Ode To The 07

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Ode To The 07

Post by Papa Bones »

Froggy Liked this one, so I jumped and added it to my single blade O7 collection. A 2015 Harley Davidson edition 10107 with Micarta Handles and Harley Davidson Shield. It is almost like new in the box. It hasn't been carried, but has been opened from the wrap several times. I haven't done anything to it other than oil the blade. I believe a little polish on the bolsters will freshen them up.
Case_HD_10107a.png
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Well done, Froggy! Nice jump, Smitty. ::tu::

I am fond of the single blade 07s and I've flirted with getting a HD micarta 107 more than once or twice...but never quite managed to bring one home...somehow another knife always caught The Monkey's eye before I could seal the deal...someday it'll happen, though; it's definitely on my list.
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

It's a long story and I thought it would never happen but today I finally received this one. ::ds:: ::ds::
Attachments
Case 2006 Mini-Trapper Black - Labeled.JPG
Case 2006 Mini-Trapper Black - Pattern Stamp.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Long stories never slowed you down in the past Jerry, tell us why this one is so special. It is a great looking knife through my uneducated eyes. Glad for you. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::shrug::
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:52 pm It's a long story and I thought it would never happen but today I finally received this one. ::ds:: ::ds::
doglegg wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:26 pm Long stories never slowed you down in the past Jerry, tell us why this one is so special.
Found jerryd's "long story" in another thread...copied and pasted it here for posterity:
(Thought I'd save jerryd the trouble of having to repeat himself and also because he's too busy writing and mailing out checks!)

Bought this back on August 19th. And then the confusion began. It didn't get shipped so I sent a message to the seller. Seller responded that he had been in an automobile accident and had been in the hospital. Okay. Stuff happens. The next thing I know, the auction was cancelled. Say whaaaa? I applied for and after much going's on, received a refund. Today the knife showed up in my mailbox. I'm pleased but very confused. So I sat down and wrote the seller a check for the knife and shipping. I'll get that in tomorrow's mail. Very confusing but I'm glad to get the knife.

BTW--pattern number tang stamp shows handle material #2 which, according to the AAPK Research Guide to Case Handle Materials, would make it "Slick Black" or "Black Composition" (in other words: black plastic)

~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Thanks ~Q~.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

The Monkey got a wild hair and started working on a Mini-T timeline project (more on that later). In the course of said project, I picked up this most unusual 10 dot (1980) 6207.
P9240017.JPG
P9240011.JPG

This 07 has several curious features such as an indeterminate bone color...
P9240018.JPG

...although the pile side seems slightly reminiscent of Allegheny Mtn. Bone (which always looked more gray than green to me)
P9240014.JPG

But the thing that really threw me for a loop when I got it is the short master blade; or perhaps more precisely: the shortened master blade. Hard to tell if the blade came out of the factory this way or was modified; after all, some crazy collectors have been known to modify brand new Mini Trapper blades and make them look "factory" for no apparent reason other than because they want to.....or so I have heard. (you'll have to ask Lansky1 about that :wink: ).

Here it is beside a standard Mini Trapper master blade on another 1980 6207 from my collection for comparison
P9240020.JPG

Also, notice the differences in the nail nicks, the placement of the blade etch relative to the pull, and the size and spacing of the dots in the tang stamp.
P9240026.JPG
P9240025.JPG
The devil, as they say, is in the details...and it's those details that make collecting so much fun (even though they can also give OCD Monkey hyper conniption fits sometimes!)

~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

~Q~ if you put my feet to the fire, I'd have to guess it came from the factory that way. ::shrug:: How does that blade compare to other 07's from different years?
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:17 am ~Q~ if you put my feet to the fire, I'd have to guess it came from the factory that way. ::shrug::
I tend to agree; the blade has some surface scratches but the edge shows no obvious signs of reprofiling/resharpening and the grind lines appear to line up properly...it looks factory to me.
jerryd6818 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:17 am How does that blade compare to other 07's from different years?
Excellent question, jerryd. The answer will be revealed when The Monkey publishes the results of his Mini-T Timeline Project (MTTP).
Stay tuned. ::suspense::

~Q~
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Meanwhile...
I'm going to go ahead and post this one here even though technically it's not a 07. However, I believe this could accurately be considered Tony Bose's take on the 07. Obviously, the frame is different, but it's the right size (3 9/16" by my reckoning) to fit into the Mini Trapper category.

T.B. 622013 Antique Bone Wharncliffe Trapper
T.B. 622013 Antique Bone Wharncliffe Trapper
P9260008.JPG
P9260010.JPG
P9260011.JPG

~Q~
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Q that is a fabulous looking knife. Congrats. If it's not an 07 maybe it is 007. Has that look. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

After only glancing at the shorter master in Q's 1980 6207 my thought was that an owner shortened it to get rid of a bent or broken tip. If you have not had to do it bending blades back to straight is a bigger P. in the A. then you'd think. The etch being unusually close to the point supports that idea. However, you've got in in hand, not me.

The Case knives I have with T. B. on them were priced only a little higher than more common similar size production knives. My T.B.62110 medium Saddlehorn is a good example. At 3 1/2" long with two long blades pivoting on one end it competes with Mini-Trappers so writing about it here is not wildly out of line. Unfortunately the more recently introduced Case T. B. collaborations are priced higher than I want to spend on a knife. One can always keep their budget in line by buying fewer knives but I'll leave the expensive T.B./Case knives for Q. If you're willing to lay out the money they are good looking knives.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

There are three iterations of the Tony Bose Case knives. There's the authorized, the collaboration and the ones Tony make from scratch. This is a collaboration where Tony gives Case a sample knife to work from. I think it's a slick motor scooter, ~Q~. It's the most I've ever spent on a knife.
Attachments
Case 2013 Mini Trapper TB622013 W 254CM Antique Bone.JPG
DSC09124.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Worth it Jerry. ::tu::
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Modern Slip Joints wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:24 am One can always keep their budget in line by buying fewer knives but I'll leave them for Q. If you're willing to lay out the money they are good looking knives.
Budget?? ::cb:: What is this "Budget" of which you speak? ::shrug:: (There is no such word in The Monkey's lexicon! :? )

And, furthermore, what's all this nonsense talk of "buying fewer knives" ? You sound like my wife! :roll: Are you serious or are you attempting to provoke and incite The Monkey's wrath, dudgeon, fury and indignation on purpose? :evil: In Monkeyspeak that's roughly equivalent to saying "eating fewer bananas"...outrageously absurd and entirely inconceivable! :x Go to your room, no dessert for you!!!

The "collaboration" knives are both good looking AND superbly crafted...much higher quality than the factory produced Tony Bose "authorized" Case line. In fact, I would go so far as to say they are comparable to a handmade custom knife, IMHO.

~Q~
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

I must give credit to MSJ in his determination regarding the factory vs mod of the master clip blade question.

After further research I have concluded that the short master blade on my 1980 Gray-Green Bone 6207 is actually a modification, not a factory job. I've looked at hundreds and possibly thousands of 6207s from every year and this is the only one I have ever seen with a short blade like this one, which leads me to believe it must have been modified. I actually like the shorter clip blade...it's about the same size as the master blade on my Queen #9155s, which, although perhaps not as graceful, seems more sturdy and better suited for whittling or delicate cutting in confined spaces using just the tip. YMMV.

Another thing I discovered that surprised me is the variation in the location of the blade etch. Admittedly, I don't know how or when the etch is applied at the factory; but, for whatever reason, it doesn't necessarily always end up in the exact same place on the blade of every knife; the positions of the blade etches are surprisingly inconsistent: higher, lower, more left or more right. I had just assumed it would be more uniform, but empirical evidence clearly dispels that notion.

~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

The latest addition to the pile. Note it's from the "Work Knives" series. Until now, I didn't even realize there was a "Work Knives" series.
Attachments
Rough Rider RR2171 Mini-Trapper Blue Mule - Labeled.JPG
DSC00856.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:52 pm It's a long story and I thought it would never happen but today I finally received this one. ::ds:: ::ds::
Glad it finally arrived Jerry. ::tu:: ::tu:: I remember you posting about the delay a while back.
jerryd6818 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:39 am The latest addition to the pile. Note it's from the "Work Knives" series. Until now, I didn't even realize there was a "Work Knives" series.
Well now.......that is a (ahem ::super_happy:: ) a mule of a different color. Nice. ::tu::

Smitty
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

QTCut5 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:20 pm Meanwhile...
I'm going to go ahead and post this one here even though technically it's not a 07. However, I believe this could accurately be considered Tony Bose's take on the 07. Obviously, the frame is different, but it's the right size (3 9/16" by my reckoning) to fit into the Mini Trapper category.

P9260009.JPGP9260008.JPGP9260010.JPGP9260011.JPG
Awesome "Q".

Smitty
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

This one came in the mail earlier this week. A 2013 Case 6207 Carhartt in DR Molasse bone. Came in box with papers, and wrap. Glad to add it to my 07 group.
Case 6207 Carhartt_a.png
Case 6207 Carhartt_b.png

Smitty
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Papa Bones wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:19 am This one came in the mail earlier this week. A 2013 Case 6207 Carhartt in DR Molasse bone. Came in box with papers, and wrap. Glad to add it to my 07 group.

Case 6207 Carhartt_a.png
Case 6207 Carhartt_b.png
Nice ,Nice, you got a dandy there Papa B. Them Carhartt 07 s look great . Thanks for posting,stay safe out there.
JP
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Papa Bones wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:19 am This one came in the mail earlier this week. A 2013 Case 6207 Carhartt in DR Molasse bone. Came in box with papers, and wrap. Glad to add it to my 07 group.

Case 6207 Carhartt_a.png
Case 6207 Carhartt_b.png
There are five of those (that I know of). Are you going to get them all or have you already acquired all of them?
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

jerryd6818 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:35 am [

There are five of those (that I know of). Are you going to get them all or have you already acquired all of them?
This is the first '07 I've picked up. The only other Carhartt I have is a '54. But I may try to add them all. I've seen a couple of the 6107 easily accessible.

Smitty
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Papa Bones wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:27 am I've seen a couple of the 6107 easily accessible.
6107W, you say?...I like hearing that because it means you're speakin' my language (Monkeyspeak). :lol:

Smitty, very nice Carhartt...I do love that Barnboard jigging. ::nod::

I think jerryd and I are on the same wavelength...a blue one, that is. ::tu::

Here's what I picked up recently in the "technically-not-07-but-still-a-mini-trapper" category...although even that may be pushing it a bit since without the spay blade this might more appropriately be called a "Dogleg Jack" (official nomenclature resides in the mind of the beholder).

Call it what you will, it's a 3½" 2004 Schatt & Morgan "Dollar Knife Co." (#51) in Sky Blue Jigged Bone
PA070008.JPG
PA070014.JPG
PA070028.JPG
PA070012.JPG
PA070019.JPG

~Q~
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

My humble 07 collection.. Love this pattern..
IMG_1364.JPG

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”