1976 mini copperhead

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Bo-didley

1976 mini copperhead

Post by Bo-didley »

I came across a mini copperhead with buffalo horn scales .Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks Bo
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
XX Case XX

Re: 1976 mini copperhead

Post by XX Case XX »

I could be wrong about this but I don't think your knife has Buffalo Horn handles. I think the handles are what's commonly referred to as "Slick Black". Basically, they are made of synthetic materials like Delrin or Polymers. When new, the handles are very shiny, but over time they dull out due to various conditions.

Hopefully, someone who knows more than I do will come along and either verify or refute my assumption.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

XX Case XX wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:20 pm I could be wrong about this but I don't think your knife has Buffalo Horn handles. I think the handles are what's commonly referred to as "Slick Black". Basically, they are made of synthetic materials like Delrin or Polymers. When new, the handles are very shiny, but over time they dull out due to various conditions.

Hopefully, someone who knows more than I do will come along and either verify or refute my assumption.

Correct. The knife has the “Delrin shield” which was used on synthetic handle covers at the time. It’s odd though that the pattern number stamp looks like 62109x which should be bone or jigged Delrin.

Ken
Delrin shield
Delrin shield
Regular shield
Regular shield
CE409B8A-7B08-4FE9-A468-A398E62D4444.jpeg (25.77 KiB) Viewed 1166 times
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Bo-didley

Post by Bo-didley »

Mike you are right about the pattern number.The pics don't show the light swirl in the handle,and they are hard.
Bo
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

This is what threw me off at first, but I felt confident that your handles were synthetic as I don't remember ever seeing a Buffalo Horn Case made in the 1970's. They make them now, but I don't believe they made them back in the day.

"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”