Pre-1920’s fixed blade Case XX ? Strange Case XX ?

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
67cuda

Pre-1920’s fixed blade Case XX ? Strange Case XX ?

Post by 67cuda »

Just picked up a 9” overall, 4 5/8” blade Case XX that I think is pre-1920’s according to the folder tang stamp guide, but according to the fixed tang stamp guide it’s both pre 1920’s, and 1930’s. What do you guys think ? It does have a short blood groove, and a design I’m unfamiliar with ? Here’s a link to the eBay page.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/233513780407?V ... CO:US:1123
Gumshoe

Re: Pre-1920’s fixed blade Case XX ? Strange Case XX ?

Post by Gumshoe »

The wood handle looks like Rosewood (red flag?). It also has thumb notches on the spine with the fuller groove, so my guess is that it a skinner. No opinion on the tang stampings, but I'm sure someone will come along who knows.
67cuda

Post by 67cuda »

Yeah, I’m having a real hard time researching 1905-1920 case XX fixed blades. Everyone’s into folders ! I’ve had, and have a lot of folders through decades in boxes, as I collect so many different antiques, but I prefer a good locking folder. I’ve been cut so many times without a lock that unless I was in it for the business aspect, I have little interest in folders. I love good hunting and defensive/military knives. The nicks in the wood, the design of the blade, blood groove, stamps, all looks to be period correct for a 1905-1920 knife, but I can’t find a single image like it, especially from case. I do wish it had a bone handle, but the beefier design, and antiquity of it, drew me to it. I’ll continue to research it, especially after it finally gets into my hands. The blood groove reminds me of very old westerns. It’s just strange all around, let alone combined. I can’t find a single really old Case image like it ?
67cuda

Post by 67cuda »

Here’s an even earlier one with jimping on the spine, but no blood groove. Pre Philadelphia factory. What’s red flag about rosewood, and are you sure ?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Early-W-R ... 7675.l2557
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

The handle is original and most likely walnut as that is what was used for knives of this type and time frame. I think the pattern number would be 1324. Nice custom but non-original sheath. Knife was made somewhere around 1923-1926 before the Kinfolks factory took over Case fixed blade production.

Don't use the pocket knife stamp dating for Case fixed blades.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

67cuda wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:54 am Here’s an even earlier one with jimping on the spine, but no blood groove. Pre Philadelphia factory. What’s red flag about rosewood, and are you sure ?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Early-W-R ... 7675.l2557
Why do you say this knife is earlier than the OP knife? Philadelphia factory?? What is that a reference to? Case never had any knives made in Philly. There is no proof whatsoever that Case ever made a fixed blade knife before 1920. Most earlier Case hunters with wood handles used cocobolo wood but there were also slab handled Case hunters with oak scales. I agree with Wayne, probably 1922-1925 for the date OP knife was made. If it has an aluminum guard it was made after 1925 by Kinfolks for Case.
67cuda

Post by 67cuda »

Gunsil, my mistake, I meant Pennsylvania. I’m new to this. I’ve been cramming, ( nerding, lol ), for about a week with everything I can find on the subject of old fixed blades, even though I’ve collected hundreds through the last half century. I bought 3 off of eBay this week, and one more in the next couple hours before I’m done for the week. I’m learning, and will probably do it the hard way like everything else throughout my life. Picked up two cases, a western, and soon either another western or a queen steel. I’m not big on folders that don’t lock, so I’ll leave those to you guys, and if I ever sort through all my boxes, I’ll probably have quite a few to sell ? Some never left the original packaging, so you might be interested in that stuff in particular ? My focus will be on the earliest of hunting skinning knives. Less dainty and more work oriented, however, that may change, adapt, with more knowledge on the subject ?

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”