piece

Return to “European-made knives”