Seldom Seen Case Bowie

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Seldom Seen Case Bowie

Post by btrwtr »

Here is a very early Case Bowie hunting type knife marked W.R. CASE & SONS BRADFORD PA. I bought this knife years ago because of the early stamp even though the handle was badly broken. Only a small potrion of the handle remained. The 2 part gutta percha handle was inletted to make a hidden tang knife. The bolts that secured the handle and the piece of the handle that remained with the knife are shown in the pictures. Blade is a full 6" in length.

Sargent's 7th edition book shows an example of this knife in the upper left hand corner of page 368 although this knife is shown with Rogers bone handle. I feel pretty sure the checkered gutta percha handle on the I have was original because of the way it fit the knife but I have never seen an intact example.
I finally got around to repairing the handle replacing it with cocobolo wood. Not original but at least now it is whole again.
Attachments
IMG_6010.JPG
IMG_6012.JPG
IMG_6013.JPG
IMG_6014.JPG
IMG_6015.JPG
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Gunsil

Re: Seldom Seen Case Bowie

Post by Gunsil »

Cool knife Wayne!! I have a "Son" version with bone handles, have seen the "Son" one with the Patton saber type handles too. Nobody seems to know the actual maker, neither Brad nor I think Case actually made them.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

I
Gunsil wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:08 pm Cool knife Wayne!! I have a "Son" version with bone handles, have seen the "Son" one with the Patton saber type handles too. Nobody seems to know the actual maker, neither Brad nor I think Case actually made them.
Thanks Gene. I've wondered who made these as well. Agreed they weren't likely made by Case but made on contract. The gutta percha handles could be a clue. Maybe the mystery will be solved some day. I would like to see a picture of yours if you get a chance to post one.

Wayne

FRJ

Post by FRJ »

What a neat knife, Wayne.
Great job on the Cocobolo handle.
Joe
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Here ya go Wayne. 5&1/2" blade, has more original finish than any I or Brad have seen so far. So far all the "Son" versions have the extremely wide guard. Bob Burtcher had a stag one, looked right. Wayne, I just posted an odd bowie hunter marked NY Union Cutlery Co in four lines, I have never seen one before would like to know what you think. These will also be found with handles like yours originally had, those handles look like surplus Patton sabre handles to me.

5FDF01E1-E09B-4260-81E1-33CA4F7D4EA7.jpeg
C24F66FD-3AFB-4F51-839E-EEA45C2F8831.jpeg
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Thanks for posting it Gene. Looks like an awesome example. The guard on my knife is very thin pewter. I think the handle profile is different also as mine had little taper to it.

Wayne

Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

You're welcome sir, I had to dig in the safe a while this AM to find it. I think your guard is more likely nickel, pewter breaks or bends too easily. I also think yours was available in bone or stag also without the covered tang since the ones like I have came all three ways.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”