The 25 Cent Fakes Get Worse

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

The 25 Cent Fakes Get Worse

Post by knifeaholic »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/s/192361713368?rmvSB=true

Well, I would give 25 cents for this one anyway.
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: The 25 Cent Fakes Get Worse

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Is it just my imagination or is Tennessee the main home of fakes? Seems like many if not most I see are from sellers in Tennessee and adjoining states. ::paranoid:: Makes me wonder if they're being made by someone in that locale? ::shrug::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

I don't mean to offend any of my southern brethren, but when I first started looking at knives on the internet my yankee friends told me to be very careful about buying knives from anybody below the Mason Dixon line, especially from Tennessee. I know there are honest sellers down there, I have bought a few good knives from guys in TN and surrounding states, but I agree that the center of fakery or at least selling fakes is there. Parker Sr. was a prolific and early purveyor of fakes and did much to tarnish the name of TN knife sellers but maybe too many others saw how much he was making doing it and had to follow suit. I must add though that there has been a guy in IN selling re-worked Case hunter as originals and getting top dollar for them. I guess greed is universal and unscrupulous sellers can pop up anywhere.
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Being a fixed blade kinda guy, please enlighten me as to why it's a fake.

Looking at the auction, the seller started it at 99¢ and stated that he was selling it as a parts knife and that the blade did not have a number (assuming model number) so he wasn't sure what it was.

From my point of view, the seller did nothing wrong.

The fact that some fools went all the way up to $178+ for it is the real mystery to me.
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

The person that bought it has over 7,000 purchases on FleaBay, and the vast majority of them are knives.
Following his bidding pattern he usually bids once per item, and gets them.
I didn't look to compare the times to he if see is a full blown sniper but his pattern suggests this.

Either way, he knows something that others don't OR he IS the King of Knife Addicts... with throw away money!
Plus... I have to agree that the seller listed the knife honestly. There was no misrepresentation of the item. It was the bidders that drove the price. ::nod::
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

The knife is a POS.The sellers 1st line "This is a good used Case 25 cent knife".If that ain't BS nothing is.
Roger
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

If his listing had said "This is a good used knife" I might agree. But he said "This is a good used Case knife". It's not a Case! Maybe the seller didn't know. But the way the rest of the listing is worded leads me to suspect he did.

Ken

Roger and I were posting basically the same sentiment at the same time.
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

The forger must have been so proud of his blade stamp that he decided to use it again on the handles... ::facepalm::
zzyzzogeton wrote:Being a fixed blade kinda guy, please enlighten me as to why it's a fake.
americanedgetech wrote:The person that bought it has over 7,000 purchases on FleaBay, and the vast majority of them are knives.
Following his bidding pattern he usually bids once per item, and gets them.
I didn't look to compare the times to he if see is a full blown sniper but his pattern suggests this.

Either way, he knows something that others don't OR he IS the King of Knife Addicts... with throw away money!
Plus... I have to agree that the seller listed the knife honestly. There was no misrepresentation of the item. It was the bidders that drove the price. ::nod::
That knife never saw the inside of a Case factory. By representing it as a "Case 25 cent knife" (a very specific claim), the seller did indeed misrepresent the knife to the extent that eBay itself would act upon a complaint of a fake.

I can't speak to why the buyer bothered sniping the knife. Some people have more money than sense. ::shrug::
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
americanedgetech

This knife he did not snipe.
He bid on it three times beginning at $53.88, $128.88, and the final bid of $173.49 held for 7 days, there were no further bids.

What perplexes me is the conversations surrounding 0.25, 0.50. 0.75 cent knives... It seems agreed that the 0.25 in the 06 pattern is legit. There is some remaining question as to the 0.50 cent knife even existing, the 0.75 cent is commonly believed to be a unicorn, and the dollar knife is attributed to Jim Parker as an outright fake.

What is the stand of Case as a company on everything except the 0.25 /06 pattern? Is there any real record of these other knives or has it all been lost to history?
Ken Mc.

OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

That is absolutely incredible that someone paid over $170.00 for it. And because they did the fakes will just keep on coming!
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

americanedgetech wrote:This knife he did not snipe.
He bid on it three times beginning at $53.88, $128.88, and the final bid of $173.49 held for 7 days, there were no further bids.

What perplexes me is the conversations surrounding 0.25, 0.50. 0.75 cent knives... It seems agreed that the 0.25 in the 06 pattern is legit. There is some remaining question as to the 0.50 cent knife even existing, the 0.75 cent is commonly believed to be a unicorn, and the dollar knife is attributed to Jim Parker as an outright fake.

What is the stand of Case as a company on everything except the 0.25 /06 pattern? Is there any real record of these other knives or has it all been lost to history?
Case does not know. There are no factory records.

I can only say that the only legitemate older (not modern or fake) Case pocket knife with one of the above stamps ($0.25, $0.50, $0.75, $1.00) that I personally have ever seen is the 6106 pattern with the Case 25 C tang stamp.

I have never seen any evidence of any OLDER Case knives with the 50 cent, 75 cent, or $1.00 stamps. Maybe I will someday, but until then, to me, these three stamps are "unicorns" at least as related to older Case knives. I don not believe that these stamps were ever used by Case prior to the Case Classics in the 1990's.

Parker issued all four stampings in the Case Classics series (these particular Case Classics made by Queen) in the toothpick pattern (four sizes).

Parker also sold some FAKES in his 90's catalogs, IIRC these were single-blade wooden handle jacks, most likely made in Solingen, with each of the four tang stamps.

While the Classics were at least properly represented as modern knives, the Solingen knives were outright fakes.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Here is one that I recently got - the real deal of course, and the nicest example that I have owned. Has XX over 6106 on the back tang.
IMG_8607.JPG
IMG_8608.JPG
IMG_8612.JPG
IMG_8614.JPG
IMG_8615.JPG
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

knifeaholic wrote:https://www.ebay.com/itm/s/192389315498?rmvSB=true

And another one....
38 bids at well over $100 with more than 8 hours to go. And not a single photo of the pile side. ::facepalm:: At least the seller is offering 14 days to return the knife in case there's a massive chunk of stag missing on the other side...
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

Another real one for reference , I sold this one at the Gator show a couple years ago for 300.00 and I believe I probably sold my self a couple hundred short .
Attachments
9EC6DCF7-47C7-4E79-A627-4CDF058536D7.png
5A95A0BD-5840-47F7-84AD-5184AE9082E7.png
438069A0-E8C3-45E6-8182-5FF756266BD8.png
3F5A11B5-39E7-4252-8B0C-82057CF64DBB.png
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
americanedgetech

Thank you for filling in some of the blanks in one post Steve.
I have seen the "Classics" set. I have seen them pieced out as well but I never noticed HOW they were being sold/represented.

One thing that will help me is, I notice the bone is spectacular on the real 06.
Especially so on your example ScoutK.

I have read that some respected collectors have claimed to have seen/owned real 0.50 cent knives.
I wonder how Case (today) would handle authenticating one... Food for thought I guess.

Thanks again. ::tu::
Ken Mc.

knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

americanedgetech wrote: I wonder how Case (today) would handle authenticating one... Food for thought I guess.

Thanks again. ::tu::
Case would send photos to either Tony Foster, Jim Sargent, or yours truly.
americanedgetech

A sand gnat walking in the company of giants...
I am humbled sir... ::not_worthy::

I'll tell ya what, It is a nice feeling to know that the information you are getting comes from a respected authority on the subject.
Finding this forum is like spotting land for a fella like me. ::handshake::
Ken Mc.

QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

This one looks to be legit, although it's not in the greatest condition and I can't make out any pattern number stamp on pile side tang in the seller's photos.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-RARE-C ... 1438.l2649

Case 25 Cent.jpg
~Q~
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Here's another one...in much better condition (although also missing pile side pattern tang stamp)...slightly more expensive, too! :shock:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-CASE-XX-T ... 5959306394

Case 25 Cent Green Bone.jpg
~Q~
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

The one in rough condition just sold for $432.00!! ::uc:: :shock:
~Q~
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

QTCut5 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:35 pm Here's another one...in much better condition (although also missing pile side pattern tang stamp)...slightly more expensive, too! :shock:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-CASE-XX-T ... 5959306394

Case 25 Cent Green Bone.jpg
Looks like a good frame with a brand new fake blade.
Attachments
25 cents b.jpg
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

I would take the rough honest expensive one over the cleaned / polished to death one any day .
That’s what one should look like after sitting in a drawer for the last 100 or so years .

QTCut5 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:30 pm The one in rough condition just sold for $432.00!! ::uc:: :shock:
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

QTCut5 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:30 pm The one in rough condition just sold for $432.00!! ::uc:: :shock:
Talk about ROI !!
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
mwgosc

Post by mwgosc »

I think my brother got a fake sodbuster off eBay its supposed to be new but looking at the stamp it's stamped really good but looking at the S it's not right to me. Tell me what y'all think
Attachments
Screenshot_20201123-225039~2.png
Screenshot_20201123-225049~2.png

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”