The Holy Grail of Case Knife Display Cases!

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Blondediva912

The Holy Grail of Case Knife Display Cases!

Post by Blondediva912 »

I'm hoping that someone will be able to help me with this gorgeous display case that I have. I have spent countless hours trying to find information on this beast with no such luck. The display is currently located in my fathers hardware store in Western, NY. My dad bought the store in 1988 and worked there for 5 years before that and It was already there when he started. The only thing the previous store owner knew was that it was the largest display case that Case had ever made. The top lifts up to place items in the front and there are light bulbs that still work that light it up. In the back every drawer can be locked and I have the key. My dad's plan is to junk everything within the next year because he is tired. I would hate to see this bad boy be ruined. Any helpful ideas or information would be greatly appreciated. I hope at the very least you guys will appreciate this true beauty!
Attachments
IMG_20140827_164901_454.jpg
IMG_20140827_164908_297.jpg
IMG_20140827_164927_815.jpg
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: The Holy Grail of Case Knife Display Cases!

Post by knifeaholic »

Hi; welcome to AAPK and thanks for posting that. I love the old display cases.

Yours looks to be a variation of the #49 display. Based on the way the logo is painted I would say it is most likely pre-1960 and probably post 1940.

The photo I have shows the drawers in the front. But it seemed to be more popular to have the drawers in the back, as yours is.

Is there any paperwork in your display? Case would ship each display with a display record - one or more sheets that listed each cutlery item by display number.
Attachments
Case Display Largest Floor Display-1.jpg
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

That's a great display as it has a large glass-covered area where items can be displayed, and the whole thing can be locked.

I found one like it once (see pictures below) and was very excited about buying it, until I measured it and found there wasn't any door or hallway in my house it would fit through. I could maybe, with difficulty, have gotten it into the living room but that's where it would have to stay. The wife nixed that idea so had to pass on it. ::facepalm::

It's a beautiful piece. Take good care of it. Hopefully you can find a good place for it. ::tu::

And welcome to AAPK!

Ken
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (39.11 KiB) Viewed 3916 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (40.46 KiB) Viewed 3916 times
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Oh wow. That's awesome. I'd get back into collecting case knives to fill that display. Thanks for showing us
Blondediva912

Post by Blondediva912 »

Wow the similarities! So cool. Thank you for sharing! No unfortunately I could not find any paperwork, just a whole bunch of ordering catalogs.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Just for my interest what is this beautiful display case worth ? I have never seen any display case of this size before.
To get a carpenter/cabinet maker to build one i think would cost about $2500 ? This one also has historical and collector value so price could be much higher.
kj
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

It is impressive, but size will limit the interest. Has Ken said he didn't have a door big enough to get in.
Roger
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

KOOL!!! ::tu:: ::nod::
John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Blondediva912

Post by Blondediva912 »

It's only Worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I do think my case has a slight advantage over the other though. The top could be removed, just unscrew the hinges. Then I'm fairly certain it could be turned in any sort of direction to go through a doorway!
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Blondediva912 wrote:Wow the similarities! So cool. Thank you for sharing! No unfortunately I could not find any paperwork, just a whole bunch of ordering catalogs.
Can you post pics of the catalog covers? I can tell you how old they are.
rugmar

Post by rugmar »

My wife made some photos of this one that we ran accross last weekend. It is certainly not the Holy Grail but interesting nonetheless.

Looks pretty old to me. Front and rear shots. I think it was $625 or $650.
Attachments
IMG_1656.jpg
IMG_1656.jpg (60.58 KiB) Viewed 3364 times
IMG_1657.jpg
IMG_1657.jpg (59.84 KiB) Viewed 3364 times
Blondediva912

Post by Blondediva912 »

So I have a few specifications if anyone is interested! I'll just post my pictures, that should be easier! If anyone is interested, this beautiful case needs a new home by the end of October! So if you're in the Western, NY just drop me a line!
Attachments
About 27 inches
About 27 inches
About 7 feet
About 7 feet
About 34 inches
About 34 inches

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”