Newest Case Pick-Ups

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
jmh58

Re: Newest Case Pick-Ups

Post by jmh58 »

Grump01 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:41 pm
cudgee wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:10 am Just got an email from a Case dealer in the hills where sheep are. Anyone who likes sodbusters and or a good work knife, they have some listed in Carbon Steel for $39.99 with red covers, i presume some sort of synthetic. :)
Saw this and just had to look on the hill. welp, got a Jr & Sr coming in Red to go with my Blacks & Yellows as if I needed more......... ::shrug::
::tu:: ::nod:: ::tu:: ::handshake::
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

cudgee wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:10 am Just got an email from a Case dealer in the hills where sheep are. Anyone who likes sodbusters and or a good work knife, they have some listed in Carbon Steel for $39.99 with red covers, i presume some sort of synthetic. :)
Saw this and just had to look on the hill. welp, got a Jr & Sr coming in Red to go with my Blacks & Yellows as if I needed more......... ::shrug::
:lol: :lol: :lol: ::tu::
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

cudgee wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:55 pm

Make sure you post them, cudgee. 😉👍

BTW- I posted something for you on the Train thread. ::nod::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

1967redrider wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:46 pm
cudgee wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:55 pm

Make sure you post them, cudgee. 😉👍

BTW- I posted something for you on the Train thread. ::nod::
Unfortunately i cannot purchase Case knives anymore, they will not sell to Australia, and a few other countries. ::doh:: :x :x :x ::td:: ::td:: ::td::
BIGHEAD

Post by BIGHEAD »

You know enough people here that could buy and ship to you.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Bought this one, but I'm not all that impressed with it.
It seems to be a good knife however the design is only on one side
and the weight is more than I thought it would be. I had planned
on carrying it in Sunday slacks but it is too heavy. It will be great for a
pair of jeans. The cover is like a clamshell that slides over the liners,
that's the best I can describe it.
20220624_082238.jpg
20220624_082340.jpg
20220624_082355.jpg
20220624_082552.jpg
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Breeze

Post by Breeze »

dlr110 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:54 pm Bought this one, but I'm not all that impressed with it.
It seems to be a good knife however the design is only on one side
and the weight is more than I thought it would be. I had planned
on carrying it in Sunday slacks but it is too heavy. It will be great for a
pair of jeans. The cover is like a clamshell that slides over the liners,
that's the best I can describe it.
20220624_082238.jpg20220624_082340.jpg20220624_082355.jpg20220624_082552.jpg
Thanks for posting ::tu::
I'm disappointed the design is only on one side. I was thinking about a brass one. Clamshell design doesn't thrill me either. I think I'll wait until I can see one in person.
Mike
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Recent Cases
Attachments
IMG_2665.JPG
David
Breeze

Post by Breeze »

DM11 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:37 pmRecent Cases
Nice haul ::tu::
Mike
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Wow, David!
You should have gotten 2 more and had a new one for each day of the week. ::poke::
Very nice.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

treefarmer wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:36 pm Wow, David!
You should have gotten 2 more and had a new one for each day of the week. ::poke::
Very nice.
Treefarmer
Dont think I'm done just yet so may get there soon Philp. :D
David
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Don't stop now David, you're on a roll. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::nod::
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

This knife represents the end of the road for me...at least for this year. If there's still any kind of habitable world remaining at the start of 2023, I might resume my knife collecting then, although it would be on a much more limited scale.

2022 Barehead Wharncliffe Trapper 10154W CS Green Canvas Micarta
P7080013.JPG
P7080003.JPG
P7080006.JPG
P7080012.JPG

Overall, it's an OK knife, nothing special except for the single Wharncliffe blade and the slim profile. Not too sure about the carbon steel (CS) that was used, I'm guessing it must be different from the chrome vanadium (CV) Case normally uses when not using their proprietary SS surgical stainless steel. ::shrug::

Sadly, I am not 100% satisfied with the quality of this particular knife.

The run-up is probably the worst I have ever seen on a Case knife ::disgust::
P7080008.JPG

The blade is not centered (not off enough to rub, but definitely not dead centered) :(
P7080009.JPG

The opening action feels strange to me, not at all what I am used to on Case knives. Feels too tight as though the tang is being pinched too much at the pivot. :x (No half-stop, but this is normal on a full-size 54 Trapper)
P7080007.JPG

Fortunately, the lock-up is solid with good snap and no wobble in any direction. :|
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

QTCut5 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:22 am This knife represents the end of the road for me...at least for this year. If there's still any kind of habitable world remaining at the start of 2023, I might resume my knife collecting then, although it would be on a much more limited scale.

2022 Wharncliffe Trapper 10154W CS Green Canvas Micarta
~Q~ from your pictures I would say that is a classy looking knife but from you review it sounds like the CASE craftsmanship and attention to detail just might be right out the window on this one.

When you say end of the road I can understand with the price of everything going through the roof, but I hope you will stay with us on AAPK, please.
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

QTCut5 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:22 am This knife represents the end of the road for me...at least for this year. If there's still any kind of habitable world remaining at the start of 2023, I might resume my knife collecting then, although it would be on a much more limited scale.

2022 Barehead Wharncliffe Trapper 10154W CS Green Canvas Micarta
P7080013.JPGP7080003.JPGP7080006.JPGP7080012.JPG

Overall, it's an OK knife, nothing special except for the single Wharncliffe blade and the slim profile. Not too sure about the carbon steel (CS) that was used, I'm guessing it must be different from the chrome vanadium (CV) Case normally uses when not using their proprietary SS surgical stainless steel. ::shrug::

Sadly, I am not 100% satisfied with the quality of this particular knife.

The run-up is probably the worst I have ever seen on a Case knife ::disgust::
P7080008.JPG

The blade is not centered (not off enough to rub, but definitely not dead centered) :(
P7080009.JPG

The opening action feels strange to me, not at all what I am used to on Case knives. Feels too tight as though the tang is being pinched too much at the pivot. :x (No half-stop, but this is normal on a full-size 54 Trapper)
P7080007.JPG

Fortunately, the lock-up is solid with good snap and no wobble in any direction. :|
Sure is a cool looking knife, Q. Like David said, please don't be a stranger. Hopefully things will get better for everyone, although it might not seem that way now. I love looking at your collection. You can start posting them again from the beginning, and we'll have enough to enjoy for a few years at least! You are a huge part of AAPK, and let's hope it stays that way! Cheers, Kerry :D
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

toomanyknives wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:06 pm Hopefully things will get better for everyone, although it might not seem that way now.
I hope so, too. Making it so is incumbent upon we, the people.

Q, that 10154W sure looks nice. Shame about the subpar workmanship, though.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Was sucked in by the siren song of Wharn, single blade, bare head carbon steel, OD canvas micarta, SFO. But I have to second what Q said. The run up is really bad and the micarta is so far from even side to side it's sad. Case can do much better than this, don't know what they were thinking working on it, or at the quality control inspection. Embarrassing.
Attachments
thumbnail_20220711_113244.jpg
thumbnail_20220711_150014.jpg
thumbnail_20220711_113633.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Sad to see this kind of quality from Case.
steve99f
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Ivoryman wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:05 am Was sucked in by the siren song of Wharn, single blade, bare head carbon steel, OD canvas micarta, SFO. But I have to second what Q said. The run up is really bad and the micarta is so far from even side to side it's sad. Case can do much better than this, don't know what they were thinking working on it, or at the quality control inspection. Embarrassing.
Someone just put a new sanding belt on, and got a bit carried away. Wow. Sorry you got that one I-Man. I'm sure they will exchange that, but I know how you feel if you didn't want another one...
Buck Casey

Post by Buck Casey »

A pair of red jacks. I think I will "hold em"
20220711_220631.jpg
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Buck Casey,
Those are fine ol’ Case knives!
I believe I would also “hold ‘em”. ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

toomanyknives wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:37 am
Ivoryman wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:05 am Was sucked in by the siren song of Wharn, single blade, bare head carbon steel, OD canvas micarta, SFO. But I have to second what Q said. The run up is really bad and the micarta is so far from even side to side it's sad. Case can do much better than this, don't know what they were thinking working on it, or at the quality control inspection. Embarrassing.
Someone just put a new sanding belt on, and got a bit carried away. Wow. Sorry you got that one I-Man. I'm sure they will exchange that, but I know how you feel if you didn't want another one...
I might just do that. It's so bad I would be embarrassed to carry it and pull it out. If they just put on a new sanding belt, they ruined at least the next two knives since Qtcut5 has one that looks as bad. That's two in the run. Bad numbers already for a smaller SFO. But it's so bad I think you may have something. I hate to do it, but I can't see reaching for this knife given it's so poorly done and depressing. Thanks for the tip.

steve99f wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:22 am Sad to see this kind of quality from Case.

Amen x 10
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Breeze

Post by Breeze »

QTCut5 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:22 am Overall, it's an OK knife, nothing special except for the single Wharncliffe blade and the slim profile. Not too sure about the carbon steel (CS) that was used, I'm guessing it must be different from the chrome vanadium (CV) Case normally uses when not using their proprietary SS surgical stainless steel. ::shrug::

According to Case CS is 1095, and CV was a "...custom blend of 1095 steel..."

https://caseknives.com/blogs/news/the-c ... ae14&_ss=r
Mike
TPK

Post by TPK »

Buck Casey wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:35 pm A pair of red jacks. I think I will "hold em"20220711_220631.jpg
Sweeeeeeet! ::nod:: ::tu:: Congrats Buck Casey! ::handshake:: ::super_happy::

"You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run
You never count your money
When you're sittin' at the table
There'll be time enough for countin'
When the dealin's done"

::paranoid:: I was a Kenny Rogers fan as a kid. ::nod:: :lol:
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Q, I wonder if a thoughtful letter to the Case CEO explaining -in a friendly yet concerned manner-the frequent disappointment in quality might have influence.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”