Need advice and input on this knife i bought

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
endzone

Need advice and input on this knife i bought

Post by endzone »

I'm looking for some knowledge from you experts. I found what I thought was an unusual Case knife for sale in a display case at an old general store in East Texas. There were only two knives on display and one was an unusual looking John Deere Baby Butterbean. There wasn't a box for it, which I thought was a little odd, but I bought it as it was priced at only $37. I searched for info on it but didn't come up with anything that looked like it. I did finally stumble across it when I saw it was part of the ERTL Truck Series specifically the 2002: 1946 Dodge Ram Power Wagon Set. I assume that somewhere along the line, this store had the set and probably sold the truck without the knife and eventually found the knife and put it in the display to sell. So my question is does this knife hold any value beyond a great little pocket knife since I have no truck to go with it? If not, then I'm very inclined to just carry and use it. But I'd hate to make it a used knife it has some collectible value. Thanks for any input anyone might have.
steve99f

Re: Need advice and input on this knife i bought

Post by steve99f »

Welcome AAPK endzone!

I don't have any specific knowledge about that JD baby butterbean you bought. I would advise using without a care for collectability as these were made to be instant collectables. The other thing is, it is rather new, being a 2002. Many folks think any Case pk made after 1969 is "new". Some go back further than that. It is all good. Enjoy your knife, it may not be your last. ::tu::
steve99f
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I’ll agree with what Steve said. Newer Case knives (post 1970’s) in general haven’t appreciated in value much and many have not kept up with inflation. It’s often hard to sell them for what they sold for when new, plus inflation. There are exceptions. If you want to sell yours for a premium, my guess is you’ll need to find someone that collects those Ertl sets. Otherwise it’s worth what you paid for it. Maybe in another 50 years...........who knows? ::shrug::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Hi and ::welcome:: to AAPK. How about some pictures? ::tu::
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
endzone

Post by endzone »

That's what I was hoping to hear!! I'd prefer to carry the knife but just didn't want to make a mistake. If someone can give me some direction, I'll post a picture.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Go to AAPK Tips and Tricks viewforum.php?f=98. Scroll down until you find the thread pertaining to your device software - PC, Android, iPad, etc. and follow the instructions. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”