For flesh only

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Ky wonder

For flesh only

Post by Ky wonder »

Noticed that phrase on my old stockman,
Wondered how frequent that was?
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: For flesh only

Post by philco »

The "For Flesh Only" was commonly used by Case on their spay blades for many years. The spay blade is hollow ground and can be a bit light weight for heavier cutting tasks. Is your knife a Case ?
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Used by Camillus too.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

That blade was most commonly intended for cutting hogs and dogs (castrating) so it needed to be razor sharp and if you used it to scrape mud off the sole of your boot or cut electrical wire, you would dull it and it wouldn't do a decent job of what it was designed for. Whew! Talk about your run on sentences.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Case used the For Flesh Only etch consistently on 18, 47, 047, and 087 patterns until it was discontinued in the early 1980’s. Somewhere here there is a post from Steve Pfeiffer saying there were a couple of years in the early 1970’s when for some reason use of the etch was inconsistent.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Ky wonder

Post by Ky wonder »

Thanks guys. It's on a case from 76, I just dont ever remember seeing it
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

I believe this is the Thread Ken was talking about. Steve (aka: Knifeaholic) posted at the end.
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=68214&p=851255&hil ... ly#p851255
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
TPK

Post by TPK »

Ky wonder wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:48 pm Thanks guys. It's on a case from 76, I just dont ever remember seeing it
::welcome:: to the AAPK! ::handshake:: :D Good people here, glad you came! ::tu:: ::nod::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Ky wonder wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:43 am Noticed that phrase on my old stockman,
Wondered how frequent that was?
Welcome from another Kentuckian. I have both CASE and Camillus knives with that etch. And as Cuz (JerryD) mentioned that’s exactly what it was used for. I still don’t use a spey blade for anything but flesh. From castrating, to opening up wounds on livestock it’s a handy blade.

Which stockman is it, we love pics? And especially of this one as I’m a ‘76 model too!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Toejammer

Post by Toejammer »

Well, I learn something new again !

I always thought the "for flesh only" etch was a warning, so that your unsuspecting friend doesn't try to cut his ham sandwich with it after a long day of branding / castrating. ::doh::
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Bruce Lee
rugmar

Post by rugmar »

Toejammer wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:11 pm Well, I learn something new again !

I always thought the "for flesh only" etch was a warning, so that your unsuspecting friend doesn't try to cut his ham sandwich with it after a long day of branding / castrating. ::doh::
Now that right there is funny. I don’t care who you are!
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Nah, you just wipe the blade on your jeans or overalls and use it to cut your sandwich. Everyone who lives on a farm or ranch knows denim cleans and sanitizes. :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:15 am

Nah, you just wipe the blade on your jeans or overalls and use it to cut your sandwich. Everyone who lives on a farm or ranch knows denim cleans and sanitizes. :lol:

Ken
Amen! Pa used the spey blade for “cutting “ hogs, calves, and horse colts. The sheepsfoot to cut a chew off a twist of tobacco, and the clip blade on his XX 6375 for everything else. All I ever saw him do was wipe the blade on the legs of his Big Mac overalls. No germs!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”