Grandad was a Case man!

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
EeDeCe

Grandad was a Case man!

Post by EeDeCe »

As I mentioned in the Boker area, I’ve gotten knives from my grandfathers and Dad and I’ve been cleaning them up, putting some to use. I remember Grandad always had a small case on him, probably the Copperhead is what I remember. The Stockman is still new looking, so I doubt he got to carry it. Or it was too small at the time. The folding Hunter is interesting and cleaned up nicely. It must be carbon steel from the way it started out and the patina it still has. I plan to leave it unpolished, but it definitely sharpened up well.

I’ve soaked it down in oil so it does operate ok, but I’m wondering if I should try washing it out with hot water and dry in the oven at 170. Then re-oil, obviously. I’d like to get the action better, it feels a little rough. Suggestions?

Pictured and best I can figure on years:
Folding Hunter, 6265_SAB, 1986(?)
Copperhead, 6244, 1964-69
Stockman, 6333 ss, 1995
The Russlock is mine, a recent addition. 2014 I think.
The white one, I don’t know what it is, but he gave it to my Grandmother to carry in her purse. “USA” something. It’s TINY. LOL
Attachments
3ACDD85E-15F2-42BD-856A-2FAD29A06F7B.jpeg
6DEE304A-BB85-4272-9EAB-515187D44037.jpeg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Grandad was a Case man!

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Quick Release oil https://latama.net/pages/quick-release-oil-1 is the best thing I’ve found for restoring snap to old knives. Apply sparingly (One or two drops is plenty, then work the blade open and closed several times to distribute the oil) to the joints.
You might want to read this also, just in case viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49707#p523799

As for cleaning, many here advocate washing the knife in a mild solution of dish soap and lukewarm water. Dry it, blow out any excess water using compressed air, then apply lube to the joints. WD-40 is a good water displacing agent (that’s what the ”WD” stands for) but contrary to popular belief it’s not a very good lubricant, relatively speaking. Here’s a link to more info about cleaning knives viewtopic.php?f=98&t=65391#p788169.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

EeDeCe,
Ken has given some very solid advice and I would like to suggest that the oven drying might not be a good idea. Noticing the wooden handles on that fine ol' folding hunter, personally I'd be a bit leery of any knife and that sort of heat.
Having knives from your grandfathers and dad is very special, hang on to 'em tightly! ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
EeDeCe

Post by EeDeCe »

I was looking for recommendations for another oil, so good timing. I'm out of Hoppes gun oil, not sure I like the 3 in 1 for long term and the one I bought that's food safe for the kitchen knives is disappointing. I'll give that a go. Might as well at this point.

I'll probably go with a heat gun or hair dryer but give the light scrub with dawn/water a go.

I appreciate the replies, there's a lot of info here to sort through so it's a big help to get some direction.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I have found the Quick Release to be exceptional.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I used 3inOne oil for years as that’s what dad used. But once I used Quick Release, nothing else will do. A bottle lasts a LONG time. And I’ve seen it bring back snap to knives I thought were hopeless.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
EeDeCe

Post by EeDeCe »

I’ll give it a shot when it comes in. These others I tried didn’t do much. I’ll hold off on the cleaning until after I experiment.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I hope you had a chance to read the second post to which I provided a link. If the blade tang doesn’t flex the back spring when being opened, it is worn down and no amount of cleaning or oil will fix that. On the other hand, if it does flex the backspring, that’s an indication that snap can be restored. It may have dirt, lint or other “gunk” impeding the free movement of the blade when closing. Or, less likely but not impossible, it could be excessive friction (the blade is too tightly squeezed by the bolsters). In which case some good lubricant should help. The pictures in that link I referenced will explain it visually.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

EeDeCe

Post by EeDeCe »

I certainly did and I checked the knife, both blades moved properly. The knife works, I just don’t like the gritty feel and it could be a little easier. It was a well used knife and was pretty dirty, so I tried getting what oil I could on hinges, along the spring etc. Unlike the advice, I soaked it pretty well, with the plan to leave it for a day or two to run off what it could while stood up on end to drain. It helped, but I think some pressure would help. Might try a blast with electronics cleaner, it dries fast and might dislodge some junk.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

EeDeCe wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:36 pm I certainly did and I checked the knife, both blades moved properly. The knife works, I just don’t like the gritty feel and it could be a little easier. It was a well used knife and was pretty dirty, so I tried getting what oil I could on hinges, along the spring etc. Unlike the advice, I soaked it pretty well, with the plan to leave it for a day or two to run off what it could while stood up on end to drain. It helped, but I think some pressure would help. Might try a blast with electronics cleaner, it dries fast and might dislodge some junk.
Try blasting/flooding it with WD-40, until the excess runs out clean. Or you can also try a mild solution of lukewarm water and dish soap. Wash and agitate the knife in it, and scrub the joints, springs and blade wells with an old toothbrush. Rinse well under running tap water, then dry it with a soft cotton cloth. Use compressed air or WD-40 (the WD in the name is for “Water Displacement”) to get any remaining water out. Let it sit overnight, then lube the joints sparingly with light machine oil - 3-in-1 is good, Quick Release is best.

If that doesn’t fix it there is some mechanical problem somewhere.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

I would put it in a zip lock baggie with dry rice.
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::hmm:: I use Rem oil on mine after I touch them up. ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
EeDeCe

Post by EeDeCe »

The Quick Release is very different than the other oil I used and seems to be a lot better. A good bit of grit came out and it already sounds a lot better. I worked it for a while and will let it sit overnight to decide if I want to go on with the soap/water. Very good suggestions, thanks for the info and helpful links.
::tu::

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”