Are the CASE XX item numbers important?

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
centennialknives
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Are the CASE XX item numbers important?

Post by centennialknives »

Hi All. I know about the pattern numbers (such as 6220 being a Peanut, 2 blade, jigged bone or synthetic), but do the ITEM NUMBERS mean anything other than for inventory? I've purchased Case knives from Shepherd Hills (and many other shops/online), and they all have different item numbers shown on the box.

For example, I have many 6220 peanut case xx knives, but have item numbers like:
and many more.

Maybe it's nothing, but thought I'd ask. Mr. google leads me back to pattern numbers.
Robert
Washington, IL (near Peoria)
"Always keep an edge on your knife 'cause a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life." - Corb Lund
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Are the CASE XX item numbers important?

Post by treefarmer »

centennialknives wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:43 pm Hi All. I know about the pattern numbers (such as 6220 being a Peanut, 2 blade, jigged bone or synthetic), but do the ITEM NUMBERS mean anything other than for inventory? I've purchased Case knives from Shepherd Hills (and many other shops/online), and they all have different item numbers shown on the box.

For example, I have many 6220 peanut case xx knives, but have item numbers like:
and many more.

Maybe it's nothing, but thought I'd ask. Mr. google leads me back to pattern numbers.
I believe your assessment of these numbers being for inventory purposes would be correct. There are 2 Case knives on my desk, still in boxes with the same sort of numbers in addition to the Case pattern numbers. There's a small Sodbuster with the so-called bonestag, a 6.5137SS. It also has 3 other different numbers that don't seem to mean anything to me as far as identifying the knife. Same with a Slimline trapper, 71048SS, it also has 3 other sets of numbers on the box that don't seem to have anything to do with the basic pattern 048. :)
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Personally I have not found a use for Item numbers, but maybe some have? ::shrug::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

This question has been asked and answered on the forum previously. FWIW, here's a thread from 2014 in which I asked the same question.

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kn ... 66&t=42932

Unfortunately, I never got a satisfactory answer. Apparently Knifeaholic answered the "Item Number question" even before my query, but he didn't say where (in what thread) and I was never able to locate his answer. Eventually, I stopped worrying/wondering about it. ::undecided::
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
centennialknives
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by centennialknives »

Thanks. I never lost a minute sleep over it, but was curious. We'll call it inventory, SKU, whatever, ....

::tu::
Robert
Washington, IL (near Peoria)
"Always keep an edge on your knife 'cause a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life." - Corb Lund
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

The only thing that I can think of where it might be helpful to know these numbers would be if you were trying to refill an empty display case of a special set of knives. If I recall correctly Case uses the item number on these display cases. Other than that I think those numbers don't have much external importance.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”