XX Bone handle question

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Fishnbum

XX Bone handle question

Post by Fishnbum »

4D172517-19F5-4DAE-921E-4B50BD0C016E.jpeg
E6F73047-C109-4BE8-B92D-C7C4314A833D.jpeg
I have a question about this XX 06244. I acquired this knife when I bought a small local collection. The jig bone handles are different from any others I have. Is this a special type of bone or is it just slightly different from case’s usual jig bone? It stands out in the knife roll. Thanks for any answers in advance
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Re: XX Bone handle question

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

It doesn't seem that much different from some I have seen - I tend to call that "sharp jigging" (I just made that up). Maybe we're just used to seeing the pocketworn (both natural and induced) that seems to be more common now?
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: XX Bone handle question

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I don't think there's anything wrong with it. Case undoubtedly had to replace jigging tools from time to time. Old tooling wore down and had to be replaced. When a new tool was made there were slight differences between it and the old tooling, and other tooling also in use concurrently assuming there was more than one jigging machine. And the new tooling was sharp and made cleaner cuts than the worn tooling, until it gradually wore down itself.

Another possible difference is introduced during the heating process. A thicker slab of rigged bone requires more of the material to be "hafted" (removed) to make the handles fit the bolsters.

Those are two factors that affect the appearance of jigging. JMO.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”