Case 6276 1/2 Frankenknife/Red Herring or ????

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Case 6276 1/2 Frankenknife/Red Herring or ????

Post by herbva »

Let me start out by saying that I have not lost my marbles (or what's left of them) and invested a fortune in this poor lost soul that I recently acquired. (I have a total of $11 tied up in it and the closed C shield is worth at least that much to me.) I've researched the 76 1/2 pattern and have found 2 versions: a 2-blade pen configuration and a 3-blade split back whittler and both have sleeveboard shaped frames. This one looks to me like someone tried to force a nice Case Bradford 6276 1/2 blade into another frame, ground the heck out of it trying to get it to fit, and then gave up on this desecration. Any opinions or theories would be appreciated. Is this the red herring I think it is, or is it another version of the 76 pattern? What pattern is this frame? I measure it at exactly 3 7/16". The pattern closest to this frame that I can find is pattern 18, but all of my 18's are just a tad over 3 1/2", and this one is under 3 1/2", slightly thicker, a little less curvy or serpentine, and the rounded bolsters may be a bit "boxier". One last thing, I'm pretty sure the tang stamp on the pen blade is the Case Tested oval. ::shrug::
Attachments
DSCN9908.JPG
DSCN9904.JPG
DSCN9910.JPG
DSCN9911.JPG
DSCN9907.JPG
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case 6276 1/2 Frankenknife/Red Herring or ????

Post by btrwtr »

Frame looks like the shape of a 62074 1/2 pattern but not qiuite correct for that.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”