what is the rarest case knife you have??

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
wornoutwrench

Re: what is the rarest case knife you have??

Post by wornoutwrench »

Here's the other side
Attachments
IMG_8702.JPG
Experience keeps a dear school but fools will learn in no other.

Not all who disagree with wise men are fools.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Lovely. ::nod::
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Thanks for the pile side picture. I’m still thinking it’s stag. ::tu:: And still impressed!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I agree, looks like pocket worn stag.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
wornoutwrench

Post by wornoutwrench »

What do you see that differentiates Winterbottom from stag like this?

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

wornoutwrench wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:12 am What do you see that differentiates Winterbottom from stag like this?
Winterbottom usually has some jigging marks in the bottom and/or along the sides of the grooves, where the jigging machinery cut the grooves. The grooves are typically not smooth like stag (unless it’s second cut stag which also has grooves cut in it). You can search here on AAPK for Winterbottom and see examples for comparison. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

jlw257

Post by jlw257 »

Winterbottom 6488 I use to own
Attachments
A7F82144-8EA0-467F-AF5C-42C4AD1C362B.jpeg
Larry W

Happiness is looking for XX Case Red Stag Knives
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

jlw257 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:44 pm Winterbottom 6488 I use to own
Nice knife Larry, wish you still owned it. Actually I believe the other one looks Winterbottom to me. A lot of time Winterbottom sometimes gets worn through the years and loses most of the worm groove. Be easier to tell for sure if it was in hand of course.

Tom
XxTestedxX

Post by XxTestedxX »

olderdogs1 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:02 pm
jlw257 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:44 pm Winterbottom 6488 I use to own
Nice knife Larry, wish you still owned it. Actually I believe the other one looks Winterbottom to me. A lot of time Winterbottom sometimes gets worn through the years and loses most of the worm groove. Be easier to tell for sure if it was in hand of course.

Tom
I agree.. the knife in question looks like worn winterbottom to me
wornoutwrench

Post by wornoutwrench »

Thank you all for your opinions. :)

Steamboat Willie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Steamboat Willie »

I’m not what you would call a serious collector. Most of the knives in my Case pile I bought new because I use them. I saw this clasp knife on eBay one day though and couldn’t help myself. I don’t know how rare these actually are, but it’s the rarest one I personally own!
Attachments
C49294CC-5B30-413C-80B5-41CB0FDCAE56.jpeg
06A502EC-03D5-4C96-BC64-7BE07ACBC049.jpeg
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

👍😎👍
John 🤠
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Stone2678

Post by Stone2678 »

Has anyone ever seen another like this ? Had for a while but never have been able to find a similar one. Would like to know how rare it actually is.
Attachments
62DAB384-239E-4182-A4A7-8BC689B72ACA.jpeg
735B13DC-424E-46D6-8252-6397404E06BF.jpeg
espn77

Post by espn77 »

A Remington totem pole. Possibly my rarest in this condition.
Attachments
20211115_113022.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Stone2678 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:29 pm Has anyone ever seen another like this ? Had for a while but never have been able to find a similar one. Would like to know how rare it actually is.
Welcome to AAPK. It’s a beautiful knife but I couldn’t begin to tell you how “rare” it is. During the past 30 years or so Case has become a mass producer of “collectables”. 1 of 500, 1 of 250, 1 of 100, etc, sometimes even 1 of 1. There are so many different variations of them that it’s virtually impossible for anyone to keep up with them. Which ironically makes them not so rare at all. ::dang:: JMO

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

espn77

Post by espn77 »

espn77 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:43 pm A Remington totem pole. Possibly my rarest in this condition.
Sorry, didn't realize this was in the case forum ::facepalm::
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Honestly, I wouldn't know if a knife was rare or not unless it was documented somewhere or one of you guys told me.... ::shrug::
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

dlr110 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:26 pm Honestly, I wouldn't know if a knife was rare or not unless it was documented somewhere or one of you guys told me.... ::shrug::
This is kind of an interesting thread in that the question posed in the thread title is subjective. In one sense, if you only have one Case knife, it could be said that it’s the “rarest Case knife you have”, even though it might be a very common and popular pattern! :lol: I doubt that was the intent of the OP though.

“Rare” can be interpreted many ways, in different contexts. I typically think of it as an old survivor knife, probably from the Tested XX era or even older, and probably one that wasn’t a big seller at the time it was made. In other words there were probably not a lot of them made to begin with, and not many survived in a time when pocket knives were purchased to be used, not collected, and disposed of when no longer deemed useful. Therefore there are not many survivors still around today.

But to some collectors “rare” could mean a knife that was made last week - there were only a limited number like it made. It might be a very common pattern like a 54 pattern Trapper, but it has some unique handle material, unique scroll work on the bolsters, unique blade etch, or a combination of those or other embellishments. Made with the purpose of it being “rare” and collectable to someone.

So “rare” is in the mind of the collector, and examples of both types can be found in the posts in this thread. JMO!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

knifeaddict1965
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaddict1965 »

-
This may be my rarest.

I bought a collection of old Case knives several years ago and always thought this red stag 75 was not authentic due to the short long pull I had never seen before. I posted it on the site several months ago to see if there was any chance it was legitimate and got some positive feedback from some of the experts saying that it may very well be authentic as the stamp looks good and Case did have this modified long pull on some of their Tested era knives.

As of today, this is only the second 75 pattern I have seen with the shorter long pull and hopefully I can get it to a knife show one day soon and get a definite verification of it's authenticity.

If it is authentic, I would think it is pretty rare. If anyone has this version with the shorter long pull, I would love to see pictures of it.

20210424_201040.jpg
20210424_201024.jpg
20210424_201121.jpg
20210424_213348.jpg
Kevin
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:17 pm
dlr110 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:26 pm Honestly, I wouldn't know if a knife was rare or not unless it was documented somewhere or one of you guys told me.... ::shrug::
This is kind of an interesting thread in that the question posed in the thread title is subjective. In one sense, if you only have one Case knife, it could be said that it’s the “rarest Case knife you have”, even though it might be a very common and popular pattern! :lol: I doubt that was the intent of the OP though.

“Rare” can be interpreted many ways, in different contexts. I typically think of it as an old survivor knife, probably from the Tested XX era or even older, and probably one that wasn’t a big seller at the time it was made. In other words there were probably not a lot of them made to begin with, and not many survived in a time when pocket knives were purchased to be used, not collected, and disposed of when no longer deemed useful. Therefore there are not many survivors still around today.

But to some collectors “rare” could mean a knife that was made last week - there were only a limited number like it made. It might be a very common pattern like a 54 pattern Trapper, but it has some unique handle material, unique scroll work on the bolsters, unique blade etch, or a combination of those or other embellishments. Made with the purpose of it being “rare” and collectable to someone.

So “rare” is in the mind of the collector, and examples of both types can be found in the posts in this thread. JMO!

Ken
\
Thank you Ken. I don't intentionally look for "rare" knives or anything else and I do value your opinion on a lot of things about knives.... ::handshake::
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

knifeaddict1965 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:07 am -
This may be my rarest.

I bought a collection of old Case knives several years ago and always thought this red stag 75 was not authentic due to the short long pull I had never seen before. I posted it on the site several months ago to see if there was any chance it was legitimate and got some positive feedback from some of the experts saying that it may very well be authentic as the stamp looks good and Case did have this modified long pull on some of their Tested era knives.

As of today, this is only the second 75 pattern I have seen with the shorter long pull and hopefully I can get it to a knife show one day soon and get a definite verification of it's authenticity.

If it is authentic, I would think it is pretty rare. If anyone has this version with the shorter long pull, I would love to see pictures of it.

20210424_201040.jpg

20210424_201024.jpg

20210424_201121.jpg

20210424_213348.jpg
::tu:: 8) ::tu::
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
petekuhn

Post by petekuhn »

I had this in Oct. Its gone but was real nice
Attachments
IMG_1935.JPG
IMG_1936.JPG
IMG_1939.JPG
IMG_1940.JPG
IMG_1931.JPG
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

petekuhn wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:54 pm I had this in Oct. Its gone but was real nice
Real nice, indeed! ::tu:: ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

celluloidheros

Post by celluloidheros »

7250 case bros little valley

Has anyone seen another Case Bros sunfish with Tortoise handles that has not been rehandled ?
Attachments
front  7250 cb lv ny.jpg
main tang stamp 7250 cb lv ny.jpg
pen tang stamp 7250 cb lv ny.jpg
rear  7250 cb lv ny.jpg
Thanks, DC
celluloidheros

Post by celluloidheros »

Case Bros LV Canoe Jack
Attachments
Case Bros LV Canoe BFront Tested xx.jpg
Case Bros LV Canoe Stamp.jpg
Tang Reverse Tested XX001.jpg
Case Bros LV Canoe Back Tested xx.jpg
Thanks, DC

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”