Mini Trapper and Tiny Toothpick made entirely of wood

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
steve99f

Mini Trapper and Tiny Toothpick made entirely of wood

Post by steve99f »

I was at a gun event this past Friday and Saturday and 4 year boy came up to me to show me his two treasures, the 2 knives noted above. These made made entirely of wood, the MT had a shield incised into the handle and both had tang stamps lasered into the wood, a recent mark but really couldn't say what decade. His dad came to me later as I was wearing a CASE ballcap and asked whether I knew anything about them. He said he had searched catalogs and didn't find anything. I had not seen anything like these before but told him they were likely corporate swag give-aways or Case Collector Club items.

So was I right and did Case do any other patterns besides the MT and the toothpick? Sorry pictures now, possibly later. These were the correct length and what surprised me was the wood springs worked. Really neat pieces.

I did run a search but didn't find anything so any info would be appreciated.
steve99f
cody6268

Re: Mini Trapper and Tiny Toothpick made entirely of wood

Post by cody6268 »

SMKW sells wooden kits of most of the more popular Case patterns--some with "wood" handles that are integrated with the wood "bolsters" and others with "hardwood" handles/scales that look like you could use them on actual knives. I've been looking at them to learn to assemble a slipjoint knife properly, but I'm thinking the Rough Ryder or Jantz kits that make actual knives are probably better.

Here's the ones I found.

Trapper
Mini Trapper
Mini Trapper Christmas Ornament (same as above, but with eyelet attached to handle)
Doctor's Knife
Canoe
Tribal Lock
Mini Copperlock

And I know this might sound stupid--but can I take the wood handles from these kits, and put them on an actual knife? Being precut and somewhat finished would save me a lot of trouble.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

And barlow
Attachments
20200823_110010.jpg
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

cody6268 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:54 pm And I know this might sound stupid--but can I take the wood handles from these kits, and put them on an actual knife? Being precut and somewhat finished would save me a lot of trouble.
I bought a couple of those kits from SMKW years ago when they first came out. Assembled one and gave the others away as gifts to my nephews and friends' kids. I thought it was a pretty cool item but for the most part, the kids I gave them to didn't seem that excited about them (evidently, modern kids just aren't interested in anything that's not electronic).

Cody--I really don't think the wood is sturdy enough to use on a real knife...it's very light weight like Balsa wood.
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Thanks guys, I'll have to go check out SMKW. ::tu::
steve99f

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”