Case B2055 ???

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Case B2055 ???

Post by herbva »

I'm just curious what everyone thinks about this 055. (I'm not making any accusations about anything.) The auction lists it as a "B2055". Is there a B2055 pattern? With celluloid scales, shouldn't it be 32055, if such a thing exists? The things that I find most curious about this knife are: first, the long pull on the clip extends all the way into the tang. I own several 055's with long pulls and none of the pulls extend into the tangs. Second, in the description, the seller says "I don't believe it was ever used, carried, or sharpened, if so very lightly. " From the pictures, the blades indeed look to be mint, except, the tang stamp is very, very light; almost looking worn off. Perhaps these award or advertising 055 knives were made on contract by another company for Case, or ? I'm just looking for enlightenment. Thanks! :D

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-VINTAGE-C ... %7Ciid%3A1
Attachments
DSCN9602.JPG
DSCN9603.JPG
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case B2055 ???

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Could be a different blade welded to the old tang and then heavily buffed?
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Other than the light stamp I don't see anything about the knife that concerns me. I don't think that Mr. Brown accumulated one million work hours on his own. Thant would be about 480 years of standard work weeks.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I hope the seller was practicing good safety while buffing that knife to death... :lol:
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

As Wayne said, I don’t see anything wrong with the knife aside from the light tang stamp, which looks like an authentic stamp to me. Nor does the knife appear heavily buffed. The edges are crisp like they should be, and I see no signs of pitting being buffed out which is the typical case when a knife is heavily buffed.

Not sure why the OP pics appear to have been taken through a window screen - the seller’s listing pics are clear. ::shrug::

Ken
Attachments
EDDF340C-E87F-444D-BAFB-D9B12EF96AAD.jpeg
BB27BF7A-B714-4CDA-9C5F-123F47A0F433.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Thanks Ken and everyone else. I appreciate the input. I wasn't taking the pics through a window screen, LOL, that's just the way they come out when I take a picture of something on my computer screen. I would like to know what you think about the pull (or nail nick). I've looked at my Case knives with long pulls, and did find one where the pull touches the start of the tang, but none of them extend all the way into the tang like to OP knife does. Is this is just a normal manufacturing variance? ::hmm::
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

::hmm:: Could be the Merrill Lynch in Hilliard, OH???

Herb, I get the same screen pixel result when taking a cell pic of my TV or computer screen. You can right click to save the picture to your computer drive and then upload, if you're interested.

John
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

The handle code "B" was used extensively by Case in the pre-WWII era, interchangeably for imitation onyx and for waterfall celluloid.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Thanks Steve! Always good to learn a bit more. :D

Herb

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”