Case Cheetah

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
PaulHerron

Case Cheetah

Post by PaulHerron »

[image][image][/image][/image]Can someone give me some information on the Case Cheetah 9 dot with the Cheetah on the blade and Stag handles. I see some 8 dots and 9 dots. I would like to know how many were produced and were they issued in sets or sold individually?
Thanks!
Attachments
020.jpg
zp4ja

Re: Case Cheetah

Post by zp4ja »

PaulHerron wrote:[image][image][/image][/image]Can someone give me some information on the Case Cheetah 9 dot with the Cheetah on the blade and Stag handles. I see some 8 dots and 9 dots. I would like to know how many were produced and were they issued in sets or sold individually?
Thanks!
Hello,

If there is a model stamp on back of main blade, it will either be a small or large stamp Cheetah. It will be a 9 dot Cheetah (whether you see 8 or 9 dots visible) as no 8 dots were ever proven to be made. The small stamp will have model stamp of 5111-1/2LSSP and large stamp will say 5111-1/2L. 1700 of each made according to my research and yes, released in early 70's stag sets during stag embargo when CASE stag knives were scarce.
Post a pic of back of main blade tang where model stamp is and I can confirm.
I can also turn you in to more info regarding CASE Swing Guards when time permits.
Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
PaulHerron

Post by PaulHerron »

Thanks for the info! I would like to know the other knives that were in the set?[image][/image]
Attachments
023.jpg
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

PaulHerron wrote:Thanks for the info! I would like to know the other knives that were in the set?[image][/image]
That is a nine dot large stamp. I believe you likely see 8 dots with swing guard covering the ninth dot.

Search 1971 and 1973 CASE stag sets and you will find info you are looking for. If you are looking to fill rest of set that will be challenging albiet not impossible. Some complete sets are still floating around but MANY have been broken up for an extra buck. Sad in my opinion but it is what it is.
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
PaulHerron

Post by PaulHerron »

Thanks So much! you've been a big help!!!
Paul
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

No problem Paul. Glad to help. If you want more info on CASE swing guards, let me know. I have about 30 or so examples and made some pretty detailed posts I can point you to.
If your pursuit is filling out the stag set, I wish you luck as if you go down that path, unless you get lucky that is a long haul quest short of buying a set.
Please note that in 71' set for example, they went to shelf to fill knives in the set. If one knife in set was not on shelf at the time, two of one pattern were given instead. That is my understanding.
Jerry
PaulHerron

Post by PaulHerron »

Would love more info on Case swing guards!
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”