Help me identify this old Mini Copperlock

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Iowaboy

Help me identify this old Mini Copperlock

Post by Iowaboy »

So I bought this Mini Copperlock a while back on Ebay, mainly because it was advertised as a 1998, which was the first year of the Mini Copperlock, one year after the original full size Copperlock debuted. Not that I need much of a reason to buy another Mini Copperlock, my favorite Case Pattern...

Anyway, I believe from what I can determine the box is not correct to the knife, though it does have a 1998 date on it. I was told the BWG on the box means Brown Worm Groove, which I don't believe is the jigging on the knife, though worm groove is not a jigging pattern I am up on.

Also, a 1998 Case should have two dots below the USA, but on mini copperlocks it is cramped so I am wondering if what I am seeing is two tiny dots, one if front and one behind the USA. Also trying to determine what the actual case description of this knife, jigging pattern and color would be, assuming the box is not correct.

Can anybody with a 1998 or 1999 mini copperlock verify how they are date stamped? And does anybody know what the right box item and abbreviations would be? Or am I off track and this is the right box?

Thanks!
Tang stamp.jpg
The Box.jpg
The knife.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Help me identify this old Mini Copperlock

Post by doglegg »

Can't help you with your questions but that is a great looking knife. Congrats. ::nod:: ::tu::
Iowaboy

Post by Iowaboy »

Actually I have just looked at worm groove jigging on the Shepherd Hills Cutlery reference site, and it does look somewhat like this knife. At first I thought it was much coarser in the picture, but it does have a similar pattern. Possibly I was thrown off track by a comment on another forum that this box was not for this knife. If it is the correct box, that would be nice. The light color on the picture threw me off, but the pattern does resemble the knife.

worm groove.PNG
worm groove.PNG (29.4 KiB) Viewed 1942 times
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Iowaboy wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:19 pm So I bought this Mini Copperlock a while back on Ebay, mainly because it was advertised as a 1998, which was the first year of the Mini Copperlock, one year after the original full size Copperlock debuted. Not that I need much of a reason to buy another Mini Copperlock, my favorite Case Pattern...

Anyway, I believe from what I can determine the box is not correct to the knife, though it does have a 1998 date on it. I was told the BWG on the box means Brown Worm Groove, which I don't believe is the jigging on the knife, though worm groove is not a jigging pattern I am up on.

Also, a 1998 Case should have two dots below the USA, but on mini copperlocks it is cramped so I am wondering if what I am seeing is two tiny dots, one if front and one behind the USA. Also trying to determine what the actual case description of this knife, jigging pattern and color would be, assuming the box is not correct.

Can anybody with a 1998 or 1999 mini copperlock verify how they are date stamped? And does anybody know what the right box item and abbreviations would be? Or am I off track and this is the right box?

Thanks!Tang stamp.jpgThe Box.jpgThe knife.jpg
Those had "floating" dots.
2 dots is 1998.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Norwood

Post by Norwood »

Iowaboy wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:19 pm

FWIW, my 1998 full-sized Copperlock has the 2 stars flanking the USA, just like your Mini.

Cheers,
Ken
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I don't see anything in the jigging that would make me think it is worm grooved jigging.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Norwood

Post by Norwood »

Iowaboy wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:19 pmso I am wondering if what I am seeing is two tiny dots, one if front and one behind the USA.
Iowaboy,

I knew I had a photo stashed somewhere .... Here are the same 2 dots--the date stamp--on my 1998 Copperlock.

Ken
(Former Iowa Citian)
1998-Copperlock-codes.JPG
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Look up the phone number and call Case. Ask them.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Iowaboy

Post by Iowaboy »

Thanks for the replies, confident it is 1998, which is what I thought, the tang stamp is crowded on a mini copperlock.

Phil said he did not think it was worm groove, so that would mean the box is not correct?

What jigging pattern do you think it is? I don't have much to compare it to, the only thing is the worm groove picture. I have no other Case knives with a worm groove jigging.

Does anyone have a Case knife with worm groove jigged handles they can show a picture of so I have an actual work groove jigged knife to compare it against? Thanks.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Here's a photo I robbed from an ebay listing that says it's worm groove jigging on a Case knife.
Attachments
Case Worm Groove Jigging.jpg
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

I believe the bone on your knife was called Antique Bone (darker and prettier to me than the similar Amber Bone). Case released an entire set of single blade knives in the oatmeal colored Antique Bone in 2002. I have one of the 6147 jackknives. OH
Attachments
Case 6147 SS-2002 Mark.JPG
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”