case shields

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
highoctane12

case shields

Post by highoctane12 »

Did case in 1975/76 use a different shield to identify the difference between Delrin and bone?
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Re: case shields

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I've never heard that Case shields had any relationship to handle material.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Yes they did. The Delrin shield had no oval line around the word CASE.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
TwoFlowersLuggage

Well I'll be darned! TIL...
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

I actually think some of the delrin shields started in 1973. I read that they started in 1974 but I have had a few 73s with the delrin shield.
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

I believe the practice of distinguishing shields was stopped in the 80's or 90's.
Don't quote me .. ... .. ::shrug::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

1980 Case Yellow Delrin 3318 with the "Delrin Shield" and a 1981 Case bone handled 6318 with the traditional Case shield. OH
Attachments
Case 3318 HE - CV 1980.jpg
Case 6318 CV Nine-dot 1981.JPG
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
TwoFlowersLuggage

I think it would be great if one of you that understands the "rules" and dates for Delrin/bone shields would write it up for the research page: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/co ... x-shields/
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Here's another thread on the subject viewtopic.php?f=66&t=47855&p=494773&hil ... ld#p494773

TFL I did write up something a couple years ago and submit it. IIRC included pictures of the delrin shield and the Tested Block Letter shield. Got a thank you note back from one of the admins, but said Bryan was the one who would have to add it and he was busy working on some other improvements (I think it was the store upgrades). So it would have to go to the back burner. Knowing that Bryan is one man band here at AAPK, I didn't pursue it further. Maybe some day it'll get added.

The most comprehensive information on Case shields I've seen is available in Steve Pfeiffer's book.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Landersknives wrote:I actually think some of the delrin shields started in 1973. I read that they started in 1974 but I have had a few 73s with the delrin shield.
Absolutely correct! Started in 73' on 5 or six specific knife patterns (Based on memory that is how many). The info is listed on first page of Pocket Traders Guide for year 1973'.

I have one. A 1973' 6111-1/2L Swing Guard with the comp shield. I also have the same knife/ same year with the non comp shield. So in 1973' you will find examples of the same pattern in delrin with both shield types.

Here are the 2 examples. Second knife is 2 post down from link target...

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=30906&hilit=cheetah&start=17

Regards, Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

all three 7 dots with shields pics...

Disregard the text in pic as that was for another thread
Attachments
CASE Dot Location Comparison_three known 7 dot_top 2 knives are delrin_with comments.jpg
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”