Yellow Handle’s

Eye Brand Man

Yellow Handle’s

Post by Eye Brand Man »

Anybody ever see a yellow handled eye out gas? I know the cracked ice were notorious for it. Were the older yellow knives truly celluloid? I have one old knife in my collection that has white liners on the scales with an almost translucent yellow on top. I’m pretty sure it’s celluloid. But it shows zero signs of gassing.
Eye Brand Collector
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Yellow Handle’s

Post by Colonel26 »

I have a few of them. There’s been some handle shrinkage, but none have outgassed, knock on wood.

I did have an old Eye Brand whittler that was my dad’s with the Christmas tree celluloid and it started out gassing. I sent it out to Glennbad and got her some new clothes and she’s better than new.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

The Christmas Tree and the black & white and one other I can't recall right now are prone to gas out or out gas, whichever it is. I have never had a problem with the yellow handles but some here have.
I am familiar with the yellow with white liner. Mine was a folding hunter. I do believe that handle is likely celluloid but I am not surprised that it is stable. Still, just for safety's sake, I would store it separately.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
luckydog64
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by luckydog64 »

I looked for the post and couldnt find it but some member here had a pile of yellow handles decomposed. Been couple or more years ago but I started trading off all my yellow handles after that. I have one newer whittler left is all.
Earth First! We'll mine the other planets later.
EyeBJoe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by EyeBJoe »

Lucktydog, I did post several pictures a couple of years ago of some yellow handle older Eye Brands that seriously decomposed. They had been in knife rolls for several years. Any Eye Brand with celluloid handles or any other derivative should definitely be separately stored as Ray suggests. It’s always a shock to find a knife that you have tried to care for, with handles decomposed and the blades loaded with rust.

Joe D.

Return to “German Eye”