Is this knife worth it?

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Is this knife worth it?

Post by knifeaholic »

This seller has put up some good knives over the past couple of months.

I believe that the posted knife is a Case Classic.

However, I do not see the date stamp which is (on Case Classics) always the year itself....like 19 USA 90...never Case's standard dotting or dot/x stamps.

Definitely not an old knife.
GARRYOWEN83

Post by GARRYOWEN83 »

By the tang stamp I thought it was a old knife. Thanks for all the info. Im gonna stay away from it.
"GARRYOWEN" is the spirit of the 7th Cavalry
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

GARRYOWEN83 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:13 am By the tang stamp I thought it was a old knife. Thanks for all the info. Im gonna stay away from it.
I agree with earlier opinions that the knife you are asking about is the Case Classic C51050L from 1990. If you like the pattern and you are patient, good examples of this knife at a reasonable price pop up several times per year. The Case Tested XX C51050L rendition of this knife is very difficult to find.

For reference, an example of each is provided below. The factory bail on the original C51050L makes it even rarer.
Attachments
Case Classic 51050L #3 small.jpg
Case Tested XX C51050L SAB #3a NB.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

GARRYOWEN83 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:13 am By the tang stamp I thought it was a old knife. Thanks for all the info. Im gonna stay away from it.
If you look at knives long enough and study the genuine old ones, the tang stamp is the last thing you need to look at to tell if it’s really an old one. I’m glad you asked before bidding.

Jerry thanks for showing those. They’re fine examples! ::tu:: One of the first things that I noticed on the OP knife was that the long pull doesn’t look the same as the pull on a Tested era knife. If you look closely you can see the difference between the two knives in your pictures.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Has all the classic look of a new Case Classic. Nothing old about it.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”