Ode To The 07

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Ode To The 07

Post by QTCut5 »

Snapped up another diamond shield 07W to add to my pile. This one's dressed for royalty in Smooth Ultra Violet Bone. As is so often the case, it looks much better in person than it does in photos. But, alas, photos are all I have to offer. The pleasure of first-hand viewing shall remain exclusively mine alone...Sorry! (not really though ::sotb:: )
2009 Case 6207W Smooth Ultra Violet Bone
2009 Case 6207W Smooth Ultra Violet Bone
PB050004.JPG
~Q~
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

I read the whole thread and I have to say a couple of you really do love Mini Trappers! I have three _207s and one red 6207W but I was mostly hopping to learn more about Mini Ts that have more than two blades. I have _307 and _507 Mini Ts but have never seen a _407. All the _307s I've seen have the standard clip and spey with an additional Wharncliff. The two _507s I own have three blades in common, a master clip, the standard spey and a large for the frame sheep's foot. _507s have been made with three different selections for 4th and 5th blades. A small clip and copping blade is most common. A second long Turkish clip and a Wharncliff is my favorite. I saw a 5507 with a third selection of 4th and 5th blades but I forget what they were.

Regarding the discussion of white v. natural bone, I own a W61050 with bone that is conspicuously dyed white. The research section writes G6 sometimes means green bone and I own green bone Cases that have that tang stamp prefix. I'd like to know if W6 also has also been used to identify dye color. The thang on my W61050 is also stamped Winston Cup so the W might come from Winston. Oddly the knife has no other marks on it that relate to car racing. It has no blade etchings or other decorations, only the non-standard tang stamps.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

MSJ, I'm a novice when it comes to the Mini-Trappers. I just like 'em and buy what I like so................ I kind of faintly recall seeing a Mini-T with three blades but it was really expensive and the other two you mentioned are strangers to me. I would like to have one of each in the barn though. Can you please post pictures.

Scheduled for tomorrow, these came today. ::ds:: Unfortunately I've blown my wad for November so no more for three and a half more weeks. ::facepalm::
Attachments
Case 2019 Mini-Trapper 6207W SS Smooth Natural Bone Bomb Shield - Labeled.JPG
Case 2019 Mini-Trapper 6207 SS Autumn Bone Deep Canyon Jig - Labeled.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Although I do collect Mini Trappers (Case pattern 07 and Queen/S&M patterns 51 & 9155), I am by no means an expert in any sense of the word. But, I have spent an inordinate amount of time looking at many different brands and models during my past 5 or 6 years collecting Mini Trappers and I have never seen (or heard of) a four blade Case version (_407). I am only aware of _107, _207, _307 and _507 models. If such a version exists (and I would be surprised if it did), it is a very rare beast indeed. ::skeptic::

As for the five-blade (_507) version, this is the blade selection:
Case 6507 Five-Blade Mini Trapper.jpg
Notice there are two clip blades but no Wharncliffe ::disgust::
~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Saw a three blade on eBay today. They just don't trip my trigger and especially for the price that's being asked.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

One of the reasons I am attracted to Mini Trappers is the size. My favorite model is the single-blade Wharncliffe 107W. For the two-blade version, I prefer a Wharncliffe instead of a spey as the secondary blade (207W). Awhile back I got a 6307W because I was curious to see if I would like the extra width. I didn't...too wide. So, just last month I sold it on eBay. Only got $40 for it (I always sell auction style, no reserve)...apparently it's not a particularly popular model. I have absolutely zero interest in a five-blade 507 model; however, they do tend to sell for quite a premium...often over $100...even when sold at auction. As far as I'm concerned, the extra width of the 307 and 507 totally changes what I consider to be the ideal Mini Trapper size.

Here's the one I sold:
http://www.watchcount.com/completed.php ... &bxp=#serp
~Q~
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

The shape of the _307 and especially the _507 is reminiscent of many layered Swiss Army Knives (SAK). I agree they are fat for a pocket knife that lays in the bottom of front pants pockets. However, since my M5507 SS already had wear and tear when I bought it I carried it for quite a while. Some times I used a SAK pouch but more often pocket carried it. In like new condition with stag they are expensive but if you liked them you could have fit one in your budget by buying less knives. So far my 6307 remains a collector item. If I'd seen yours at auction the bid would have gone higher. They would pocket carry the same as the very common Victorinox Camper SAK.

As I wrote above the green 6507 that you posted a picture of has the most common five blades for _507 knives. My M5507 SS has the same blades. (The M is for Midnight Stag, Case's name for stag darkened with black dye.) _507 knives were made with at least two other combinations of blades which I tried to describe above. One version of the _507 includes a Wharncliff blade. If the _407 was ever made they are scarce but so is a 4 blade Case Peanut, a 6420. I own a red 6420 SS which I've never read a word about online so some _407 knives might be out there in Mini Trapper land.

Some like 'em thin. Some like more blades. I collect knives with different combinations of blades rather than different side covers.

By the way, If anyone wants to experiment and see if they enjoy having a _507 in their parka pocket, car console or where ever, SMKW had Rough Ryder equivalents in their catalog a few years ago for about $15.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Filled the folder I was working on. I wasn't buying knives just to fill the folder. I was buying the ones I like and filling the folder was a result of that. I now have just about as many Mini-Trappers (including the ones made in the Far East) as I do Camillus 72's and clones but I have to say, as much as I like the Mini-Trappers (and I like 'em a lot), the 72 family is still nearest and dearest to my heart.
Attachments
Case 07 2nd Folder (11-9-19).JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

42...the answer to 'Life, The Universe, and Everything'...That is a beautiful sight to behold, jerryd. Sweet eye candy, indeed. ::woot:: ::tu:: ::nod:: If I didn't know better I might think you have a touch of OCD Mini Trapper Monkey in your DNA as well. (Although the apparently random color arrangement of your knives indicates a less virulent genetic strain than that from which certain other Mini T collectors--who shall remain nameless-- suffer.)

Here's the latest addition to my Mini T stockpile:
2008 Case 6207W Smooth Red Bone
2008 Case 6207W Smooth Red Bone
PB090015.JPG
~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

QTCut5 wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:18 pm If I didn't know better I might think you have a touch of OCD Mini Trapper Monkey in your DNA as well.
It's there ~Q~. You just have to know how to pick it out. If you look closely, you will note that the top row (except for the two on the far left) are all 07W's and if you know what you're looking for, all the cap lifter 07's are all together.

Now the wall hanger display has a little rhyme and reason to it but even I don't recall what it was when I placed them. Red, White & Blue in the top left corner and the Carhartt's all together are the only ones I can remember.

Oh, and BTW, I really like that red 07W. As you know, I'm rather partial to Wharncliffe and the diamond shield also trips my trigger along with the smooth red handles. ::tu::
Attachments
Case Mini-Trappers.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Thank you for posting your wall display. Although I've learned to accept and live with OCD, the increasingly frequent moments of CRS really drive me bonkers. As I was examining the knives in your folding case, I kept thinking, "I could've sworn jerryd had more 07s than this." I even started to make a mental list of the ones I was pretty sure you had that weren't pictured (I remembered about a dozen). Seeing them in your display put the Monkey's mind at ease knowing he hasn't totally lost all his marbles just yet. :lol:
~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

There's another handful that came in tins or clam-paks but obviously I didn't drag those out.

I ran on to another one this evening that I've been looking at for quite some time and between thinking the price wasn't all that bad and being a little nuttsie squirrely I some how justified it in my brain cage so it's on the way. I've gone back and forth on one of these a bunch of times. One time I'll see it and think "well that's not too bad" and the next time I see it I'll think "Jesus Pete, that's homelyer'n an old maid sow". Again, the Wharncliffe blade got me.
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

WOW!!! Q and jerry.. Yinz have some sweet MTs and and are really rolling along.. All fine pick-ups for sure!!! ::tu::
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Thanks John. You're too kind.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:25 am One time I'll see it and think "well that's not too bad" and the next time I see it I'll think "Jesus Pete, that's homelyer'n an old maid sow". Again, the Wharncliffe blade got me.
Yeah, a Wharnie'll do that. ::nod::

Mini T Monkey loves the Natural Bone Color Wash 07W...he considers it the poor man's Mammoth Bark! ::uc::
P5150011.JPG
~Q~
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

some great looking mini-T's over here lately - nicely done Q & Jerry !
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Lansky1 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:28 pm some great looking mini-T's over here lately - nicely done Q & Jerry !
Aint that the truth!!! ::tu:: ::nod:: ::tu::

Ropeman

Post by Ropeman »

I just found this post so I'll put up a picture of a Mini Trapper as well. I think the 2 blade is the best size and feel of the MTs.
Attachments
IV207 Mini Trapper
IV207 Mini Trapper
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Ropeman wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:48 pm I just found this post so I'll put up a picture of a Mini Trapper as well. I think the 2 blade is the best size and feel of the MTs.
Schweeettt!!! ::tu::

QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

WOW, Ropeman, you really know how to make an entrance, jumping right in with an E. Ivory 07...Niiiice!!

::welcome:: to the 07 party.

The IV207 has my all-time, number one favorite Mini T handle material. Of course, with the federal restrictions on the sale/purchase of ivory, this model is pretty scarce nowadays. I managed to snag these three awhile back, before the ivory gestapo started cracking down. They now reside safely in my permanent collection.
Mastadon Ivory, Elephant Ivory & E. Ivory w/ Scrimshaw
Mastadon Ivory, Elephant Ivory & E. Ivory w/ Scrimshaw
~Q~
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Triple Schweeettt Q !!! WOW!! ::tu:: :shock: ::tu::

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Q, you should hang on to those. Wonderful. ::nod::
Ropeman

Post by Ropeman »

QTCut5 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:17 am WOW, Ropeman, you really know how to make an entrance, jumping right in with an E. Ivory 07...Niiiice!!

::welcome:: to the 07 party.
Thanks Q! You have some very nice looking ivory as well! ::tu::
It's not exactly "my" knife, but maybe one day soon it will be. Please explain what the E. Ivory is (in PM if you choose)
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

No, ~Q~. Please 'splain it in open forum because I don't know what the E stands for either.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Thanks John, Floyd & Ropeman.
Ropeman wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:01 pm Please explain what the E. Ivory is
jerryd6818 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:30 pm No, ~Q~. Please 'splain it in open forum because I don't know what the E stands for either.
"E. Ivory" = Elephant Ivory
~Q~

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”