Questions about some Knives

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
bhuber

Questions about some Knives

Post by bhuber »

I stopped into an antique mall today and found some Case knives that I’m considering picking up. I’m not an expert on Case knives but thought these seemed like fair prices. Can anyone help me out and let me know if the prices are right on these? The folding hunter with sheath and no price shown is $35, the others are marked. The yellow one is a 1977. I wasn’t sure how much I should be concerned about the cracks in the scales on the yellow folder.
Attachments
69621EF5-B2FD-43B5-939A-C70EF8700AC6.jpeg
13B75104-57D2-4085-BDB3-FBBE6926F8D7.jpeg
9EACB166-578A-4E39-A6FA-79DC3591447F.jpeg
22E4A69E-EB29-4E35-90E0-09F9A69AC075.jpeg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Questions about some Knives

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

bhuber wrote:I stopped into an antique mall today and found some Case knives that I’m considering picking up. I’m not an expert on Case knives but thought these seemed like fair prices. Can anyone help me out and let me know if the prices are right on these? The folding hunter with sheath and no price shown is $35, the others are marked. The yellow one is a 1977. I wasn’t sure how much I should be concerned about the cracks in the scales on the yellow folder.
The crack hurts the value of that one a lot. It’s now a 15 to 20 knife. The others are priced low if they are in excellent condition. Folding hunters in good to excellent condition will bring 55 to 60 in all markets. The last one is a NKCA knife. It’s a high quality knife from Case and it was made, I believe for the Knife Museum celebration. These when I sold the 2 that I had brought closer to 80 dollars a piece.
Hope this helps. Looks like you have some good finds.
If you are going to use that yellow one with the crack, then that might be okay, but for collecting, avoid cracked or chipped handles.
Good Luck
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
bhuber

Post by bhuber »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
bhuber wrote:I stopped into an antique mall today and found some Case knives that I’m considering picking up. I’m not an expert on Case knives but thought these seemed like fair prices. Can anyone help me out and let me know if the prices are right on these? The folding hunter with sheath and no price shown is $35, the others are marked. The yellow one is a 1977. I wasn’t sure how much I should be concerned about the cracks in the scales on the yellow folder.
The crack hurts the value of that one a lot. It’s now a 15 to 20 knife. The others are priced low if they are in excellent condition. Folding hunters in good to excellent condition will bring 55 to 60 in all markets. The last one is a NKCA knife. It’s a high quality knife from Case and it was made, I believe for the Knife Museum celebration. These when I sold the 2 that I had brought closer to 80 dollars a piece.
Hope this helps. Looks like you have some good finds.
If you are going to use that yellow one with the crack, then that might be okay, but for collecting, avoid cracked or chipped handles.
Good Luck
Thanks!
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Been looking for a backup older 6265 that isn't completely used up, and from what I've seen, I would say the $35 price on that NKCA issue is a steal. I don't think all Folding Hunters actually came with sheaths.

As for the birdseye Stockman; if you get it cheap, it's a good candidate for having new scales put on.

And what I see in the background of your photo is typical of my area--loads of low-end bargain bin folders; and who knows what else.
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

The yellow one demonstrates why better knives have bolsters reinforcing the handle to support the blade pivots. It was built to be unusually inexpensive for a Case and failed in normal use. Regardless of the price, forget it.

The jigged wood or laminated wood Folding Hunter is a steal. If you snooze you will lose.

The NKCA large Coke Bottle has an attractive price but only if its blade etchings are not too gaudy for your taste. Case has used those large broad blades as a canvas for decorative or commemorative etching many times. I like the ones with etchings that do not cover too much of the blade. However, just like with commemorative guns, in equal condition club knives and commemorative knives are worth less than standard production items without the decorations.
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

bhuber wrote:The yellow one is a 1977. I wasn’t sure how much I should be concerned about the cracks in the scales on the yellow folder.
The Birdseye Case is a 7 dot 1973 knife. If you could pick it up cheap it would make a good parts or carry knife. The 1990 NKCA folding hunter has a cracked scale at the center pin. It is a 61050 if I’m not mistaken. If the $35 dollar folding hunter, which is a 6165, has a good full blade, good snap, and a good pile side scale, I would say buy it. It is definitely your best buy and the single blade hunters are nice. It looks to be a mid to late 70s I know it’s not any older than 1973 because that’s when Case started using the shield that is on that knife.
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

Landersknives wrote: [...] The 1990 NKCA folding hunter has a cracked scale at the center pin. [...]
Good eye. I did not enlarge the pictures. He could call Case and ask if they will they'll replace the cracked side cover. They'll probably replace it for free. However, considering how much of its blade is covered by etching and the crack I'd pass and pay a little more for a Large Coke Bottle that is not a club knife. We agree that the 6165 is the outstanding buy.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

You’ll be hard pressed to find an old Birdseye pattern without handle cover damage. The older plastics and celluloids used before Delrin just didn’t hold up to aging long term, and even those later ones (like that one from 1977) are prone to cracking. I suspect that’s one reason Case discontinued the pattern. If you like it, it is collectible especially if in excellent to mint condition so if you can get it cheap you could have it re-handled. If it’s only needing new handle covers Case repair center might do it or there are folks here who could do it also.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
bhuber

Post by bhuber »

Went back today and decided against the yellow one. I couldn’t deal with the cracks and no wiggle room on price. The NKCA knife does have a nice crack in the scale and I didn’t want to spend $50 on it. The folding hunter was like new, but I was mistaken on the price, it was $80 and more than I wanted to spend. Thanks for everyone’s help here!!

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”