German F Herder two blade

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
jkidd

German F Herder two blade

Post by jkidd »

Good evening,
I am new to this site, my name is Jami. My husband collects knives, he loves them. I recently purchased a knife for him at a pawn shop just because I thought it was different. Now, we find it difficult to learn anything about it and so I thought maybe someone here could help. It is an F Herder Solingen. The blades are Constant. It is a very thin knife. On one side there is an image of a factory with the word Werkanlage. I believe that means little factory. On the other side, is the Piskas (spade) with Anno 1727..I assume that is a date. In the middle is the fork symbol, the bottom is crossed keys with Anno 1848. I guess another date possibly referencing manufacturing in different countries? Why two dates on one knife? Is the metal carbon steel or perhaps brass? I have photos below. Thank you for any info you can provide, we appreciate it.

Jami K.
Attachments
IMG_20200909_201702.jpg
IMG_20200909_201549.jpg
IMG_20200909_200820.jpg
IMG_20200909_200807.jpg
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: German F Herder two blade

Post by Ripster »

jkidd wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:27 am Good evening,
I am new to this site, my name is Jami. My husband collects knives, he loves them. I recently purchased a knife for him at a pawn shop just because I thought it was different. Now, we find it difficult to learn anything about it and so I thought maybe someone here could help. It is an F Herder Solingen. The blades are Constant. It is a very thin knife. On one side there is an image of a factory with the word Werkanlage. I believe that means little factory. On the other side, is the Piskas (spade) with Anno 1727..I assume that is a date. In the middle is the fork symbol, the bottom is crossed keys with Anno 1848. I guess another date possibly referencing manufacturing in different countries? Why two dates on one knife? Is the metal carbon steel or perhaps brass? I have photos below. Thank you for any info you can provide, we appreciate it.

Jami K.
Welcome to AAPK, don’t know much about your knife in Question . Someone will show up, With info, .
This is a great place to learn ,share ,and meet other knife enthusiasts. Hope you both show some of what you collect,or accumulate! .. take care
JP
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Friedr. Herder Abr. Sohn is the oldest manufacturer of knives in Solingen Germany going back to 1623. It is a huge manufacturer of all kinds of knives: pocket knives, military knives, hunting knives and kitchen/butcher knives, etc.
Your knife shows an image of the factory and a few of their registered trade marks: "Constant" was registered in 1927, the "Ace of Spades" registered in 1727 and the "Key" and "Crossed Keys" in 1848, and "Four Light Candelabrum" also in 1848.
As it is an F. Herder knife and showing some of their most famous trademarks perhaps it was sold in a gift shop associated with their factory ?
It is a nice pen knife but the value is low because few people in USA collect vintage German cutlery so the demand is low and there are a great many old German made pocket knives 'out there'.
It is certainly of good quality and the blades will take and hold a sharp edge so it is a good one to put into a pocket or purse and carry it with you.
If you have more questions don't hesitate to ask. The information i have given comes from a reference book "German Knife and Sword Makers 1850-1945" by J. Anthony Carter.
kj
RevolverGuy

Post by RevolverGuy »

That is a really nice Herder. I own one of their knives and they're getting harder to find these days. They were at one time the oldest knife maker in Germany but the company went under and closed in 1993. The Constant logo with the spades was introduced in 1927. At the time they were introducing a new type of steel which they named "constant steel". Not a whole lot is known about the composition today.

The company name was bought by Tim Kraemer who has since tried to reintroduce the brand as kitchen knives, but there has not been much interest. From what I know they are made by contract only and by another Solingen manufacturer. If you can write/speak German I recommend you visit their current website: https://www.herder-solingen.de/ I have written them a few times to get some information, but records from the past are pretty much non-existent.
TPK

Post by TPK »

Cool knife. Not much I can add to what has already been posted but Welcome to the AAPK! ::handshake:: :D
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Hideaway Knives

Post by Hideaway Knives »

Love that handle great piece!
Clark23

Post by Clark23 »

Hideaway Knives wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:43 pm Love that handle great piece!
I have someone asking about this knife, anyone that can help me on a date range? I don’t have more pictures as of now. I seen where the spades was registered in 1727 and know when it was stopped?
Attachments
7008AA2E-F120-4766-8901-930C459CDFE8.png
2221944D-D760-41A6-BD48-484C3DFAF129.png

Return to “European-made knives”