Old Case shields

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
msteele6

Re: Old Case shields

Post by msteele6 »

I just looked at the Bradford era knives in Sargent's 7th Edition and it appears that most of them had Case shields, there is a picture of an 06294 on page 135 that has a Bowtie (gimp) shield with the raised Case lettering. I have a knife with a raised letter shield that you can barely see the letters, I'm convinced that a few more years of carrying (which I'm not doing) would leave you with a completely smooth shield.

Nice old Case Scout shield, that's one I don't have. :)
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Sargent's 4th has the flat bolstered BRADFORD, PA 6394 with a smooth gimp shield on Page 151.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

msteele6 wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:25 pm Nice old Case Scout shield, that's one I don't have. :)
Thanks , it’s very difficult to find with the pre 1920s tang stamp .

Mike
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

I posted this one a while back and it is still for sale on the bay. There clear answers about the 3 springs but I am still unsure about the shield. I have never seen this one on a Case and don't see it in any of my reference books. So, I am still curious about opinions on the shield. Sorry about the less than crisp screen picture. Thanks and happy new year! :D

https://www.ebay.com/itm/old-antique-w- ... %7Ciid%3A1
Attachments
DSCN0001.JPG
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Ol' Sporty currently has a 6294 stamped exactly like mine, but his shield has "CASE" on it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Case-Bradford- ... 3639166534

Whoever cleaned mine up might have removed the reminants of "CASE" when polishing, or it could have been pocket worn? ::shrug::
Attachments
Screenshot_20200830-090925.png
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”