Case Brothers Help

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
chorizotaco

Case Brothers Help

Post by chorizotaco »

I'm trying to help a guy find out more about this little Case Brothers knife. Thank you.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case Brothers Help

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Can’t tell much from those pictures. Possibly a Case Brothers pattern 7206. What does your friend want to know about it?

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
chorizotaco

Post by chorizotaco »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:35 pm Can’t tell much from those pictures. Possibly a Case Brothers pattern 7206. What does your friend want to know about it?

Ken
Hi Ken, he wants to know age/value. I sent him a link to some history but he was wondering if the handles were shell.

Dan
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Case Brothers came into being around 1896-97. For the first few years they were jobbers, with most of their knives made for them by C. Platts & Sons. In 1900 they opened a factory and began making their own knives. The handles on the knife are probably genuine tortoiseshell, although I believe celluloid was around at the time the knife was made. Somewhere here there’s info about tests you can do to determine if it’s celluloid. Case Brothers went bankrupt in 1915, mostly the result of a 1912 fire which destroyed their factory. It’s my opinion that there were likely very few knives made between 1912-1915.

Sargent’s lists the 7206 at $400 if mint, FWIW. Hard to tell condition from the pictures but my guesstimate is maybe half that assuming it still has good walk and talk, handles aren’t cracked or broken, etc. If those or similar flaws are present the value goes down substantially. Of course if it’s better than that it goes up.

Ken.
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
chorizotaco

Post by chorizotaco »

Thank you for the information.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

That's a great looking little H.O.K! Small knives usually don't get the sales prices larger knives get. How does he plan on selling it? If on eBay he could do an Ended Auction search on Case Bros. knives to see what they are selling for. Just a suggestion and thanks for posting. ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

I've had a couple of Case Brothers with similar handles that were celluloid.Looks to be in pretty good condition, but not a high dollar pattern.
Roger

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”