Ode To The 07

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Ode To The 07

Post by Papa Bones »

TripleF wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:27 pm
Still have no clue/.
I've been told that a couple of times in my lifetime Scott! ::woot::
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

It was previously suggested in this thread that if a 5207W existed I probably would be willing to trade my house and/or truck for it. Since no one has ever located a 5207W to make the trade (much to my wife's relief), The Monkey was forced to take matters into his own hands/paws and create a 5207W himself. OK, technically he placed the matter into the eminently more capable hands of Glennbad to modify a couple of 6207Ws. (Unfortunately, even Glenn, the magnificent modder extraordinaire, couldn't alter the pattern tang stamp. So, The Monkey considers the "6" to be a minor "factory error"---one that he can live with).

BEHOLD! The only Stag handled 207W Wharncliffe Mini Trappers known to exist in the entire universe ::ds::

Honey Amber Stag 207W
Honey Amber Stag 207W
P8050018.JPG
P8050013.JPG
P8050019.JPG
Antique Stag SELECT 207W
Antique Stag SELECT 207W
P8050027.JPG
P8050023.JPG
P8050028.JPG

Another Mini-T milestone completed. Now I can't help but wonder if the addition of these two (5)207Ws to my collection will finally release me from Mini-T Monkey's OCD stranglehold and get him off my back once and for all. ::groove::
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

QTCut5 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:30 am
Another Mini-T milestone completed. Now I can't help but wonder if the addition of these two (5)207Ws to my collection will finally release me from Mini-T Monkey's OCD stranglehold and get him off my back once and for all. ::groove::
Whoa.....beautiful job. All of those are Stagalicious. But as for Mini-T Monkey, I am afraid his OCD has no bounds.

Smitty
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

QTCut5 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:58 am
True to his OCD nature, the Monkey, having become preternaturally fixated on Appaloosa Bone during my fruitless search for the elusive Peacock, nevertheless managed to snag this Purple Appaloosa Bone 6207, effectively doubling the size of my nascent 07 Appaloosa Bone pile.

P8040052.JPGP8040053.JPGP8040054.JPG
Monkey is like a bulldog on a bone when he gets inspired - super nice one there Q ::oh_my::
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

QTCut5 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:30 am It was previously suggested in this thread that if a 5207W existed I probably would be willing to trade my house and/or truck for it. Since no one has ever located a 5207W to make the trade (much to my wife's relief), The Monkey was forced to take matters into his own hands/paws and create a 5207W himself. OK, technically he placed the matter into the eminently more capable hands of Glennbad to modify a couple of 6207Ws. (Unfortunately, even Glenn, the magnificent modder extraordinaire, couldn't alter the pattern tang stamp. So, The Monkey considers the "6" to be a minor "factory error"---one that he can live with).

BEHOLD! The only Stag handled 207W Wharncliffe Mini Trappers known to exist in the entire universe ::ds::

P8050012.JPGP8050018.JPGP8050013.JPGP8050019.JPGP8050022.JPGP8050027.JPGP8050023.JPGP8050028.JPG

jaw dropping - the stag Glennbad uses is always so much better than factory offerings - it does the gnarly stag thing better than anything short of a full out custom maker knife.
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

Darn. Now I won't get both Q's house and his truck when I find that 5207W at a garage sale for $4. Maybe I'd still get the truck? :wink:

The stag on both your (6 to 5)207Ws looks great! A bald head 07 is a little unusual. Off hand I do not recall any others. Did it originally have a left side bolster?

After seeing those two Mini-Ts I'm tempted to look my knives over for one to rehandle with stag. The least expensive Case to start with would be one with their common yellow Delrin. Do 3207Ws exist?
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Modern Slip Joints wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:56 pm Darn. Now I won't get both Q's house and truck when I find that 5027W at a garage sale for $4. Maybe I'd still get the truck? :wink:
My truck is a '97 Mazda B4000 with 130,000 mi and more dog hair inside than carpet...so, yeah, I would consider swapping it for a mint factory original 5207W (as long as it has gnarly stag and not the hyper-hafted stag with little to no surface bark that all too often Case seems use). As much as I would like that, I'm pretty sure I won't be swapping my truck any time soon.

Modern Slip Joints wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:56 pm The stag on both your (6 to 5)07Ws looks great! A bald head 07 is a little unusual. Off hand I do not recall any others. Did it originally have a left side bolster?
Yes, here's the original: 2019 Smooth Natural Bone 6207W

P1010006.JPG

As far as I know, the only barehead Mini Trapper Case ever released was a 1997 (same year as my truck ::hmm:: ) Collector Club Jr. Member 61007. I can't say for certain, but I suspect the extra "0" in the pattern number is to distinguish it from a normal 07 with top & bottom bolsters. (So, yes...I suppose technically that's another "factory error" on my Honey Amber Stag (5)20(0)7W that The Monkey will just have to live with!)

PB010001.JPG

And, speaking of pattern number tang stamp factory errors...Notice that one of these 61007s doesn't even have a pattern number stamp. ::cb::

PB010011.JPG
PB010009.JPG
Modern Slip Joints wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:56 pm Do 3207Ws exist?
Not to my knowledge. But, there is a 3107W (which is available in either SS or CV)

~Q~
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

QTCut5 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:20 pm [...]
Modern Slip Joints wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:56 pm Do 3207Ws exist?
Not to my knowledge. But, there is a 3107W (which is available in either SS or CV)
If they were currently at dealers that would make a 3107W SS the starting knife that looks most to your liking.

I doubt that the extra 0 in the Junior CCC Mini-Ts meant bald head because earlier they made longer 62007 CCC knives that we've discussed before. My guess is that in the case of the two Mini-Ts you just posted the extra 0 was supposed to be reminiscent of early 20th Century 007s. One blade getting past the stamping press would not be a big surprise. Assembling it in a knife is less likely but once assembled, waste not want not.

By the way, I'm not used to dog odor in a car so I'll have to pass on the garage sale 5207W and save the $4 for J. Edgar Hoover's famous and unaccounted for registered .357 magnum #1.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Modern Slip Joints wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:15 pm One blade getting past the stamping press would not be a big surprise. Assembling it in a knife is less likely but once assembled, waste not want not.
You may also have noticed that one of the 1997 61007s has a two-dot (1998) date stamp. My guess is that a blade that was intended to be put on a 1998 6207 somehow slipped into the pile being used on the 1997 CCC Jr. Member 61007s and that is why it doesn't have the pattern stamp on the pile side of the clip blade (on the 1998 model the pattern stamp would be on the secondary spey blade).

~Q~
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Added this one to my collection of Mini Trappers today. A 1993 Case 6207 SP SSP. Didn't have this year with this tang stamp. I am not sure what the bone color is called, but love the jigging and reddish tones.
93 CASE 6207 1.png
93 Case 6207 2.png

Smitty
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Congrats Smitty. Be careful. They're addicting.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Was hoping to see Jerry with a new birthday -07. :mrgreen:
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Papa Bones wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:05 pm I am not sure what the bone color is called, but love the jigging and reddish tones.
Looks like what they called "Pretty Bone".
A lot of the Pretty Bone 07s I've seen have slightly less-colorful brown bone on the pile side (see my 1984 6207 below). You scored a very nice one with well-matched bone on both mark and pile sides. Nice pick up, Smitty.

P9300028.JPG
P9300031.JPG

~Q~
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

QTCut5 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:22 am Looks like what they called "Pretty Bone".
A lot of the Pretty Bone 07s I've seen have slightly less-colorful brown bone on the pile side (see my 1984 6207 below). You scored a very nice one with well-matched bone on both mark and pile sides. Nice pick up, Smitty.

P9300028.JPGP9300031.JPG
Thanks "Q". I know what you mean about mis-matched handles on some Case knives. I have a few other patterns where the sides are not always equal. I guess just depends on how well the person assembling the knife that day wants to match the sides.

Smitty
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

1967redrider wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:35 pm Was hoping to see Jerry with a new birthday -07. :mrgreen:
I have one on the wsy, it's just a logistical issue. Patience grasshopper.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

John, here's that birthday 07. Bought by me, for me. I love me. I'm so good to myself. Received it yesterday but I was too pooped to pop & had to wait until this morning to take pictures. I found a 5207 on eBay and managed to buy it at a fire sale price. I already had one (thanks to ~Q~) but at the price I got it for, I couldn't pass this one up. I'm including a picture of the handles for the benefit of ~Q~. He can be a mite picky ya know. :mrgreen:
Attachments
Case 2006 Mini-Trapper 5207 SS Stag - Labeled.JPG
image000000.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Well Happy Birthday to you, jerryd!! Excellent gift to give yourself on your natal day anniversary. That's some fine looking stag, indeed; The Monkey approves (and like you said, he can be a picky little monkey when it comes to stag handles).

I will admit I had that 5207 watchlisted and it was all I could do to keep The Monkey caged and far away from the "Place Bid" button. I'm glad that you got it so at least it stays in "the family".

~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Well, I'm certainly glad you were able to get a leash on that dad blamed monkey. ::tu::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:53 pm John, here's that birthday 07. Bought by me, for me. I love me. I'm so good to myself. Received it yesterday but I was too pooped to pop & had to wait until this morning to take pictures. I found a 5207 on eBay and managed to buy it at a fire sale price. I already had one (thanks to ~Q~) but at the price I got it for, I couldn't pass this one up. I'm including a picture of the handles for the benefit of ~Q~. He can be a mite picky ya know. :mrgreen:
::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: Me Likey!

Smitty
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Thanks Smitty. Cool your jets. You still can't have it. :lol: :lol: ::poke:: ::tease::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

BTW--although jerryd tends to keep the pile sides his own personal secret hidden from the rest of us 07 addicts & stagaholics, I can confirm that the stag on the pile side of his B-Day Mini-T is pretty nice as well...possibly even nicer than the mark side stag. (Perhaps if I tweak his conscience and twist his rubber arm he'll concede to favor us--and posterity--with a pile side photo?? :-P )

~Q~
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

DSC07715.JPG
DSC07714.JPG
DSC07719.JPG
So I was looking thru my Case Shoe-Box storage.. ::facepalm:: Bottom pic.. I found this MT.. ::nod::
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu::
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

jmh58 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:55 pm So I was looking thru my Case Shoe-Box storage.. ::facepalm:: Bottom pic.. I found this MT.. ::nod::
John :D
Oh John...Wow, that is a beauty! :shock:

Not all who wander are lost, but if you were to wander through that shoe-box storage stash a bit more who knows what other "lost" treasures are just waiting to be found? ::hmm::

~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

John, I love that horseshoe shield.

And Mr. Smarty Pants ~Q~, I have a picture of the pile side for all my knives. It just never occurs to me to post it unless it's really different. At least I took a picture of the thickness of the handles.

Especially for you, here ya go. The thing I find odd is this one has a shield and the one I bought from you does not. ::shrug::
Attachments
Case 2006 Mini-Trapper 5207 SS Stag - Pile Closed.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”