Ode To The 07

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Ode To The 07

Post by jerryd6818 »

I feel envy creeping in. ::facepalm:: :mrgreen:
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

jerryd6818 wrote:I feel envy creeping in. ::facepalm:: :mrgreen:
Jerry, envy only come in shades of green. It can't even match Q's variety of color. ::mdm:: :mrgreen:
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Speaking of "variety"...

Although there's absolutely nothing wrong with accumulating multiples of certain favorite models, after collecting the same pattern for awhile one naturally begins to seek knives with unique characteristics in order to keep the collection interesting. Variety is, as they say, the spice of life.

Here's an 07 I picked up recently that has slanted bolsters, a minor alteration to the established norm which gives a different aspect to the Case Mini T and is a first for my collection.
2016 Case 6207 SS Burnt Amber Bone
2016 Case 6207 SS Burnt Amber Bone
P8090010.JPG
The blade etch, "Pilot Test Run," suggests that this particular design was a first for Case as well. As this is the first and only Case 07 I've ever seen with slanted bolsters, I wonder if this design ever went into production. Does anyone else have an 07 (or seen them) with slanted bolsters?
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

::nod::
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Those bolsters do set it off Q. ::nod:: ::nod::
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

doglegg wrote:Those bolsters do set it off Q. ::nod:: ::nod::
I agree, Floyd. I think the slanted bolsters complement the curves of the Mini T frame quite well. I wish Case had made (would make) more slant-bolster 07s; I really like the optics of this design.

~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I like that a lot. I want one, he whined.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

Snagged this 107w for dirt cheap off eBay ... was really rough & had a chunk missing on one of the bone sides and the blade tip was rounded over. It was a color I didn't have, so I offered the guy half what he had it advertised for & he accepted ... got it for $20 including shipping. Had to tighten the blade, buff it out & after filling the chip with epoxy, the patch is smooth as silk. Even has really nice snap. I bet this one will get more pocket time than my minty 107w's ...
file-6.jpeg
file1-5.jpeg
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

John, you turned that sows ear into a silk purse. Excellent job on the blade and the patch. ::nod:: ::tu::
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Sow's ear to silk purse, ugly duckling to graceful swan, Phoenix rising from ashes...call it what you will, it's yet another metallurgical metamorphosis from the laboratory of the legendary Dr. Lansky!

Well done, John, nice save. ::nod::

~Q~
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

Thanks guys for the nice words ... its always fun to bring an old broken down one back from the brink ::tu::

John
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Lansky1 wrote:Snagged this 107w for dirt cheap off eBay ... was really rough & had a chunk missing on one of the bone sides and the blade tip was rounded over. It was a color I didn't have, so I offered the guy half what he had it advertised for & he accepted ... got it for $20 including shipping. Had to tighten the blade, buff it out & after filling the chip with epoxy, the patch is smooth as silk. Even has really nice snap. I bet this one will get more pocket time than my minty 107w's ...

file-6.jpeg

file1-5.jpeg
Great save! I've been carrying the Carhartt G-10 version for a little over a year now, and love it.
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

cody6268 wrote:
Lansky1 wrote:Snagged this 107w for dirt cheap off eBay ... was really rough & had a chunk missing on one of the bone sides and the blade tip was rounded over. It was a color I didn't have, so I offered the guy half what he had it advertised for & he accepted ... got it for $20 including shipping. Had to tighten the blade, buff it out & after filling the chip with epoxy, the patch is smooth as silk. Even has really nice snap. I bet this one will get more pocket time than my minty 107w's ...

file-6.jpeg

file1-5.jpeg
Great save! I've been carrying the Carhartt G-10 version for a little over a year now, and love it.
That Carhartt G10 is one of the few 107W's I don't have - gotta keep an eye out for one of those !

John
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

P82A0510.JPG
P82A0959.jpg
P82A0959.jpg (24.28 KiB) Viewed 3139 times
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Lansky1 wrote:
cody6268 wrote:
That Carhartt G10 is one of the few 107W's I don't have - gotta keep an eye out for one of those !
I don't know how you feel about buying off of eBay but here's one. A little steep on the price in my opinion but that's just my opinion.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CASE-CUTLERY-C ... SwtYJdE75V
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

jerryd6818 wrote:
Lansky1 wrote:
cody6268 wrote:
I don't know how you feel about buying off of eBay but here's one. A little steep on the price in my opinion but that's just my opinion.
They were $60 at Magic Mart since they came out with the things in 2014. No one bought a one. Then, they dropped it to $45, again, no one bought a one. Towards the end of the closing sale of the chain last year, I got mine for $27; and it and another were the last Cases they had (would have bought both, but didn't have the money).
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

cody6268 wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote:
Lansky1 wrote: That Carhartt G10 is one of the few 107W's I don't have - gotta keep an eye out for one of those !
They were $60 at Magic Mart since they came out with the things in 2014. No one bought a one. Then, they dropped it to $45, again, no one bought a one. Towards the end of the closing sale of the chain last year, I got mine for $27; and it and another were the last Cases they had (would have bought both, but didn't have the money).
Two years ago, I got mine off eBay for $23 with free shipping. Thought it was a whale of a deal.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

jerryd6818 wrote:
Lansky1 wrote:
cody6268 wrote:
THx Jerry - I'll have to ponder that one ... they don't come up very often, still not a bad deal at $50.

John
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

My advice: if you want it and can afford it, get it while you still can. After you've had it for awhile, ask yourself if you'd rather have the money you paid for it or the knife. if you're like me, the answer is almost always "the knife" because you can always get more money, but there's no guarantee you'll ever have another opportunity to get the same knife. I'm sure I don't have to remind you about the $100 Gray Bone 107W, do I? I still don't regret spending that much for it because I've only ever seen one other one like it for sale (and I bid on that one too, until it got up to $90). At least with the BIN price, you know you won't have to pay some outrageous amount to "win" it. And, if you really want to try to get it for less, you could always send the seller an offer...worst case, he rejects your offer (or flat out ignores you), and you can still buy it for his asking price...nothing ventured, nothing gained, as the saying goes. (In my experience, sending the seller an offer on a fixed price item works best if you are patient and can wait until about two or three days before the listing is set to expire.)

I will always bid on any and every 107W I see up for auction on eBay, even if it's one I already have. Sometimes I get lucky and end up winning it for less than I would have expected. That's how I manage to keep accumulating multiple identical 107Ws.

Like two of these Antique Second Cut Bone 107Ws--which I acquired by placing relatively low GIXEN bids that ended up winning. (Full disclosure: By "relatively low" I mean relatively low by OCD Monkey standards--which may or may not be anyone else's concept of how much is considered relatively low.)
P8160001_1.JPG
Now I have the option of choosing the one I like the most and selling the other two...or...keeping all three (because, as OCD Monkey is fond of saying, "You can never have too many 107Ws").

Sometimes I get lucky and get a bargain. Unfortunately, that was not the case with this Turquoise Bone 6207. Apparently I was not the only Mini T collector who wanted this baby, but I might have been the only Mini T collector who had an OCD Monkey doing the bidding. When OCD Monkey sets his sights on a knife, there's virtually no amount he won't pay to win it. At least this one didn't set me back quite as much as the infamous $100 Gray Bone 107W, but I still had to pay a pretty penny for it.
P8160031.JPG
P8160029.JPG

~Q~
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

As OCD Monkey was preparing to incorporate the new Turquoise Bone 6207 into my Mini T collection, he suddenly realized that he had a previously unknown predilection for diamond-shaped shields.

To wit...
P8160036.JPG
At first, this discovery made him giddy with glee. But, his gleeful little monkey face scrunched up with consternation as it dawned on him that this newly discovered facet would require a complete overhaul of his storage organization system. After all, he can't very well have knives with similar shields scattered throughout the entire collection willy-nilly. Oh no...that just won't do at all. (There's a reason his first name is OCD!)

Looks like I'll be pulling an all-nighter...since there's no possibility of peaceful slumber until this matter is properly sorted out. (And, I just remembered there's yet another diamond-shield 07 still on the way.) ::tired:: ::yawn::

~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

~Q~, you are a piece of work and I mean that with all due respect. I just last night added a Chinese Winchester Mini-T (cheap, cheap, cheap) to my pile of Mini-T's (won't be here until next week). Yes it's a pile because OCD Monkey would end up in a mental institution if he were exposed to my storage method. "Find a spot and stick 'er in."
Attachments
Winchester W 40 14072YB Mini Trapper .jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Very clean looking Winchester, I like it.

An observation regarding yellow synthetic handles:
I find it curious that Case offers yellow synthetic handled 07s in more variations than 07s with any other single type of handle material--four, to be precise. You can get both a 107W and 207 in either SS or CV. I can't help but wonder why that is. ::hmm::

~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

QTCut5 wrote:Very clean looking Winchester, I like it.
We'll see next week when it gets here. The tang (in the seller's picture) says USA but the price screamed "CHINA". He has a bunch of 'em ~Q~.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Winchester-W-4 ... 2749.l2649
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

While we're on the subject of Winchester branded knives...I currently have four, all of which I believe were made in USA by Queen and I have no complaints about their quality.

These two Winchester 2904 1/2 Italian Jig "Big Minis" (3 7/8") both have excellent fit & finish and super snappy snap. Very solid, well-made knives, to be sure. I like the unusual geometry of the spay blade, as well.

The second one was another one of those "accidental multiples" I acquired by putting in a random bid that ended up winning. (If anyone would like to buy one, I'll give you a good deal on it...not quite as good as the deal jerryd got on his yellow synth Mini T, of course, but really good for a USA made Winchester...just drop me a PM.)
P8170008.JPG
P8170004.JPG

~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

As noted in another thread, after more than 24 hours with an "Out For Delivery" status, it finally landed at my front door this afternoon.

Turned it over and as expected, saw this.
DSC00104.JPG
But for less than $12 shipped, it's fine.
Winchester W 40 14072YB Mini Trapper - Labeled.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”