Sawback Schliepper

conslade
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Sawback Schliepper

Post by conslade »

I picked this nice old Eye Brand blade up at a knife show this morning. I'm not sure what the original knife looked like. Was it military? What kind of handle did it have. Blade measures 8 1/4" with an OAL of 13 1/4". Blade thickness is .210". Any help would be appreciated.
Attachments
100_0652.JPG
100_0654.JPG
100_0655.JPG
100_0656.JPG
100_0657.JPG
We are all smarter than any one of us. Let us learn from each other.
Cartophilis

Re: Sawback Schliepper

Post by Cartophilis »

Man, if that was mine , id sure put a handle on that... You going to keep it?
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Not military. Had a Stag handle. Sold in 1970's-'80's in USA as an outdoors or hunting knife. I used to have one but sold it. OAL about 11-12" if i remember correctly.
kj
tallguy606

Post by tallguy606 »

Some years ago I bought a Schliepper blade similar to this off of Ebay for like $20. But mine had a stub instead of a full-length tang. The stub was about 2 inches long, made to fit into a hollow-handle survival knife, I think. I made a handle from a piece of 1/4 inch aluminum plate. Cut a deep notch for the stub to fit into. Made a brass crossguard, pinned dymonwood scales to each side, and JB Welded the whole thing together. Crude but extremely solid. The blade is almost a quarter-inch thick and takes down saplings with one stroke.
conslade
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by conslade »

Well, I was kinda hoping it was military but I didn't really think it was. I plan to put a nickle silver guard with a stag handle and then sell it. I'll try to remember to post finished pictures when I'm done. Thanks for all the info, guys! this is such a good place to mine some info from a wide assortment of brains (all of which seem to be packed with a lot of knife lore and a lot of other stuff, too.).
EyeBJoe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by EyeBJoe »

A bit late entering into this thread but thought it might be of interest to show that a similar knife was still offered from Schlieper in the late 80’s and very early ‘90’s. This picture from a color catalog done by the importer at the time, Mark Cruse of Austin, Texas. The OP knife is a larger version but did in fact have a full stag handle like those in the catalog.
Attachments
D6549F56-F294-4F1E-A879-504CD27C2955.jpeg
conslade
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by conslade »

Thanks EyeBJoe, that is a very good looking set of knives. I never ran across any of them back in the day.

Return to “German Eye”