Ode To The 07

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Ode To The 07

Post by doglegg »

Ivoryman wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:34 am Great group Q, wow.

A '65-69 classic red bone
::nod:: ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu::
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Mahalo, Ivoryman. As you well know, I have an insatiable appetite and unquenchable craving for two particular handle materials: ivory (of course) and gnarly stag; no matter how much I have of either, The Monkey will always want more. ::nod::

As much as I love the _107W and _207W Wharncliffe Mini-Ts, the USA era (1965-69) Redbone 6207 will always hold a special place in my Mini-T obsessed heart since it is, after all, my "birth year knife" (1965).

I'll admit, it took me a long time to warm up to the vintage 07s because, much like jerryd, I was too afraid of being duped as a result of my natural (primate) enthusiasm and trusting nature combined with my inexperience and inability to identify the fakes/counterfeits from the genuine articles (and, let's face it, there are some VERY convincing fakes out there). And while I do not and, in all honesty, can not claim to be an expert, after years of study, observation and also some costly/embarrassing trials & errors in the school of hard knocks :oops: , I do feel somewhat more confident in my ability to recognize and identify certain requisite characteristics and distinctions which allows me to make well-informed decisions with regard to (a very narrow segment of) vintage Case 6207s...mostly the XX era and USA era. Tested era knives are still a challenge for me mainly because there are fewer examples available for study and the cost of the ones that are available are generally exorbitant and therefore prohibitive on my paltry budget. (If anyone thinks GECs are expensive, try purchasing nearly any pattern of a pristine Case Tested Era knife...if you can even find one!)
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

QTCut5 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:05 am
Mahalo, Ivoryman. As you well know, I have an insatiable appetite and unquenchable craving for two particular handle materials: ivory (of course) and gnarly stag; no matter how much I have of either, The Monkey will always want more. ::nod::

As much as I love the _107W and _207W Wharncliffe Mini-Ts, the USA era (1965-69) Redbone 6207 will always hold a special place in my Mini-T obsessed heart since it is, after all, my "birth year knife" (1965).

I'll admit, it took me a long time to warm up to the vintage 07s because, much like jerryd, I was too afraid of being duped as a result of my natural (primate) enthusiasm and trusting nature combined with my inexperience and inability to identify the fakes/counterfeits from the genuine articles (and, let's face it, there are some VERY convincing fakes out there). And while I do not and, in all honesty, can not claim to be an expert, after years of study, observation and also some costly/embarrassing trials & errors in the school of hard knocks :oops: , I do feel somewhat more confident in my ability to recognize and identify certain requisite characteristics and distinctions which allows me to make well-informed decisions with regard to (a very narrow segment of) vintage Case 6207s...mostly the XX era and USA era. Tested era knives are still a challenge for me mainly because there are fewer examples available for study and the cost of the ones that are available are generally exorbitant and therefore prohibitive on my paltry budget. (If anyone thinks GECs are expensive, try purchasing nearly any pattern of a pristine Case Tested Era knife...if you can even find one!)

Mahalo back, and agreed. Seems to me like nobody's making it like the old Case red bone. Sixties had some great bone, as did all the eras before the 80's. And right there with you on price. I watch old Case knives and stuff that used to go for under a hundred and in my price range, and now they are going for twice that. I think GEC ignited a fire of new interest, fans, and appreciation, not to mention new collectors of Traditional pocket knives and now there are more people buying up the dwindling supply of old knives not being made anymore. Just like older GECs not being made anymore. They both are all going through the roof. Growing demand for a shrinking supply. Keep yours coming, loving the show to surf through.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Ivoryman wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:34 pm Seems to me like nobody's making it like the old Case red bone. Sixties had some great bone, as did all the eras before the 80's.
Those two statements made me sit up and take notice. Why might that be? I could guess some combination of better quality bone, different make-up of the dyes, or the aging process. Does anything else play a role?

I'll be adding a Trapper soon, pattern 6254...
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Dan In MI wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:05 pm
Ivoryman wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:34 pm Seems to me like nobody's making it like the old Case red bone. Sixties had some great bone, as did all the eras before the 80's.
Those two statements made me sit up and take notice. Why might that be? I could guess some combination of better quality bone, different make-up of the dyes, or the aging process. Does anything else play a role?

I'll be adding a Trapper soon, pattern 6254...
I can't imagine and haven't heard a good answer yet to that one. We know they had the dye recopies and methods of applying it. And why don't they jig bone like they did? I have no idea, but it changed in the late seventies and even their top of the line current Tony Bose knives don't have the red bone like so many Case knives had in the seventies or older. And the jigging nowadays is different and not as good. The scalloped deep and varied, the peach seed, it's not as good. I can look at it all day long, never get tired. The new Case red bone knives bore me in minutes. NOTHING like the old Case colors.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Snagged another 207WHSS 1st Issue plain edge Wharncliffe Mini Trapper. Except for the Blue Bone, this is the only other color I have seen from the set that has a serial number (my other two Yellow 207WHSS do not have a s/n).

1990 Case 207WHSS 1st Issue Yellow Corn Cob Jigged Bone (s/n 016)
P4280015.JPG
P4280017.JPG
P4280020.JPG
P4280018.JPG
P4280016.JPG

~Q~
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Love it Q. Love the blades. ::nod::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Wow! What a find.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

QTCut5 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:53 am Snagged another 207WHSS 1st Issue plain edge Wharncliffe Mini Trapper. Except for the Blue Bone, this is the only other color I have seen from the set that has a serial number (my other two Yellow 207WHSS do not have a s/n).

1990 Case 207WHSS 1st Issue Yellow Corn Cob Jigged Bone (s/n 016)
P4280015.JPGP4280017.JPGP4280020.JPGP4280018.JPGP4280016.JPG
Very nice "Q"!! ::tu:: I've always thought the Corn Cob Jig pattern looked good in yellow! Great find.
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Here's a 2002 6107W custom mod with fancy filework on the back spring, blade spine, liners and inside the blade channel. Not sure what the handle material is...it looks like it could be ivory, but hard to tell for sure, so it's probably some type of faux ivory acrylic ::shrug:: . Instead of a shield it has mosaic pins which give it a "dressy" look, IMHO...perfect for a little Sunday-go-to-meeting knife.

P5080025.JPG
P5080034.JPG
P5080023.JPG
P5080015.JPG
P5080022.JPG
P5080006.JPG

~Q~
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

::drool:: ::drool:: ::woot:: ::drool:: ::drool:: 👍🤩💎👍
John 🎩
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

John/jmh58 inspired my latest 07 pick-up when he showed a similar one from his collection awhile back. Once The Monkey saw John's, I knew I would have no peace until Mini-T Monkey had one grasped firmly in his greedy little monkey paws. Thanks a lot, John...I owe you one, buddy! :lol:

2014 Case 6207 Jigged Chestnut Bone w/Scrolled Bolsters & Horseshoe Shield (s/n 067)
P5180001.JPG
P5180004.JPG
P5180013.JPG
P5180012.JPG
P5180010.JPG
P5180002.JPG

~Q~
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

QTCut5 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:55 pm John/jmh58 inspired my latest 07 pick-up when he showed a similar one from his collection awhile back. Once The Monkey saw John's, I knew I would have no peace until Mini-T Monkey had one grasped firmly in his greedy little monkey paws. Thanks a lot, John...I owe you one, buddy! :lol:

2014 Case 6207 Jigged Chestnut Bone w/Scrolled Bolsters & Horseshoe Shield (s/n 067)
P5180001.JPGP5180004.JPGP5180013.JPGP5180012.JPGP5180010.JPGP5180002.JPG
Nice one "Q"

Smitty
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

QTCut5 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:55 pm John/jmh58 inspired my latest 07 pick-up when he showed a similar one from his collection awhile back. Once The Monkey saw John's, I knew I would have no peace until Mini-T Monkey had one grasped firmly in his greedy little monkey paws. Thanks a lot, John...I owe you one, buddy! :lol:

P5180001.JPGP5180004.JPGP5180013.JPGP5180012.JPGP5180010.JPGP5180002.JPG
Hey.. What are friends for??!! ::facepalm:: ::sotb:: :lol: :lol: Thats a nice one Q but so are all of your others too!!! ::handshake::
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I'm green with envy over that horseshoe shield. That's a beauty ~Q~. Congratulations.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Muchas Gracias, Smitty, John and jerryd. :D :D :D

A bit of 07 trivia: I had previously thought that the Blue 207WHSS (plain edge Wharncliffe) was the only 1st Issue 07 model that was graced with a serial number. Then, I discovered (and bought) a Yellow 207WHSS 1st Issue that has a serial number (see photos above). Recently, on eBay, I discovered this Greenbone 207WHSS that also has a serial number (I didn't buy it because I already have one).

I'm showing it here for the benefit of future 07 collectors and to add to the database of 07 history. ::nod::

(seller's photos, this is not my knife)
Case 207WHSS sn 00.jpg
207WHSS Greenbone Serrated.jpg

~Q~
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Getting harder and harder to find 07s with decent stag it seems...well, maybe not harder to find, just harder to afford since everyone and their cousin seems to want stag and are apparently willing to pay beaucoup bucks for it...and rightly so...I know I am whenever I can find stag I really like...such as is on this Red Stag R5207 Mini-T from 2008.

P6060044.JPG
P6060061.JPG
P6060050.JPG
P6060059.JPG
P6060047.JPG

~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Oh yeah! That right there is a real sweetheart. Ya done good ~Q~.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

QTCut5 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:55 am Getting harder and harder to find 07s with decent stag it seems...well, maybe not harder to find, just harder to afford since everyone and their cousin seems to want stag and are apparently willing to pay beaucoup bucks for it...and rightly so...I know I am whenever I can find stag I really like...such as is on this Red Stag R5207 Mini-T from 2008.

P6060044.JPGP6060061.JPGP6060050.JPGP6060059.JPGP6060047.JPG
She's a Beaut "Q". Very nice. ::tu:: ::tu::

Smitty
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Knice stag on both sides. ::nod::
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Thanks, guys. Appreciate the comments. ::handshake::

For my next number, I present this 2014 Paua Abalone 8207 that I won quite by accident (put in a bid that I thought for sure would get quickly outbid...but, amazingly, it didn't and I ended up winning). Of course, that NEVER happens with a knife I really really want. ::disgust::
I already have an 8207 Abalone Mini-T so The Monkey was just bored and bidding for ships & giggles (hey, sometimes you've got to create your own entertainment however you can!)...and now I have two!
Bad Monkey, no banana for you! :roll: ::tired::

P6090013.JPG
P6090014.JPG
P6090018.JPG
P6090022.JPG
P6090010.JPG

~Q~
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Insane stag Q. Insane Abalone. Wow.
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

QTCut5 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:35 am Thanks, guys. Appreciate the comments. ::handshake::

For my next number, I present this 2014 Paua Abalone 8207 that I won quite by accident (put in a bid that I thought for sure would get quickly outbid...but, amazingly, it didn't and I ended up winning). Of course, that NEVER happens with a knife I really really want. ::disgust::
I already have an 8207 Abalone Mini-T so The Monkey was just bored and bidding for ships & giggles (hey, sometimes you've got to create your own entertainment however you can!)...and now I have two!
Bad Monkey, no banana for you! :roll: ::tired::
::tu:: ::tu:: ::nod:: I think the Monkey already got what he wanted! ::nod::

Smitty
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Group shots of some 07s that are headed to auction next week. Every now and then ya gotta clean out the stable...can't keep 'em all forever. ::mdm::
(None of these are 07Ws, BTW.)
P6270002.JPG
P6270001 (1).JPG

~Q~
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

QTCut5 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:50 am Group shots of some 07s that are headed to auction next week.
Dangit, you might have to take some of my money! What is the one at top left of the second photo?
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”