what is the rarest case knife you have??

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
chevycannontexasjack

what is the rarest case knife you have??

Post by chevycannontexasjack »

My 06267, don't know if it's a pen or half whittler?? I showed it to my friend that goes to the gun/knife shows and has a lot of knowledge of case, he said that 1920 to 1940 didn't have many open C's on the shields but there were some! lets see some of your rare items!!
Attachments
14214179630621375333479.jpg
Older knives are like women, they are beautiful, pricey, and rarely do you find the good ones!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: what is the rarest case knife you have??

Post by jerryd6818 »

I don't know diddly about Case knives but I do know a fine knife when I see one and that one right there is a beauty.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
chevycannontexasjack

Thanks jerry
Older knives are like women, they are beautiful, pricey, and rarely do you find the good ones!
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Well.. I have a pile of CASE knives but I don't believe any of them are rare.. Do have some with special meanings.. So that makes them rare to me.. ::tu:: John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
robinetn

Post by robinetn »

chevycannontexasjack wrote:My 06267, don't know if it's a pen or half whittler?? I showed it to my friend that goes to the gun/knife shows and has a lot of knowledge of case, he said that 1920 to 1940 didn't have many open C's on the shields but there were some! lets see some of your rare items!!
I don't believe that your knife has the typical "open C". If you look at it closely , you will probably see angle points in the curvature of the C . This would denote that this knife is earlier than the "closed C" .
Bob
robinetn

Post by robinetn »

robinetn wrote:
chevycannontexasjack wrote:My 06267, don't know if it's a pen or half whittler?? I showed it to my friend that goes to the gun/knife shows and has a lot of knowledge of case, he said that 1920 to 1940 didn't have many open C's on the shields but there were some! lets see some of your rare items!!
I don't believe that your knife has the typical "open C". If you look at it closely , you will probably see angle points in the curvature of the C . This would denote that this knife is earlier than the "closed C" .
Bob
PS I finally got my pad to enlarge your pic and I can see that it is one of the latest "tested" shields .
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

chevycannontexasjack wrote:My 06267, don't know if it's a pen or half whittler??
Really nice Tested 06267 and rare indeed! ::nod:: Although it has the balloon/swell-center shaped frame, from everything I have seen Case referred to the 67 pattern as a pen, not a whittler.
Per your request below are a few rare Cases I have including my 06267 from the XX era. Not sure which is rarest, just know they're all pretty scarce, and coincidentally all swell-center patterns (well, maybe not a coincidence since it's one of my favorites).

Ken
Attachments
Case XX 06267, mark side
Case XX 06267, mark side
Case Bros Little Valley pearl swell center pen, pile side
Case Bros Little Valley pearl swell center pen, pile side
Case Tested 9383 SAB, mark side
Case Tested 9383 SAB, mark side
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Hey Ken, check this out. Almost the same identical lineup. The Little Valley Swell center goes to the wife. She asked what my most prized knife was and pulled that one out. It takes a bit to characterize a knife as rare for me. Thses would fit into the "slighty to relatively scarce" category for me.

Jerry
Attachments
CASE XX 06267_mark open.jpg
CASE XX 06267_pile open.jpg
CASE BROS LV 82058_ mark side open.jpg
CASE BROS LV 82058_ pile side open.jpg
CASE XX 9383SAB mark side.jpg
CASE XX 9383SAB pile side.jpg
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

These I would consider relatively scarce. I own 6 of 1000 made. Gave one to my son. 5 are shown, 1 knife is in both pics. The top knife in the group pic (same as the solo at the bottom) I would consider rare as it is either a proto or a factory error. The knife has no serial number, never seen another like it.
Attachments
1977 5111-half L Blue Scroll Engraved_ all examples so far_mark side.jpg
1977 5111-half L Blue Scroll Engraved_ all examples so far_pile side.jpg
1977 5111-half L Blue Scroll Engraved_mark side SN 028 and 682.jpg
1977 5111-half L Blue Scroll Engraved_pile side SN 028 and 682.jpg
CASE 77' 5111-half LSSP Blue Scroll Engraved_no serial number_mark side.jpg
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
gino

Post by gino »

Dang, awesome as usual Jerry! ::drool::
-( life is too short to carry a cheap knife )-
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Thanks Gino my friend. Hope life finds you and yours well!

This one I would definitely consider rare. Personally have only seen 2 others and this one is near mint besides a small pin crack.

Where are you Larry, Bill, Tom and everyone else?
Attachments
CASE TESTED 6001 Rogers Bone Trifold_ mark side closed.jpg
CASE TESTED 6001 Rogers Bone Trifold_ unfolded.jpg
CASE TESTED 6001 Rogers Bone Trifold_ mark side open.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

:lol: Jerry ol' buddy! I thought this thread might flush you out and get you to post some of your beauties. I almost posted a pic of that Case congress whittler I got from you in the Wounded Warrior auction. It's a rare one too. Still can't thank you enough! ::tu:: ::nod:: Here it is, your picture of it too (hope you don't mind).

Ken
Attachments
image.jpg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
jlw257

Post by jlw257 »

Great bunch of Rare Knives so far. Here are some of mine.
Tested XX 6347 J PU LP
Tested XX 5391
Tested XX 6254 Winterbottom
Larry
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Larry W

Happiness is looking for XX Case Red Stag Knives
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Mumbleypeg wrote::lol: Jerry ol' buddy! I thought this thread might flush you out and get you to post some of your beauties. I almost posted a pic of that Case congress whittler I got from you in the Wounded Warrior auction. It's a rare one too. Still can't thank you enough! ::tu:: ::nod:: Here it is, your picture of it too (hope you don't mind).

Ken
Ken, it is your knife my friend and I don't mind at all. One of my better pictures. I really loved that knife but I love our Warriors more. Sir, it is you I can't thank enough for your more than generous bid. Thanks again my friend. Glad you ended up with it.

Larry, as always, some real fine beauties there!

Regards, Jerry
jlw257

Post by jlw257 »

Thanks Jerry, here some more Rare Ones
Tested XX 6247 J LP Rough Black
Tested XX 5254 Red Stag
Tested XX 6254 Rogers Bone
Tested XX 6254 Green Bone
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Larry W

olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

Great knives guys. I will post a rare one.

W R Case & Son Red Winterbottom 6235 1903-05.

Tom
Attachments
001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
jlw257

Post by jlw257 »

Wow Tom I like the Red Winterbottom
Larry W

zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Nice one Tom!
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Maybe not the rarest, but I have personally not seen another like it with this handle material. Full blades. In good shape for it's age and not a common CASE'S over BRADFORD,PA stamp. Circa 1914' to 1920' based on the stamp used.

CASE'S BRADFORD, PA GS223 with Fluted and Coffin Bolster. I think I recall Tom ahs a bone example if I am not losing my memory.

Jerry
Attachments
CASE'S BRADFORD GS223 front blades closed.jpg
CASE'S BRADFORD GS223 front blades open stamps.jpg
CASE'S BRADFORD GS223 Back blades open stamps.jpg
CASE'S BRADFORD GS223 backspring view.jpg
jlw257

Post by jlw257 »

Jerry that is Awesome,
here are some Second Cut Cases
Tested XX 6375 LP
Tested XX 5375 LP
Case XX 5375 LP
Tested XX 5254
Case XX 5254
Case XX USA 5254 w/ Muskrat
Case XX USA 6254 w/ Muskrat
Thanks for looking
Attachments
image.jpg
Larry W

olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

Jerry, I love the coffin bolster knives, as well as a lot of the knives in the Case Bradford era. Larry, Those 2nd cut stag knives are really hard to come by.

I will post one you don't see everyday. A 53131 Tested canoe. I like the center shield.

Tom
Attachments
023.JPG
024.JPG
jlw257

Post by jlw257 »

Tom, I really like that knife ::groove::
Larry
Larry W

zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Real nice Larry and Tom!

Regards, Jerry
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

This knife qualifies as RARE certainly. I has been used up but I still like it. It is the only one I have ever found. A 6345SAB Green Bone Cattle Knife Whittler. I sure would like to know everywhere this one has been.

Thanks for looking.

Tom
Attachments
025.JPG
chevycannontexasjack

These are all beautiful knives!

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”