Interesting medium stockman comparison (#18 vs. 32)

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Interesting medium stockman comparison (#18 vs. 32)

Post by knifeaholic »

The change to the bolsters started in the late 70's when Case stopped being as careful in the final hafting. so the bolsters started becoming somewhat blockier.

However, the big change occurred in 1985/86 when Case started stamping bolsters for all knives out of flat sheets of nickel silver. The traditional way prior to that point had been to die-form the bolsters out of square nickel silver bars, so the bolsters as formed were half-round to begin with. During final hafting of the knife, the handles were hafted to match the half-round bolster shape.

After 1985 with the bolsters stamped from flat stock, the only rounding that occurs happens during the final hafting, which seems to vary from pattern to pattern. You will see more rounding on the modern "pocket worn" knives.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

Thanks Steve for that info - interesting how the methods of manufacturing bolsters at Case has changed. ::tu::
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
markpreston

Post by markpreston »

Does the squared bolster knife have half stops,and if so do they feel better on opening than the 18?
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

markpreston wrote:Does the squared bolster knife have half stops,and if so do they feel better on opening than the 18?
I have about a dozen post 1980 32's (square bolsters) & none have half stops. I have read some of the 1970's 32's have half stops though...
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
32man

Post by 32man »

Thanks for that info Steve! I love my 32's! ::tu:: ::groove::

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”