Newest Case Pick-Ups

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
BIGHEAD

Re: Newest Case Pick-Ups

Post by BIGHEAD »

Either Queen or Bluegrass cutlery.
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

QTCut5 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:13 am
Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:27 pm I picked up this one the other day when CCC dropped it. Only 153 made. Burnt cream bone with barn board jigging. Random carbon Damascus blade. Barehead single blade trapper. Not sure if the handle material or the Damascus blade is what pushed me to buy it, probably both. Plus this knife has NO brass on it. That’s always a plus in my book.
Very nice, Mark. I love the single-blade Wharncliffe 154W Trappers and the Damascus blade with that burnt cream barnboard handle is downright classy...really makes me wish I had joined the CCC just to get one of those beauties. (If/when you ever decide to part with it, I know of a good home where it will be loved and cherished :wink: )
Yep - great find & really unique one with the barnboard sides and old school damascus blade !
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

QTCut5 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:40 pm Even though I already have this model, I snagged this one out of the Bay because nobody else was bidding on it for some reason. Perfect, mint condition. It doesn't happen often, but every now and then good deals can still be found on knives like this that fly under the radar. I scored this beauty for a whopping $37.00. This one has Tested Red Jigged Bone which is my favorite modern Case red bone variation (not to be confused with the classic redbone from the early years)
Nice score Q ... well, at least this affirms good deals still actually exist on eBay ::tu::

John
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Lansky1 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:58 pm Nice score Q ... well, at least this affirms good deals still actually exist on eBay ::tu::
Thanks, John. I think my $37.00 Tested Red 6207W must have been a fluke.
Check out this Grey Appaloosa A6207 that just sold for a seriously jaw-dropping $169.50!!! ::uc:: :shock:
I am not the buyer...Thankfully, I already have this model in my collection (and mine is nicer IMHO! ::nod:: )

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265871719835?n ... 7675.l2557
Case A6207.jpg

If prices keep going like this, I might have to sell my collection and buy a vintage Jaguar XK-E! ::hmm::
~Q~
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

QTCut5 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:34 am
Lansky1 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:58 pm Nice score Q ... well, at least this affirms good deals still actually exist on eBay ::tu::
Thanks, John. I think my $37.00 Tested Red 6207W must have been a fluke.
Check out this Grey Appaloosa A6207 that just sold for a seriously jaw-dropping $169.50!!! ::uc:: :shock:
I am not the buyer...Thankfully, I already have this model in my collection (and mine is nicer IMHO! ::nod:: )

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265871719835?n ... 7675.l2557
Case A6207.jpg

If prices keep going like this, I might have to sell my collection and buy a vintage Jaguar XK-E! ::hmm::
LOL - thats crazy ! Like I always say though, good pictures = good money. That guy took a
high def picture that really shows the above average bone, and he got big $$. Not sure if thats appaloosa bone, but I dig it !

John
Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Gone2Three »

Boy it's hard to follow those two beauties, sure like that whittler John! ::tu::

I've got to say, I've been a little disappointed with the overall presentation on the last few Case knives that have shipped to me.
The fit and finish hasn't been on par with knives of past, also how much difference between what is shown in the catalog and what actually arrives

Case and point (no pun intended) for these two...

The pumpkin Spice bone trapper was on back order for me, I was notified that it was shipping along with my other selection
The color is very different than what was shown in the centerfold of the latest Smokey Mountain Knife Works catalog, and as well on what is represented online:

And the Burnt Cream Barn Board looks washed out ::uc::

So I'm thinking that maybe I should start ordering multiple pieces and then go thru them and pick the best of the group and send back the other's... ::hmm::
I just hate having to deal with the hassle of the return process
I'm on the fence whether or not I should reorder them and see what happens ::shrug::

Thanks for letting me vent and share my new additions ::handshake::
Randy
Attachments
ca19893_web-04.jpg
20220916_175718.jpg
ca36727.jpg
20220916_180723.jpg
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Gone2Three wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:52 pm Boy it's hard to follow those two beauties, sure like that whittler John! ::tu::

I've got to say, I've been a little disappointed with the overall presentation on the last few Case knives that have shipped to me.
The fit and finish hasn't been on par with knives of past, also how much difference between what is shown in the catalog and what actually arrives

The pumpkin Spice bone trapper was on back order for me, I was notified that it was shipping along with my other selection
The color is very different than what was shown in the centerfold of the latest Smokey Mountain Knife Works catalog, and as well on what is represented online:

So I'm thinking that maybe I should start ordering multiple pieces and then go thru them and pick the best of the group and send back the other's... ::hmm::
I'm on the fence whether or not I should reorder them and see what happens ::shrug::

Randy

Hear hear, right there with you. My last modern Case might be my last modern Case. Total disappointment. For what it's worth I like the scales on the knife you received better than the one in the SMKW catalog/centerfold. Same with me, fit and finish wasn't on par with what it should be. I don't know what to do about it either. I sent it back and Case refused to fix my issues. Then I read the reviews at DLT trading where I bought it and almost every one of them echoed my complaints. Sign of the times at Case Co.

On a related note, just picked up this 1965-69 red bone 62087 with the Clip blade. The fit and finish is excellent, the color great, the tight no wobble when open thrills me, the smooooooooth open and close, the great sound of the walk and talk and the snap open and closed authoritative and tight, but not a nail breaker. Real smooth knife. $64.99 plus tax. Love these old Case knives and just makes me more melancholy about the modern ones, especially from this century. Total disappointment in most of my Case knives made since 2015. Don't know what is going on at the Case factory but they are not slipping a bit, they are sliding down hill fast and at an increasingly disturbing rate. While these oldies don't disappoint. Well the Spear 62014 1/2 has a pen blade spring that is a bit proud closed, open it's flush. But other than that it's tons better than my latest Case Trapper and last Swayback Gent.
Attachments
thumbnail_20220916_163930.jpg
thumbnail_20220916_164046.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Gone2Three »

Ivoryman wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:58 pm
Gone2Three wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:52 pm Boy it's hard to follow those two beauties, sure like that whittler John! ::tu::

Randy

Hear hear, right there with you. My last modern Case might be my last modern Case. Total disappointment. For what it's worth I like the scales on the knife you received better than the one in the SMKW catalog/centerfold. Same with me, fit and finish wasn't on par with what it should be. I don't know what to do about it either. I sent it back and Case refused to fix my issues. Then I read the reviews at DLT trading where I bought it and almost every one of them echoed my complaints. Sign of the times at Case Co.

On a related note, just picked up this 1965-69 red bone 62087 with the Clip blade. The fit and finish is excellent, the color great, the tight no wobble when open thrills me, the smooooooooth open and close, the great sound of the walk and talk and the snap open and closed authoritative and tight, but not a nail breaker. Real smooth knife. $64.99 plus tax. Love these old Case knives and just makes me more melancholy about the modern ones, especially from this century. Total disappointment in most of my Case knives made since 2015. Don't know what is going on at the Case factory but they are not slipping a bit, they are sliding down hill fast and at an increasingly disturbing rate. While these oldies don't disappoint. Well the Spear 62014 1/2 has a pen blade spring that is a bit proud closed, open it's flush. But other than that it's tons better than my latest Case Trapper and last Swayback Gent.
I appreciate that, it's growing on me and my wife said that it looks "pretty " and fall like so.... who knows ::skeptic::

That's a very nice Red bone 62087 ! Boy they sure don't make them like they used to ...thanks for sharing them both ::handshake::
Randy
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Gone2Three wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:20 am
I appreciate that, it's growing on me and my wife said that it looks "pretty " and fall like so.... who knows ::skeptic::

That's a very nice Red bone 62087 ! Boy they sure don't make them like they used to ...thanks for sharing them both ::handshake::
Randy
[/quote]

No problem, and thank you too. I still like to hear about others' experience with them. Appreciate that always.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Randy
Love the Pumpkin Spice Bone. Hopefully it will grow on you.
Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Gone2Three »

cudgee wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:38 am

Randy
Love the Pumpkin Spice Bone. Hopefully it will grow on you.

Randy

Randy
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Gone2Three wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:52 pm And the Burnt Cream Barn Board looks washed out ::uc::
Yours isn't the only one like that...jerryd also got one that was even more washed out than yours. I guess I got lucky because the one I got isn't quite as washed out but it's still not as dark (burnt) as the picture shown in the SMKW catalog.
Burnt Cream 6149.JPG

The pile side color on mine is closer to the way it was advertised
Burnt Cream Barnboard.JPG
~Q~
TPK

Post by TPK »

Beautiful additions gentlemen! ::nod:: ::tu::

I-Man those two you showed us are just breathtakingly beautiful IMO. ::nod:: ::tu::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Gone2Three »

TPK wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:34 am Beautiful additions gentlemen! ::nod:: ::tu::

I-Man those two you showed us are just breathtakingly beautiful IMO. ::nod:: ::tu::
Thanks Tom ::handshake:: 🍻
Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Gone2Three »

QTCut5 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:46 am
Gone2Three wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:52 pm And the Burnt Cream Barn Board looks washed out ::uc::
Yours isn't the only one like that...jerryd also got one that was even more washed out than yours. I guess I got lucky because the one I got isn't quite as washed out but it's still not as dark (burnt) as the picture shown in the SMKW catalog.

Burnt Cream 6149.JPG

The pile side color on mine is closer to the way it was advertised
Burnt Cream Barnboard.JPG
Q, glad you got one that's closer to the look of the advertisement
I'm over the shock now and I can live with it....
Honestly, I know that there will always be some variation in the color and finish from piece to piece but I guess I'm expecting it to be as close to the represented piece as possible

Randy
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Synthetic handles aren't as nice as natural handle materials IMO, but they have much less potential for variation--other than the distinct swirl pattern in the Kirinite, I suppose.

Here are my latest two Case Mini Trapper acquisitions:
2022 (hot off the press) 4207W Smooth White Synthetic with Pewter Shield
2021 10207 Aqua Kirinite with Sparxx Shield.

P9240003.JPG
P9240034.JPG
P9240030.JPG
P9240021.JPG
P9240023.JPG
~Q~
TPK

Post by TPK »

Two more beautiful acquisitions Q! ::nod:: ::tu:: Congrats Buddy! ::handshake:: ::super_happy::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
knifeaddict1965
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaddict1965 »

Great pick-ups fellas...
Kevin
Breeze

Post by Breeze »

Tortoiseshell wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:45 am My newest and only serrated blade love it
Sweet ::tu::
Mike
Breeze

Post by Breeze »

DanTX1953 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:24 pm mailman just delivered this Case Tribal Lock {I am a sucker for blue handles)
Tribals are great knives. Case should consider giving it a "mini" treatment like they did with the copperlock.
Aqua Kirinite looks great ::tu::
Mike
Breeze

Post by Breeze »

QTCut5 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:40 pm Even though I already have this model, I snagged this one out of the Bay because nobody else was bidding on it for some reason. Perfect, mint condition. It doesn't happen often, but every now and then good deals can still be found on knives like this that fly under the radar. I scored this beauty for a whopping $37.00. This one has Tested Red Jigged Bone which is my favorite modern Case red bone variation (not to be confused with the classic redbone from the early years)
::tu::
Mike
Breeze

Post by Breeze »

JohnR wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:07 pm Picked up this stag Case Classic 53083 whittler, were these also made by Queen? It is a very well made knife.
Beauty ::tu:: ::tu::
Mike
Breeze

Post by Breeze »

QTCut5 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:08 am Synthetic handles aren't as nice as natural handle materials IMO, but they have much less potential for variation--other than the distinct swirl pattern in the Kirinite, I suppose.

Here are my latest two Case Mini Trapper acquisitions:
2022 (hot off the press) 4207W Smooth White Synthetic with Pewter Shield
2021 10207 Aqua Kirinite with Sparxx Shield.

P9240003.JPGP9240034.JPGP9240030.JPGP9240021.JPGP9240023.JPG
Nice ::tu::
Mike
Desert Golfer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Desert Golfer »

Picked up this Case Tested Folding Hunter yesterday at an Arizona Gun Show. Can't see the word "Tested" because of the bolster, but I assume it's there. Greenbone Scales, Good snap, No wobble. A Good one? Mike
Attachments
IMG_3781.JPG
IMG_3782.JPG
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Desert Golfer wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:50 pm Greenbone Scales, Good snap, No wobble. A Good one?
I certainly think so ::tu::. Love that gorgeous Greenbone; ain't nothin' like it. 8) Great score! ::nod::
~Q~

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”