carbon fiber sided Cases

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Modern Slip Joints

carbon fiber sided Cases

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

I just noticed a Case Folding Hunter with carbon fiber sides, 10265 SS. It has no bolsters. I did not know Case made knives that way. I presume the design was to lighten the knife. That has some attraction if this old geezer is going to try and carry it a long way. In general, what time period did Case use carbon fiber sides, are they common, are they wanted or are they seen as too cheap a substitute for a knife with bolsters, etc. Opinions?
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: carbon fiber sided Cases

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I'm not sure which knives in the Case line you're asking about but I'm guessing it's the TecX series. https://caseknives.com/collections/tecx

These have been around for several years, Case's response to the customer base that likes this sort of knife. They're contracted from a Chinese source and made a lot of Case " made in America" purists upset when they were introduced. Case does not own the factory where these are made.

Personally I don't like anything made in China but I can understand a company not wanting to lose market share. The TecX knives I have examined are of good quality. You can see the price point in the URL link I provided. I don't own any and do not intend to.

Ken

Oops just noticed you referenced the 10265 pattern which negates my response above. However I think the same principle applies - an attempt to satisfy a segment of the customer base. Case has made bolsterless knives throughout their history. Sometimes called "shadow bolsters" . The carbon fiber? Why not - they use everything else under the sun! :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
4ever3

Post by 4ever3 »

What Ken said...

I believe that knife is made here, it’s just that Case is trying to appeal to a younger crowd.
Got Sowbelly's ?

jsteely@cox.net
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

Since we usually expect to see a single digit for the handle material and the ~ 4" Mid-Folding Hunter's handle shape has number 265 I'm concerned that the pattern number 10265 SS might be confusing. This site's research area writes 10 is the number for Micarta. Probably that was written before Case started using carbon fiber reinforced plastic. The materials are similar enough for it to be logical to use 10 again. I found another example with carbon fiber sides. It is the common 3 5/8" serpentine Stockman that with carbon sides is a 10318 SS. I hope that makes it all clear.

I'm still hoping for some opinions, good or bad.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

DSC04073.JPG
DSC04071.JPG
Here is a Sod Buster..
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
tallguy606

Post by tallguy606 »

I see knives with synthetic handles, and some have a washer under the blade pivot pin, and some do not. Seems to me the one with the washer would be a much stronger design, less prone to develop sideways blade play. I notice some Buck folders were made both ways.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”