8254SS

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
kenny7478
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

8254SS

Post by kenny7478 »

IMG_1944.JPG
IMG_1943.JPG
IMG_1942.JPG
Is this rare. Need a selling price, thanks
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: 8254SS

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Case made numerous releases of 8254 MOP Trappers off and on from the 1980s until recently. Some of them were included in MOP sets as one of several knives. Others were released as individual knives. So I wouldn’t say they are particularly rare other than the prices were high (because of the pearl) relative to those with most other handle materials, so were probably made in lower numbers. Your best source for value is an advanced search of sold listings on eBay. Limit your search to sold listings only and search for Case pearl 8254 trapper or similar key words.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
kenny7478
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by kenny7478 »

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I find them on eBay and other websites. But, I haven’t seen one with the cascading handles and bolsters. Thanks again.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

That's a REAL BEAUTY!!! ::tu::
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

I like that cascading pearl - I like the unique shield as well. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Neat knife! I don't recall ever seeing Cascading Pearl before. Very unique.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I think it's interesting how they matched the bolsters with the scale texture, nice pick up! ::tu:: ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

1967redrider wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:13 pm I think it's interesting how they matched the bolsters with the scale texture, nice pick up! ::tu:: ::tu::
Not exactly John. The Pearl handles were put on then the grooves were routed in the Pearl and carried on through the bolsters (and a pin if it was in the way). Those grooves didn't come naturally in the Pearl. Blow up the picture. You can see it fairly clearly.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:42 pm
1967redrider wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:13 pm I think it's interesting how they matched the bolsters with the scale texture, nice pick up! ::tu:: ::tu::
Not exactly John. The Pearl handles were put on then the grooves were routed in the Pearl and carried on through the bolsters (and a pin if it was in the way). Those grooves didn't come naturally in the Pearl. Blow up the picture. You can see it fairly clearly.
I don’t know for sure but my instincts tell me this was embellished after leaving the factory. JMO

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

TPK

Post by TPK »

Nice looking knife! ::tu:: ::super_happy::

Tom
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I didn't do a search, so pardon my laziness, but was this a series that Case did and are there other patterns? ::shrug::

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

1967redrider wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:26 am I didn't do a search, so pardon my laziness, but was this a series that Case did and are there other patterns? ::shrug::
I did a search on the CCC forum site for “8254” and it returned 4 pages of posts, many with pictures. Unless I missed it there were no pictures of any knives having the “cascading” appearance of the OP knife. That’s why my instincts tell me this was probably an aftermarket embellishment. ::shrug:: Typically if Case makes a release, especially an unusual or unique one, someone (or several) there will have one.

Doesn’t rule out that Case might have made a unique “one-of-a-kind” knife for an auction or a drawing prize at one of their dealer events. The only way I know of to verify that is to ask Case for information. Maybe they will recognize it (or not).

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

kenny7478
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by kenny7478 »

Got a request sent in to Case for info. I will post it when I get it. Also, the 3 case knives with the scrolled bolsters and bow tie shields. They were 125th anniversary knives. Numbered 1-500 or 1-300. I forgot, sue me. Not case classics as the gentleman stated.
kenny7478
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by kenny7478 »

This terraced pearl trapper was a Special Factory Order from Shepherd Hills Cutlery. A total of 300 were made in 2002. They are a very tough find. Original price was $220. I bet we never see Case make any more like these. There was also a tiny toothpick done in the same terraced pearl handles.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Thanks for the info! ::handshake::

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”