Ode To The 07

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Ode To The 07

Post by jerryd6818 »

Okay. On to bigger and better things. Received this one in yesterday's mail and it's better than anticipated. Stamped Haywood Special on the blade and Hamilton Hardware on the handle, I'm guessing it's from one of those tours Case makes to its sellers. No luck finding a Hamilton Hardware though. There's about a Brazillion Hamiltons in this country. I'm very pleased with it.
Attachments
Case 2000 Mini-Trapper 6207W SS Old Red Smooth Bone Haywood Special - Labeled.JPG
Case 2000 Mini-Trapper 6207W SSMOld Red Smooth Bone Haywood Special - Blade Etch.JPG
Case 2000 Mini-Trapper 6207W SSMOld Red Smooth Bone Haywood Special - Tang Stamp.JPG
Case 2000 Mini-Trapper 6207W SSMOld Red Smooth Bone Haywood Special - Pile Closed.JPG
Case 2000 Mini-Trapper 6207W SSMOld Red Smooth Bone Haywood Special - Box Label.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Grump01
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Grump01 »

Jerryd.....…. Found a Hamilton Hardware in Houston Tx, but not sure if it would be the one.. Trying to find out at another location. :D
Don
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

It's hard Don. Pretty common name.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Not too long ago I saw another Haywood Special just like this for sale on eBay. In the listing, the seller mentioned the location of the hardware store; but, alas, due to my advanced state of CRC, I can't remember exactly where it was. I do know it was in a southeastern state, though (that narrows it down). I just spent the last 30 mins trying to find the old listing using every keyword combination imaginable on both eBay advanced search and WatchCount.com but came up empty.

I was tempted to get it because the one I saw came with a custom wood storage box, which is something I had never seen with an 07 before (only seen one with a Cheetah I used to have). In the end I passed on it because, despite it being an 07W, I'm not a fan of advertising on knives. Probably a mistake (definitely not my first and most likely not my last) ::dang::
~Q~
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Maybe go to Case web site.. Then look at Dealer locator.. Then try Texas.. ::shrug:: That's an Event knife..
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I tried that John but got nowhere. Either I don't know how to navigate the Case website (very possible) or it wasn't there. I Goggled Hamilton Hardware and they are all over the place. The one getting the most traction was in Houston, TX, but NC showed up as did MA, OH and a few others. And life goes on.

~Q~, I too am not a fan boy of names on knives (used to be) and may not have gotten it if not for the Wharncliffe main. I'm really very satisfied with the knife.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

I finally found that listing for the Haywood Special Mini T that I was searching for. Turns out my CRC is worse than I thought...the seller never mentioned the location of the Hamilton Hardware store this knife was made for. He just says it was produced for the 2000 Case Knife Show. However, the custom wood box is engraved on the top: "Hamilton Hardware, New Albany, MS", so, obviously, that's where I got the notion the event took place in a southeastern state.

EDIT: The COA also shows New Albany, Mississippi, as the location of the Hamilton Hardware store where the event took place.

Here's the link to the (ended) listing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/R-RE-CASE-XX-U ... 7675.l2557
~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Wow!! Thanks ~Q~. Plus you got the letter of Authenticity and wood box for only a few bucks more than I paid for mine. You can sure root 'em out buddy. And you just got it a month ago. I don't recall seeing you post it. How did I miss that?
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Oh, no...I didn't buy it, I was only considering buying it but I decided not to. Like I said, probably a mistake, but, c'est la vie....there'll always be another 07 come down the pike that I'll want just as much if not more so.
~Q~
Grump01
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Grump01 »

Boy, Q sure bested me finding Mississippi as location of Hamilton Hardware. I can add Hamilton Hardware is no longer...... :)
Don
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Here's a one-of-a-kind 07WW courtesy of (who else?) Dr. John Lansky1.
In it's first public appearance, allow me to present the extremely rare Mini Trapp2Cliffe ::woot::
P2120005.JPG
P2120003.JPG
Double the Wharncliffes, Double the Fun (just like Double Mint, Double Mint, Double Mint Gum!)

Since I am unable to pry it out of OCD Monkey's clutches, it looks as though he'll be sleeping with it...his new "comfort knife" ::nod::
~Q~
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Double sweet Q! Mr Lansky does great work. ::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu::
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

While my partner in crime (jerryd) is on hiatus, I'm taking advantage of the relative lack of competition and snapping up all the 07Ws I can find/afford.

Picked up this Old Red 6207W the other day even though I was pretty sure I already had one just like it (not that having duplicate 07Ws ever stopped OCD Monkey from acquiring more). However, when I was placing it in the appropriate spot in my knife case, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that I did not, in fact, have this exact model as I had thought...just one that is very similar from a different year and with a different shield.

P2250004.JPG
P2250003.JPG
P2250002.JPG

Here's why I was confused...you gotta admit, they're pretty similar.
P2250005.JPG
P2250008.JPG

The Devil is in the details, as they say...in this case the Date Stamps and Shields

P2250007.JPG
~Q~
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

They do look a lot alike. Glad you got the 2nd one. ::nod:: ::tu::
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

doglegg wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:33 am They do look a lot alike. Glad you got the 2nd one. ::nod:: ::tu::
Me too, Floyd, me too. And, believe it or not, this isn't the first 07W I almost passed over because I thought I already had one just like it (I have had to train myself to ignore OCD Monkey's screeching every time I see an 07W on eBay, but I may have to start paying closer attention to the frantic cries from the single-minded simian.)
~Q~
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Another beauty you scored Q.. NICE!! ::tu::

jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

DSC07095.JPG
DSC07097.JPG
DSC07093.JPG

QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Love the grain on the "River Log" (or is it "Bog Oak"?) 7207, John. Thanks for showing the pile side...beautiful 07. Don't see too many of those on eBay...better hang onto that one, it's definitely a keeper. ::tu::
~Q~
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Here's another 07W that I almost passed on because I thought I already had one. Once again, I was wrong and OCD Monkey was right. Although I do have a few other Sawcut 07Ws, they're not exactly the same. I think this new one is my favorite.

P2280008.JPG
P2280009.JPG
P2280010.JPG
P2280011.JPG

This is one of the other Sawcut 07Ws I have that I thought was the same...clearly it's not, though (different year, too).
P9020011.JPG
~Q~
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Thanks Q.. ::handshake:: The COA says Antique River Log.. ::tu::
A couple more fine MTs ya posted too!!! ::tu:: I like sawcut!!

jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

DSC07032.JPG
My one/only Sawcut MT.. ::tu::

QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

My Sawcut 07Ws...
P2290004.JPG
P2290005.JPG

And, since John tossed out a couple of Carhartt grenades, I feel duty bound to return fire...
P2290003.JPG
~Q~
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

DSC06239.JPG
DSC06241.JPG
Hey Q.. How about a Carhartt SAK??!! ::facepalm:: :lol: :lol:
John

QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Nice one, John. Love the Carhartt cover art.

Great knives, those SAKs ::nod::

I found this one on a trail when I was dirt biking in the high desert around Victorville, CA about 25 years ago. (Gave it to a kid in the local Boy Scout troop I was working with at the time.)
P6150837.JPG
~Q~
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

QTCut5 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:12 am It was very kind of Lansky1 to agree to the swap that resulted in a new home (with me) for his beautiful blue 2016 CCC 6207. As an added bonus, he transformed it into a one-of-a-kind CCC Trappcliffe. Then, just because he's such a stand up guy, he performed an encore of his trademark Trappcliffe tango on another 07 from my collection.

Two too-cool blue beauties fresh off the operating slab in the subterranean laboratory of the legendary Wharncliffe whisperer and Trappcliffe thaumaturge (google it), Dr. John Lansky1 8)

P1250003.JPG
AHHHHHHH FOILED ... I thought I was the originator of the Trappcliffe concept - I saw this random pile of Case's on eBay & somebody beat me to it ::dang:: ...
s-l1600.jpg
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”