6488 Question

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
cody6268

6488 Question

Post by cody6268 »

I'm wondering, how much should I consider reasonable for an EDC-condition 6488 Large Congress with blades that aren't worn down too badly? In other words, used, carried and maybe (lightly) sharpened? Not a shelf-queen, but a decent user. I have a 1976 in Delrin, and every blade on it has heavy blade wear, and severe recurves on every blade; and would like to upgrade it to something at least retaining the proper shape of its blades.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: 6488 Question

Post by Quick Steel »

It would be a great help for those who can help you with your question if you could post a photo of the knife.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Quick Steel wrote:It would be a great help for those who can help you with your question if you could post a photo of the knife.

::dang:: Yep, should have remembered that. I also happen to have a photo of it that I forgot I had. I apparently took it for the EDC thread.
hMwTH4T.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Are you wanting to know what yours is worth, or what it will cost to replace it with an upgrade?

I know it's trite, especially for those that have been around here long, but eBay sold listings is the place to find your answer.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Mumbleypeg wrote:Are you wanting to know what yours is worth, or what it will cost to replace it with an upgrade?

I know it's trite, especially for those that have been around here long, but eBay sold listings is the place to find your answer.

Ken
Slightly upgrade.I did some digging onto what was available for sale some time ago, but just now checked sold listings. It seems to be this is definitely a rather desirable model. I just wanted to be sure these were actually what the things were going for. I noticed even those with as much blade wear as mine shows (and the one I saw was nearly identical, aside from being a '75) are $50 knives. One in the condition I was wanting (used, with little blade wear)was about a $100 knife and it was pitted pretty deep. But I did see one that showed quite a bit of use, but the blades weren't worn down excessively for $75. More within what I can afford. I guess if I'm regularly attentive to the listings, I possibly could pick one up on the cheap. And uh, be really careful not to lose the one I have!

Hopefully, the "Vault" knife for 2020 will be an 88 pattern! That way, I might be able to afford one then.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Recommend you also keep an eye on listings here in the AAPK stores. I looked a good while for a used Case 53047 that I could EDC (and I could afford to EDC). After watching both eBay and AAPK I finally found one right here.

Good luck with your search!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Well, there is what *I* will pay for a used, reasonably good condition Case knife, and then there is apparently what everyone else on eBay will pay for a used Case knife. My number seems to be about 25% lower than everyone else...

I did a quick ebay search for sold Congress knives, and it looks like the going rate for a nearly new one in bone is $35-$40 + shipping. However, they don't seem to come up for auction all that often, so you might need to be patient if you want a good deal. Shepherd Hills has a brand new black synthetic for $50. There are several really nice ones on AAPK for $65 to OMG! prices. Check out Knifeaholic's store - he has a really nice looking one in 6.5 Bone Stag.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”